2007 Sequoia Camshaft Installation Problems (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the middle of rebuilding a 2UZ-FE VVT-i out of my 2007 Sequoia after I hydrolocked it and snapped a connecting rod. When I tried to put the driver side camshafts in the head they would not sit right but I decided to tighten them anyway because that is what my Haynes manual said. When I started to tighten the caps my intake camshaft snapped in half. While I was waiting on a new driver side intake camshaft I decided I should try to put the driver side camshafts in if they sit correctly in the head. I set them in the head with the timing marks aligned and then rotated up at 10 degrees (Haynes and TIS tell you to do this) and they still do not sit in the head correctly. In the attached pictures you can see the light from my flashlight between the head and the camshaft journals. I have made sure that the engine is in TDC so that there is no chance of piston to valve contact. Is there anything that I am missing or are you supposed to tighten the camshafts while they are sticking out of the head? If anyone who has installed camshafts into a VVT-i 2UZ-FE could shed some light on this problem that would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

In the pics, the point of the cam bolt is to keep that gear mesh matched up. I would start there.
Then i would install one at a time to make sure that they are squared up properly when installing..
The dohc head tolerance is tight. You're fighting spring tension too.
Are you sure that you don't have bent/stuck valves?

In the pics, the point of the cam bolt is to keep that gear mesh matched up. I would start there.
Then i would install one at a time to make sure that they are squared up properly when installing..
The dohc head tolerance is tight. You're fighting spring tension too.
Are you sure that you don't have bent/stuck valves?
No I am not sure if any of my valves are bent. They all looked like they were seating correctly in the head. I just noticed that the exhaust gear is not meshed completely, How do I fix that without having to take that entire gear apart? I do not have the special service tool to take that apart.

We got them in folks. Thanks for the help.

He just very gently tightened the caps and the front gear cover down in 1/4 to 1/2 turn increments. Having already snapped a $300 cam on the other side doing something similar, this was fairly nerve wracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom