300 Series intercoolers are vulnerable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many reviews before anyone driving a 300 thought the intercoolers would be vulnerable.

I split the left-hand one in this plunge. There was a bit of a bump but nothing too horrible - potentially the water rushing up underneath caused the damage. I have hit Toyota up as a warranty issue - we'll see how that goes.

The intercoolers are only available in Japan at the moment - so 3 to 8 weeks. We have rerouted the system so she is running on just one till it's repaired (Toyota didn't think of this).

300 Series - ih8mud

In the mean time. Here is drawings indicating where she split.
3C5ED77B-A579-40F7-B8EA-295BE94EC781.jpeg

This is a diesel engine-only issue. The gas engine intercooler is on top of the engine.

EDIT: I was incorrect. The gas engines also have them.

Odd they didn't run across this in field testing.

Last edited:
They (one each side) are pretty high up behind the bull bar - but there is loads of ventilation... i.e. gaps
Intercooler location.jpg

Yikes, that's not good and unpleasantly surprising.

Last edited:
Any update on this issue/vulnerability??

On a stock Sequoia: The design complexity is based on constraints. As such, they will inherently be vulnerable.

7107411A-E8B6-45BF-9A53-9202EE93E809.jpeg
0369503A-B454-4C66-80A0-A52A23BB7D6A.jpeg
IMG_3833.jpeg

So LX/LC300 has the same issue then?
I don’t know. I have no experience personally. But from a design POV, they inherently had to make engineering decisions for all possible users.

In NA, the frequency of the inter coolers having issues will be much less than in other markets based purely on use parameters.

That said, the inter coolers are in the same place for these engines, ergo, they might exhibit long term use issues based on operational environment.

Most of these will be “designed in”: ie: failure rates might differ between platforms and markets, but long term amortization of warranty issues across say 100-200k vehicles manufactured yearly will be minuscule vis-a-vis design/manufacturing and service part cost.

Think like an accountant. That’s the only metric that counts for Toyota…. Or for any large manufacturing operation. When a company manufactured 10 million vehicles in one year, the bets are on the accountants.

I don’t know. I have no experience personally. But from a design POV, they inherently had to make engineering decisions for all possible users.

In NA, the frequency of the inter coolers having issues will be much less than in other markets based purely on use parameters.

That said, the inter coolers are in the same place for these engines, ergo, they might exhibit long term use issues based on operational environment.

Most of these will be “designed in”: ie: failure rates might differ between platforms and markets, but long term amortization of warranty issues across say 100-200k vehicles manufactured yearly will be minuscule vis-a-vis design/manufacturing and service part cost.

Think like an accountant. That’s the only metric that counts for Toyota…. Or for any large manufacturing operation. When a company manufactured 10 million vehicles in one year, the bets are on the accountants.
Thanks for explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom