2L-TE Oil cooler leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I've got an oil leak coming from my oil cooler on my 2L-TE. I've already ordered the gaskets for the 3 vertical bolts (90430-18001) and two inner oil cooler to housing gaskets (15785-54010) but am having a hard time finding the larger oil cooler to block gasket (15692-54050) without ordering it from Japan or the UAE at a crazy price, does anyone have a lead on this gasket here in North America?

I might not need the larger oil cooler gasket, I need to de-grease and check it again, but if I do I'd like to be ready to order one.

Thanks! I've learned a ton from the 2L-TE crowd here on the forum, and have been enjoying building the truck and engine.

200409_Basillynch_NewCamper_0007.JPG

I just swapped a 2LTE oil cooler onto my 3L and I think I have an extra gasket left over. Let me check tonight and if so I can send it your way.

Funny enough it was the two inner metal gaskets between the cooler and housing that I couldn’t find. Just reused them with a thin coat of silicone.

Hey all,

I've got an oil leak coming from my oil cooler on my 2L-TE. I've already ordered the gaskets for the 3 vertical bolts (90430-18001) and two inner oil cooler to housing gaskets (15785-54010) but am having a hard time finding the larger oil cooler to block gasket (15692-54050) without ordering it from Japan or the UAE at a crazy price, does anyone have a lead on this gasket here in North America?

I might not need the larger oil cooler gasket, I need to de-grease and check it again, but if I do I'd like to be ready to order one.

Thanks! I've learned a ton from the 2L-TE crowd here on the forum, and have been enjoying building the truck and engine.

Nice truck!

Have you identified exactly where the oil leak is coming from? The main large seal is actually mainly for coolant; so if you don't have a coolant leak, it might be fine. The two internal seals to the actual cooler core are fine if you don't have a mix of oil/coolant in the engine. On the outside are a number of things that could be leaking though; and they're much easier to fix - as they don't require taking the oil cooler off. Things that could be leaking are: oil filter, turbo oil feed, vacuum pump oil feed. Also, a valve cover leak, or front cam seal leak can easily drip oil down onto the oil cooler making it look like the oil cooler is the problem. In fact, if I had to put money on it, I'd say the oil source is probably not the oil cooler it's self.

Here is a picture of my oil cooler when I did an engine refresh a few years ago. I never could source the internal cooler core gaskets with the three stud attachment. Newer 2LTE oil coolers have a two stud system, and those are available.

More pics at this link: 2LTE semi-rebuild

full

full

full

Last edited:
Nice truck!

Have you identified exactly where the oil leak is coming from? The main large seal is actually mainly for coolant; so if you don't have a coolant leak, it might be fine. The two internal seals to the actual cooler core are fine if you don't have a mix of oil/coolant in the engine. On the outside are a number of things that could be leaking though; and they're much easier to fix - as they don't require taking the oil cooler off. Things that could be leaking are: oil filter, turbo oil feed, vacuum pump oil feed. Also, a valve cover leak, or front cam seal leak can easily drip oil down onto the oil cooler making it look like the oil cooler is the problem. In fact, if I had to put money on it, I'd say the oil source is probably not the oil cooler it's self.

Here is a picture of my oil cooler when I did an engine refresh a few years ago. I never could source the internal cooler core gaskets with the three stud attachment. Newer 2LTE oil coolers have a two stud system, and those are available.

More pics at this link: 2LTE semi-rebuild

full

full

full

Thanks! It’s taken a lot of work to get it to where it’s at today, but I’m super happy with it!

After de-greasing again and going for a drive I’m pretty sure it’s coming from one of the vertical bolt heads in the bottom of the cooler. I’ve got new gaskets coming this week and I’ll swap them out, any tips? I’ve read those bolts are very tight and are tough to get out.

Also, I really appreciate all the information you’ve shared on the 2L-TE engine, it’s been VERY helpful.

I just swapped a 2LTE oil cooler onto my 3L and I think I have an extra gasket left over. Let me check tonight and if so I can send it your way.

Funny enough it was the two inner metal gaskets between the cooler and housing that I couldn’t find. Just reused them with a thin coat of silicone.

Thank you for the offer! But after Degreasing again I think it’s coming from one of the three vertical bolt heads in the bottom of the cooler. Luckily those gaskets were the only ones I could find!

I’m pretty sure it’s coming from one of the vertical bolt heads in the bottom of the cooler. I’ve got new gaskets coming this week and I’ll swap them out, any tips? I’ve read those bolts are very tight and are tough to get out.

By vertical bolts heads do you mean the bolts holding in the oil pressure relief valves and springs? Can you post a picture? Those “gaskets” are soft metal washers, same thing you’d see on a banjo fitting. You might try just cleaning up those washers and tightening the bolt back up.

By vertical bolts heads do you mean the bolts holding in the oil pressure relief valves and springs? Can you post a picture? Those “gaskets” are soft metal washers, same thing you’d see on a banjo fitting. You might try just cleaning up those washers and tightening the bolt back up.

Yes, I believe we’re talking about the same bolts. Photos are attached below. I have new metal washers coming, not gaskets, hopefully it’s an easy job.

29CC5B5A-9B7B-45FC-AE4C-D5D595B6A74B.jpeg

655C5F62-55DC-40C1-938C-417105E3277B.jpeg

Super easy. There's a spring and relief valve in there that may or may not fall out. You can measure the spring and check spec for what that length should be if you're so inclined.
oil cooler.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom