3.4 Liter 5VZ-FE Engine Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy Dudes,

If you were looking for a tutorial on how to swap out your 3.4 liter engine, we've got a video series that can help you out. It's divided into 4 Parts.

Part 1 covers how to remove the old engine from your vehicle.
Part 2 covers stripping down the old motor of the parts you need to install on the new motor.
Part 3 covers building up the new motor with parts from the old engine and some new parts.
Part 4 covers installing the new motor.

Just watched the first video. I've never done a motor removal or install and its always seemed like such a huge, daunting task, so I've hoped I never would have to. I have done transmission removal/installs and just needed the right tools to get those done.

Still hope I never have to pull/swap a motor, but, after watching that video, I feel much more confident I could do it, no problem.

Nice job guys. 👍

Thanks for creating these tutorials. The timing belt vid helped a ton.
Pretty soon I'll be swapping in a jdm 3.4 into the 4rrunner. Seems fairly straightforward, but I dont remember if you address some if the quirks with using a jdm imported engine. I'll watch it again anyway!

Thanks for creating these tutorials. The timing belt vid helped a ton.
Pretty soon I'll be swapping in a jdm 3.4 into the 4rrunner. Seems fairly straightforward, but I dont remember if you address some if the quirks with using a jdm imported engine. I'll watch it again anyway!

No, we don't cover what doesn't work from a JDM engine swap. I have heard that it's not plug and play but luckily you have your old engine to pull parts off of.

Buying my first Tacoma hopefully tomorrow, 95 with 3.4 with 188k. Looking for problem areas or concerns. For what I've read so far they are a really good engine if taken care of but are there common issues to be aware of and and did that motor evolve and become better and thus is this motor have specific issues to look for? Thanks!

Buying my first Tacoma hopefully tomorrow, 95 with 3.4 with 188k. Looking for problem areas or concerns. For what I've read so far they are a really good engine if taken care of but are there common issues to be aware of and and did that motor evolve and become better and thus is this motor have specific issues to look for? Thanks!

These are fantastic motors that will last a long time if maintained properly. First thing I would look for would be to see if there is a sticker on the timing belt cover showing the timing belt had been done before. If not or you don't know, that would be the first item I would replace. You can buy a good OEM timing belt kit that comes with the water pump online.

I would also do your spark plugs and all the belts - pretty much your normal preventative maintenance. Hope you got and are enjoying your new Tacoma.

You can also check the FAQ section on this forum for some additional info as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom