2WD Lo mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a KZJ70 and I do do a lot of shunting heavy trailers with it. Ideally Id be using the lo box for this as it puts less pressure on the clutch and drive chain but some of the trailers are in a yard with concrete surface so I shouldn't be using 4x4 or else Ill get wind up problems and break something.

At the moment Im disengaging the manual free wheeling hubs to shunt in these yards in Lo but its a pain in the arse having to get out and engage the hubs when I need to take a trailer up a muddy track.

I have the 4x4 system where I press a button on the dash to engage 4x4 Hi and use the transfer lever to engage 4x4 Lo. Ive heard that the Diahatsu Fourtrak (Rugger in some countries) has a similar setup and there is a mod for the Diahatsu where by unplugging something on the transfer box enables you to select 2WD Lo. Basically when you put the transfer lever in Lo it doesn't select 4x4, only when you press the dash button does it select 4x4. So you can select 2WD hi (transfer in Hi), 4x4 Hi (Transfer in Hi, dash button depressed), 2WD Lo (Transfer in Lo), 4x4 Lo (Transfer in Lo, Dash button depressed).

Does any one know if it is possible to do something like this on a 70 series?

easy there are two round plugs at the top of the transfer case, they hard to see which one it is, but you can get your hand up there and I just unplugged the first one I could get my hands on and I lucked out, if it doesn't work plug it back in and try the other one. Easy one minute mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom