300 series revealed? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's exceedingly rare to see that level of stripped out in any vehicle on the market. Lest it be a fleet or contractor grade pickup. And those have good cupholders.

IMO, the 79 is only put on a pedestal as it's unobtanium, with overlanding styling cred in spades. Watching AUS channels that feature the 79, they don't have good articulation. Poor ride comfort. Poor handling and turning radius. Diminutive size that's about what a 4runner is. What they do have is tractor levels of durability and ease of repair. With enough lockers, can be a goat off-road.

I have to agree. As I understand, these would not exist if it wasn't for the mining industry in Australia and Africa. I like the durability, but not sure I'd want to take extended road trips in one without spending a ton on suspension and sound dampening. 200 seems so much more refined. 300 will be interesting.

How about an airliner?

'In the US, airlines require pilots to maintain manual oversight and control. Asian carriers, on the other hand require pilots to use autopilot as much as possible. “Asiana prohibits the first officer from landing the plane by flying it, it must be automated,” says Moss. “The captain is prohibited from manually flying above 3,000 feet.”
I was going to basically say the same thing. Well said

NO way I will ever ride in a self driving vehicle--never, ever

Depending upon your age, you make be walking, cycling, or staying home a lot in the future.

I view it as the best of both worlds. I’d love to leave the house at 4am for an 8am meeting four hours away and sleep, read, or drink coffee. Or save the hotel fee by driving home over night on autopilot. I don’t think I’ll miss the mundane, but rather enjoy the trip more because I can stretch out, relax, and enjoy the view. Or simply read the WSJ on my half hour daily commute.

And unless steering wheels go completely away, one could always re-engage. Especially off-road. And just think, you could essentially add a day to either side of your trips by letting the truck drive to/from while you sleep.

I was going to basically say the same thing. Well said

I agree with this, however, when variables can be controlled. In the air, it’s a different game and pilots are held to different standards that drivers on the road. As time passes tech will get better, howeevr, the unknown is still other drivers on the road. Call me a control freak but i still rather make the decisions on the road. I also don’t proclaim myself to be the best driver out there, but have spent enough time in Seattle that having others in self driving cars would not be a bad thing (drivers are awful here- indecisive, stop to merge and conceptually misunderstand what a passing lane is). Drives me bananas. I also believe this is a growing national problem as kids don’t want to drive and eventually learn to drive later in life out of necessity not independence... creates anxiety and it feels like some instinctual aspects go out the window.

I agree with this, however, when variables can be controlled. In the air, it’s a different game and pilots are held to different standards that drivers on the road. As time passes tech will get better, howeevr, the unknown is still other drivers on the road. Call me a control freak but i still rather make the decisions on the road. I also don’t proclaim myself to be the best driver out there, but have spent enough time in Seattle that having others in self driving cars would not be a bad thing (drivers are awful here- indecisive, stop to merge and conceptually misunderstand what a passing lane is). Drives me bananas. I also believe this is a growing national problem as kids don’t want to drive and eventually learn to drive later in life out of necessity not independence... creates anxiety and it feels like some instinctual aspects go out the window.
One of the big arguments is that people are the variables. If all or most of the cars were self driving and at the capacity to communicate with one another like the new Mercedes variables in human factors are taken out of the equation.

Won’t happen.

Yeah, I don't see it happening either - isn't the EU forcing the manufacturers to give up diesels?

And with the wildfires in Australia, the TV news sort of implies a fallout being our friends down under might be moving away from coal and diesel before long too.

It's looking more and more to me that we are in a mini-industrial revolution. Unfortunately for old dog (no new tricks) guys like me, I think petroleum fuel-only vehicles are dead - they just don't know it yet.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't see it happening either - isn't the EU forcing the manufacturers to give up diesels?

And with the wildfires in Australia, the TV news sort of implies a fallout being our friends down under might be moving away from coal and diesel before long too.

It's looking more and more to me that we are in a mini-industrial revolution. Unfortunately for old dog (no new tricks) guys like me, I think petroleum fuel-only vehicles are dead - they just don't know it yet.

it will take 50 years to get gas operated vehicles off the market

it will take 50 years to get gas operated vehicles off the market
We will see. It’s moving exponentially, even faster now that Tesla is worth more than double of all the American “big 3” combined and valued #2 behind toyota. 5 years ago I would have thought 50 years. Now I’m thinking 10-20.

Yeah, but that value is based upon speculation along with other Tesla ventures. The revenue from the Auto sales doesn’t justify the valuation.

Yeah, but that value is based upon speculation along with other Tesla ventures. The revenue from the Auto sales doesn’t justify the valuation.
I agree, That is the argument I have with my wife daily when she wants to buy more Tesla stock... but it is hard to deny how well it’s value has held and how it has defied logic.

The trouble with unjustified valuations is that they're straw houses. Great while they're standing. But they can burn down quickly in a fire. I like to invest in brick and steel. I'll take market returns for market risk.

I agree, That is the argument I have with my wife daily when she wants to buy more Tesla stock... but it is hard to deny how well it’s value has held and how it has defied logic.
It’s a momentum play now. There is a lot of risk of a correction in their stock price.

Of course, if I really understood the market I’d be retired and living large...

It’s a momentum play now. There is a lot of risk of a correction in their stock price.

Of course, if I really understood the market I’d be retired and living large...
yeah I hear that. I bought (what I consider) a small wager of Tesla as a roll of the dice last summer when it fell. Early this month I sold (or jumped off the bucking horse) when the initial run got crazy. I’m not buying back unless it falls to reality, which I think it will some day? But who knows, The entire market is scaring me more every day.

Stock market value is not based on current value, its based on what the market thinks the future value is. This goes for all stock valuations. The stock market is looking ahead, which is why recessions and stock market declines don't always coincide -- in fact stock market corrections tend to happen well before recessions. There are many good reasons for the current Tesla valuation, though I wouldn't touch the stock myself. I don't ever invest in individual stocks.

Every short seller of Tesla stock is about ready to file for bankruptcy. The man isn't building a car company he's building a movement, so the normal gravity applied to valuation goes out the window. I bet there isn't a gas vehicle sold in western Europe by 2030-40.

yeah I hear that. I bought (what I consider) a small wager of Tesla as a roll of the dice last summer when it fell. Early this month I sold (or jumped off the bucking horse) when the initial run got crazy. I’m not buying back unless it falls to reality, which I think it will some day? But who knows, The entire market is scaring me more every day.
I agree the markets seem so artificial. I'm 28-32% over last year for a correction, it's not sustainable... but with the overnight rates where else is one going to put money?
Tesla feels like a high-tech Chrysler with Elon's behaviors adding volatility; I'm happy with the stock over other non-bio manufacturing for long term but my financial advisor is not a fan.
What do you all think about Bollinger? I have one on order and I'm thinking about cancelling it because there is still the need to work through a dealer and I've not heard boo on it for awhile.

I agree the markets seem so artificial. I'm 28-32% over last year for a correction, it's not sustainable... but with the overnight rates where else is one going to put money?
Tesla feels like a high-tech Chrysler with Elon's behaviors adding volatility; I'm happy with the stock over other non-bio manufacturing for long term but my financial advisor is not a fan.
What do you all think about Bollinger? I have one on order and I'm thinking about cancelling it because there is still the need to work through a dealer and I've not heard boo on it for awhile.
My wife is on our 2nd Tesla, has an S for 3 years then sold it and got a model 3, 1.5 years ago. The cars are fast, drive great, and are rock solid, pretty much no PM and almost nothing to fail. I have a reservation on a Rivian SUV and a Cyber truck to replace my LX570 as my primary driver, although I’ll most likely keep the LX. Just waiting to see which one pans out the best once they hit around a year of production.

mad for bollinger I don’t think much is known and to me they seem well behind Tesla and Rivian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom