3/4 elliptectal front (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to be doing a motor swap in my 75' fj40 pretty soon here and I was thinking of doing a shackle reversal while it was apart. I was thinking of doing a 3/4 elliptectal (dune buggy type) front spring mounts in the back instead of just plain shackles. Just wondering what your ideas were about this and if anyone has done it before. I just need more flex and this seems like a fairly simple way.

Do the buggy springs in the rear not the front. You don't want to make the steering end of the vehicle any looser than it already is.
If you are serious about flex do an SOA on stock springs or on 55 springs. Your 4" springs with tall shackles comes out about the same height as SOA but the difference in flex is astounding. Mine is SOA and scores an easy 1000 on RTI. My partner is +4 w/shackles and can't get even close.

Oh,yeah. One more thing. When you run buggy springs the axle can swing down to a pretty radical angle and if you combine that with shackle reversal you'd need a really really long slip joint in the front drive shaft.

I use 6-7" of slip with a normal SOA and reversal....the buggies only make that much worse. I also use all of a 14" stroke shock, no buggies or funky shackles required....

IMO, not something I would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom