2UZ-FE (UZJ100) - Is my starter failing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning mud,

'99 LX470 with 301,000 miles. OEM starter.

I've read a lot of posts about starter issues on the 2UZ-FE, and every post talks about a starter working intermittently, or clicking noises and the starter not working at all. None of these symptoms match mine.

My starter turns the engine over and it starts every time. I will say it sounds like it's taking the starter a few more revolutions before the engine starts. Right when the engine starts and the starter is disengaging the crank, I hear a whining noise. Sounds like a slipping belt, or a slipping clutch (similar to a failing AC clutch). I've confirmed this is not my serpentine belt, and the noise is clearly coming from the back of the engine where the starter is located. I have a 6 month old Optima Red Top battery that is sitting at 12.5 volts at start up so I don't think it's a battery issue. The noise after the engine start up is leading me to believe it's the starter.

Is this a sign of a failing starter? Is there a clutch in there that fails at some point? Is there anyway to confirm or do i just need to keep driving it until the symptoms really show? Any help is much appreciated. I have a road trip up to the OBX in a week and don't want to be stranded on the sand with a dead starter. If I need to proactively replace it, i'll do it this weekend.

Thanks,
Eliot

Temporarily remove your serpentine belt (which will eliminate) all of the rotating parts at the front of the engine (except for those associated with the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, etc...)

Then start your engine and listen for the sound. IF you still feel the noise is conclusively confined to the rear of the engine then yes, I would suspect your starter.

The transmission pump can also make some noise in that same area.

Given the mileage and age of your vehicle...chances are good that your starter bendix is not retracting fully or the solenoid is sticking and causing starter 'run on' though not engaging the flexplate.

IF the starter is the original (or you suspect it is) then replacing it 'preventatively' would not be a bad idea. You have certainly gotten all the good out of it.

flintknapper,

Thanks for the feedback. After I posted the starting noise got worse. I just decided it was time to do the starter. I'm half way through the job with the new starter (toyota reman) in place. Intake manifold is soaking in carb cleaner because there was some serious oil build up in there. Sure enough, the starter in my truck is not original. It's a Bosch reman. Probably a low quality rebuild. No idea when it was done as it's not in the service records.

I'll report back when I bolt everything together and start it back up.

Toyota reman starter installed and the noise is gone. As flintknapper states could have been a failing solenoid or the nose gear bearing may have been squeeling at me.

I will say that Toyota starter is so smooth and balanced. It’s night and day from that Bosch reman (albeit is was failing).

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Toyota reman starter installed and the noise is gone. As flintknapper states could have been a failing solenoid or the nose gear bearing may have been squeezing at me.

I will say that Toyota starter is so smooth and balanced. It’s night and day from that Bosch reman (albeit is was failing).

Thanks for the help!

Replacing the starter is not a fun job, I've been there.

Glad you got your problem sorted out. You should be good to go...for a long time now.

Good job Sir!

Flint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom