30.6 inch tires too wimpy looking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to get ya'lls opinion if the tires I've chosen will look too puny.

My gf and I have quit our jobs and are moving to Jackson Hole. The LX450 will be our only vehicle.

Initially I thought about 265/70/16 Duratracs or KO2s. They would be good enough in the snow and let me explore in the summer.

However, :princess: drives like Ricky Bobby and safety is a priority. So I've decided to get dedicated snow tires and the Blizzak DM-V2 appear to be the best. But tire rack says the diameter is only 30.6 inches. The OEMs are already wimpy, will these be laughable? Not noticeable? Is there a better snow tire option? Opinions?

Tire Rack Specs
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2

Welcome to AsspenHole
- I think they'll be fine. The KO/2 as well. Change in driving habits....

Last edited:
big fan of smaller tires- makes a better driver. Unless you need clearance, I say stay stick with the smallest tire your roads require. it's cheaper and if it looks whimpy, but you know how to drive it, it'll only make guys with bigger tires feel worse about their shortcomings...more is not always better...

Threads asking about how tires look remind me of those Corbin Benson "Do these jeans make my butt look big?" ads.

I think more important than the look of the vehicle or even the "drivability" is the question of safety in snow, right? Getting some studs in whatever tire you get will move you more in the direction of safety.

If I were you, I wouldn't change the size of the tires in a snow tire mostly because you wont be used to the vehicle with a smaller tire. The LX450 is pretty powerful and will only feel more so with smaller rubber. Torque is not your friend in snow and ice. Smaller tire will increase torque because the engine will be revving a bit higher to propel the vehicle at a given speed compared to larger diameter tires. Also, practice driving in a snow-covered parking log before you and your lady get out onto the road wouldn't hurt either.

I've gone through the same process. I'm from WI and went to college in western MA. When my ex girlfriend from CA moved to MA we got her snow tires immediately. She didn't crash once though she did have to change her driving habits to not driving during the winter at all and I drover her ass everywhere in the 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom