35’ on stock suspension???? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are open to 17's, there are a few 255/80R17's in A/T to choose from.

If you are open to 17's, there are a few 255/80R17's in A/T to choose from.
Thanks! I was looking at rock warrior 17's for 1k on Craigslist, but thinking on saving costs and sticking to 16" so limited my choices to those two in previous post (295/75/16 and 255/85/16) I have 30K on AT3Ws so not in a rush to upgrade but already doing research so I can upgrade in the next 10k miles or so.

I'm lifted 2" in the front and 3+" in the rear. With 285/75/R15 tires I rub on the pinch weld when I turn in the driveway. Caster has been adjusted forward to the max. I know that need to do the pinch weld mod. My rear tires also rub when I turn in the driveway. I'm not sure what I need to do about the rear rub.

To gain one inch of ground clearance will require 35" tires.

I've seen enough to know that I will need to upsize to a tire size between to gain clearance run with the local SAS Jeep crowd that are on 37" to 40" tires.

So knowing that I'll never get the ground clearance to run with the trucks on 40" tires, I'm just going to accept my truck's limitations on 33" tires and enjoy great handling from reduced "below the suspension line deadweight" that comes from lightweight wheels that let me enjoy running fast, quick braking and cornering on the switchbacks.

1641038335559.png

Nice Jeep.. But I'll never be this.

1641039173124.png

Last edited:
I'm lifted 2" in the front and 3+" in the rear. With 285/75/R15 tires I rub on the pinch weld when I turn in the driveway. Caster has been adjusted forward to the max.

That’s curious, because I’ve had zero issues with 285/75R16….

Aren’t the SCS F5 wheels +10mm offset?

Aren’t the OE wheels +60mm offset?

Doesn’t that mean that with SCS F5 wheels, the tires are “pushed” outward nearly 2 inches (which would seem to have a role in your tire/fender interference)?

That’s curious, because I’ve had zero issues with 285/75R16….

Aren’t the SCS F5 wheels +10mm offset?

Aren’t the OE wheels +60mm offset?

Doesn’t that mean that with SCS F5 wheels, the tires are “pushed” outward nearly 2 inches (which would seem to have a role in your tire/fender interference)?

It does. They have an additional poke. The rub only happens when I turn into the driveway. I'm sure it happens off-roading, just not noticeable like the driveway.

Last edited:
Yeah leaning away from this and thinking of 295/75/16 with minimal rub, and then in off road trails can hit the high button for instant 2" lift to help. The Geolander has a high overall diameter of 33.7 compared to its peers in the 33.3 diameter range, my other option is 255/85/16 Toyo Open Country MT which has a nice overall diameter of 33.5 but I really want a do it all tire so trying to stick with AT so leaning towards geolander.

My current tire, 285/75/16 AT3W has an overall diameter of 32.8! what a let down!

Note: 295 16 are a rare size w. Limited SoCal stock. I looke but discount tire had only 5 in Cali about 6m ago.

Note: 295 16 are a rare size w. Limited SoCal stock. I looke but discount tire had only 5 in Cali about 6m ago.

Thanks but I would have them shipped in, if I go to discount tire/Americas tire site it says in stock and can arrive in a few days.

I'm running around in my '99 LX470 on some studded 315/70/17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3's for winter.

I sort of winged it, and ordered some discounted methods. Unfortunately, I ordered 0 offset wheels, which provided more poke than I would have liked. Since this is just for a winter set, I figured I would give it a shot on the stock LX.

I ended up adjusting the sensor sliders in the front to max, changing the AHC fluid and adjusting for pressure values via TechStream. This got me to my standardized ride height and flattened out the rake a bit.

Test fit the wheels, put it on "L", marked a few places to cut. Folded the pinch welds over with a 3lb sledge, cut the inner lower part of the fender, trimmed the splash guard and then re-formed it with a hot air gun. Cut the bumper a bit too.

Due to the offset, I had to extend my bump stops a bit. In "N", I end up with about 3" of up-travel (at the tire) in the front, and 4" in the rear, just to keep the tire from smashing the fender. A more positive offset wheel to help it tuck would be beneficial and probably result in another inch or two of travel.

I had the tires laying around from a raptor I sold, and they are basically brand new. The wheel offset seems to be the bigger pain to fit, rather than the tire. Truck rides great and doesn't seem to mind the 35's. My guess is that the rack feels fine because I'm driving on snow and ice; I can't imagine it will be excited with more traction.

IMG-3062.jpg
IMG-3068.jpg
IMG-3054.jpg
IMG-3055.jpg

IMG-3055.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom