350 Chevy & TH400 in a FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive got a complete chevy 350 and transfer case with a TH400 transmission i'd like to put in my 1972 fj40 does anyone have any advice i might could use on this instalation?

Read the post Cruisin! He has the complete drivetrain, including engine, tranny and transfer case, so no adapters are needed. The transfer case will have a centered rear output. Although you may be able to run this with your offset rear axle, a better solution would be to replace your rear with a centered axle, either a modified Cruiser assembly, a minitruck, a Dana or a Ford.

yer fast/easy/cheap swap is likely a centered minitruck rear axle....6-bolt already, and IIRC, the early 80's models are the correct width even. See the tech section for "centered rear diff options" and get some ideas there.

IMO, running a offset t-case with a centered diff is a very poor idea, tho I know people do it.

Your only other issue will be length. the t-case is likely a 205 or 208...their high centered output will make for a steep rear shaft, and reversing the rear springs for another 3.5" of wheelbase is a smart idea (as is a anti-wrap bar!)

[quote author=Medusa link=board=1;threadid=4472;start=msg33547#msg33547 date=1061410375]
Read the post Cruisin! He has the complete drivetrain, including engine, tranny and transfer case, so no adapters are needed. The transfer case will have a centered rear output. Although you may be able to run this with your offset rear axle, a better solution would be to replace your rear with a centered axle, either a modified Cruiser assembly, a minitruck, a Dana or a Ford.
[/quote]
My bad, I originally mentioned that my choice would be to use a Toyota T-case, in which case he would need some adapters.

You will have to have the fixed yoke version of the NP205, they made several with a slip in the rear and it is way too long for a 40 unless you are gonna do some serious wheelbase stretchin'
Butch

same boat. i've been asking all around about putting in a th350 and noone has suggested a chevy t/case and a different rear end to me. this does sound less expensive than buying a $560 adapter. can someone explain this in more detail to me? what post 'cruisin' am i looking for? i can't seem to find that.

I was planning on useing the complete chevy set (350,transfer case and transmission i might even put chevy 3/4 ton axles under it.

[quote author=milesstarkey link=board=1;threadid=4472;start=msg33655#msg33655 date=1061443305]
same boat. i've been asking all around about putting in a th350 and noone has suggested a chevy t/case and a different rear end to me. this does sound less expensive than buying a $560 adapter. can someone explain this in more detail to me? what post 'cruisin' am i looking for? i can't seem to find that.
[/quote]

Not sure it's "less expensive" or not....the rear axle is $100-200, add in a locker, add in a new rear driveshaft and the work to a front one to get yokes to match, and add in yer fab time/cost to mount it all up.

I was planning on useing the complete chevy set (350,transfer case and transmission i might even put chevy 3/4 ton axles under it.

Adding Chev axles into the mix makes somethings easier, others not. Shafts will be simpler, just retubing. Add in custom perch setups, steering changes, rim offsets/bolt patterns, etc and it will be a good project. IMO, if you're not using a D60 in the front with that rear 14-bolt, yer wasting yer money...the D44, even the HD one, isn't up to "real" wheeling.

what's involved in changing the rear axle? is it cutting the old one out and welding the new one in? does the frame need modified? what about the brakes? what chevy axles will fit best?
and how does the chevy transfer case shifter find it's way into the cabin of the fj40? i have the shifter under the dash, which i hate, so all of these things are things i wanted to change anyway. if i'm going to spend money, i want to do it right the first time. i wish i could just sit down with one of you guys and talk for a few hours over some beer.

one more question (for tonight) how would the chevy transfer case hook up to my old ramsey winch, or would it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom