2UZ-FE Camshaft install help....please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks,

We really need some help here. See link below. We cannot get the camshafts to sit right in the head and we are rather dead in the water until we figure this out. We are reluctant to tighten them down with the bearing caps as we have already snapped the left bank intake cam trying this approach.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Folks,

We really need some help here. See link below. We cannot get the camshafts to sit right in the head and we are rather dead in the water until we figure this out. We are reluctant to tighten them down with the bearing caps as we have already snapped the left bank intake cam trying this approach.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Adding @OTRAMM

Techinfo.toyota.com you can buy 2 day access to the factory manual and get all of the procedures. I haven't done cams in a 2UZ but I'd bet they're like a 1FZ with a very specific install position and cap tightening sequence.

Thanks, we did that. We are following the Toyota and Haynes instructions exactly and it won't sit in the journals. Left bank went perfect. About to start the right (the problem bank). Y'all pray for us.

@chbrow10 i have a torn down 2uz 05/06 model from a tundra VVTi etc. It threw a rod, everything else is there though. If you have trouble finding cams let me know I might be able to help.

edit:
Seeing I’m a few weeks late now....hope you got it figured out

@chbrow10 i have a torn down 2uz 05/06 model from a tundra VVTi etc. It threw a rod, everything else is there though. If you have trouble finding cams let me know I might be able to help.

edit:
Seeing I’m a few weeks late now....hope you got it figured out

Yeah, we got it figured out. We did need to buy a left bank intake cam.

Great post and supper helpful. I am very appreciative of the work you put into this thread.

* I have one question of a detail - When you assembled the cams back with the dot 1 and dot 2 positions, I assume you did bring engine to TDC for #1 cylinder. I am in the middle of a reassembly. I have the dots aligned. However, I am noticing that with the dots aligned that I dont have the cams on the timing mark. Do you remember if that matters of you have to advance one cams. I have the right bank on the DOT 1 position and it is on the timing mark. The left bank with DOT 2 is not.

The CAMs on the intake side are different and can not be swapped from left to right. I thought I might have done that. Also I checked the VVT CAM wheels. Also the left and right timing wheels are specific. The left has timing indentions that match up to the timing sensor on the left bank. So I dont see anywhere I could have swapped a part and put it in the wrong place.

I am going to have to go to the TECH support to double check. Just hoping you see this and can advise. Techinfo.toyota.com

One of the sides, maybe the left, the marks don’t exactly touch. They are at maybe 2:30 and 9:30. I’ll look to see if I still have a picture.

The best pictures I have are in that other thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom