3 inch exhaust - how much benefit for an N/A 1HZ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDM Journeys

Threads
I'm still in the early stages of assessment, and parts acquisition, but my original exhaust with 240k kms on it has some pinholes that I can see (wheel-well) and probably more holes that I can't see. If I'm not planning to turbo it (I like the simplicity of it as is), will I see much benefit to a 3" exhaust, or would I be better off just getting the factory pieces and bolting on a brand new OEM system? If I went 3", I'd have to have a shop custom make it. Bolt on - I could do myself.

I'm at 1100m, so not super high altitude. My use will be mainly soft-roading, and long trips on back roads... I'm also less accepting of droning noises than I used to be. 🙉 Opinions from those who've driven both?

I've read that 1HZ's respond well to quality headers (extractors as some call them) and a free flowing exhaust. Improves the top end a bit. Fella in our local club has headers and stainless exhaust in his HZJ73, and goes good. 3" might be a bit big for non-turbo application? 2.5" (mandrel bent) might be best? Do a bit of reading and see what others have done.

index.php

Most Aussies that turbo the 1hz mildly go with a 2.5" exhaust. Reason is that 2.5" flows more than enough whilst still maintaining decent back pressure.

A 3" exhaust is not going to benefit a N/A 1hz. Certantly not seat if the pants. Extractors yes, a little, but the 1hz is a total slug unless many thousands are poured into it. Stock for stock, a 2f makes similar power, and I garentee it will go better to put perspective on it.

There's no need for a 3" exhaust on an N/A 1HZ. Extractors pick up a few horses on the dyno but she'll still be slow

i had extractors, and 2.5. No difference on teh butt dyno, but she did sound better. I didnt see an increase in mpg either. I went 3 in when i turboed

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Much appreciated. Sounds like 3 inch isn't worth the cost/hassle. Still weighing OEM versus exhaust shop bent 2.5". But holes in the body will get fixed before holes in the exhaust. :)

You do not need back pressure for a diesel. You need to evacuate as much heat as possible. I wouldn’t think twice about going with 3” on a NA 1HZ and probably will in the figure as I have a bunch of the stuff laying around opposed to 2.5”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom