2L TE Diesel Motor ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2L TE Diesel Motor / Japanese diesel swaps

I originally posted this in the mini truck section...

Does anyone have a source for information ( production dates, spec's, HP size etc.) on the Toyota 2L TE diesel and matching 5 Speed transmission ?

All I know at this point is that they were used in the Japanese Hi-Lux pick up trucks.

What about a source for spare parts?

It would be for a diesel conversion into a landcruiser in the US, there is a source in the US to buy what they call a 1/2 cut. Literally they cut the vehicle in half and ship you the entire nose and drivetrain including all electronics, transmission etc. All of these 1/2 cuts seem to come straight from the Japanese market.

I am unfamilar with the Japanese models so any advice on a diesel model and available engine combo's would be great.

Thanks

Bruin

Last edited:
There's quite a bit of into out there about that engine and it's a good fit for a mini-truck. I'm dealing with a company in Canton, Georgia (Jarco, Inc.) who is in the business of bringing half-cuts into the U.S., and am awaiting the arrival of my 1KZ-TE/slushbox out of a HiLux/Surf.

Depending on the model of Land Cruiser you wished to use, you may very well find the 2L-TE a little underpowered for your tastes.

Last edited:
BRUIN4 said:
I originally posted this in the mini truck section...

Does anyone have a source for information ( production dates, spec's, HP size etc.) on the Toyota 2L TE diesel and matching 5 Speed transmission ?

All I know at this point is that they were used in the Japanese Hi-Lux pick up trucks.

What about a source for spare parts?

It would be for a diesel conversion into a landcruiser in the US, there is a source in the US to buy what they call a 1/2 cut. Literally they cut the vehicle in half and ship you the entire nose and drivetrain including all electronics, transmission etc. All of these 1/2 cuts seem to come straight from the Japanese market.

I am unfamilar with the Japanese models so any advice on a diesel model and available engine combo's would be great.

Thanks

Bruin

Bruin.

The 2L series engine has been used for years in the Toyota Hilux range of trucks, variants are

2L - 2446 cc Normally aspirated
2LT - 2446 Turbo Diesel non EFI
2LTE - 2446 Turbo Diesel EFI
2L2 - 2446 Turbo Diesel

It's a very good motor generally although some 2LT and 2LTE engines had a bit of a problem with cylinder heads cracking - a redisigned head with a thicker area between the waterways and the block seems to have cured it.

2L, 2LT and 2LTE were used in Pickup and also the Japanese 4Runner called the Hilux Surf. Also used in earlier LC2 (70 series) before that was changed to the 3 litre 1KZT after late '93.

You can see the specs for it on offroad.com in the Landcruiser section.

In terms of Power it ranges from not a lot to a bit more than not a lot however it is generally a very strong engine which will last pretty much as long as the 1H engines in the 80 series - if the head doesn't go on you then it can last 300K miles plus. Fuel economy is not great, the 1KZTE engine is far better for economy.

2L series engines are relatively easy to get hold of, it's pretty much as common as the Small Block Chevy engine.

Toyota didn't build all of the engines, some are built by Daihatsu for Toyota.

Plentiful supply of engine spares in the UK if you can't get them anywhere else.

Hope that helps

I was feeling that the motor would be a little underpowered for a 1985 60 series Landcruiser.

I was hoping to find info an other diesels, possibly 6 cylinder turbos and then have JARCO locate me one. I have time on this.

Has anyone done a 2L conversion into a 60 series pig ?

Thanks

Bruin

these were used in Oz a while back, mostly in the 2 Wd Hilux as they were not that popular in the 4Wd because of their lack of power. Were later replaced with a 2.4 then a 3 liter motor the later motors are much better in all ways and are very popular.I think this motor would really suffer in the heavy Landcruiser body.Seriously doubt you will get booked for speeding on the highway best take a cut lunch and water bottle if going far.cheers

BRUIN4 said:
I was feeling that the motor would be a little underpowered for a 1985 60 series Landcruiser.

I was hoping to find info an other diesels, possibly 6 cylinder turbos and then have JARCO locate me one. I have time on this.

Has anyone done a 2L conversion into a 60 series pig ?

Thanks

Bruin

Not a chance that the 2LT would pull a 60 series. Better off getting a 1HZ or a 1HDT or a 3B or anything other than the 2LT. You would probably top out at about 55mph down hill if you were lucky and never get up any other hils. I think the 2L only puts out about 86bhp.

Go for the 1HDT if you can get one (or the 24Valve 1HD-FT if you can get one). Should easily fit inside. I heard of a Land Rover with a 1HD-FT in it and if you can get one in the space normally filled by a four pot you could easily get one in the space normally filled by another 6 pot.

Plus the 1H engine is a peach.

Alternative would be a 2H normally aspirated or a 12HT turbo. Also a great engine.

harveya, just to be clear, what I hear you referring to as the "1H" is more than likely the 1HZ. I point this out because there is an "H" diesel which is the forerunner of the 2H. I have an H diesel in my 45 pickup and would not recommend using it for a swap. In fact, I'm pulling the H and installing the 1KZ-TE that is being supplied to me by Jarco.

And for the record, the 1HZ engine is fabulous.

22Jun2005 (UTC +8)

Totally agree. For the time and money, I'd bypass the 2L-T and go straight for a 1KZ-TE (minimum), or the 1HZ (recommended). The 1KD-FTV (common-rail, turbo-intercooled diesel) engine should be great too.

BRUIN4 said:
I was feeling that the motor would be a little underpowered for a 1985 60 series Landcruiser

Thanks

Bruin

In a hilux,I use to turn the aircon off on big hills for extra power:rolleyes:

drexx, for the record, the 1KZ-TE produces the same horsepower and a good bit more torque than the 1HZ. Now if the goal is to turbocharge the 1HZ, then your comment would be correct.

drexx said:
22Jun2005 (UTC +8)

Totally agree. For the time and money, I'd bypass the 2L-T and go straight for a 1KZ-TE (minimum), or the 1HZ (recommended). The 1KD-FTV (common-rail, turbo-intercooled diesel) engine should be great too.

2 votes for this recomendation .. but though 1KZ-TE is a really good engine have a lots of electronical components ( with out the trans ) that makes some dificult this swap ..

Your goal go about 1HZ , or 1HD-T easy swap engines .. best than FTE or FTV engnes.

Well, when you get a half-cut, there is no trouble with electrical components, wiring, etc. as you get everything you need--including the transmission and every item of the drivetrain back the third member in the rear. From the front, I get the radiator, mounts and everything under the hood.

I've got a mechanical-injected version in my 93 KZJ-70, and that engine is fantastic. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 1HZ sitting around to swap; however, I got my half-cut for less than I expected to pay for just a 1HZ.

Thanks all,

Is the 1 HZ still produced today? What are my chances of finding a decent source in the states?

Dieseldog how is Jarco to deal with and who should I speak with there, I have sent them an e mail but would rather call.

Thanks again

Bruin

Bruin, my dealings with Jarco have been nothing short of painless and pleasant. Call 770-479-4942 and ask to speak with Michael Hooper. I've only dealt with him. When I spoke with him earlier today he mentioned that he is getting ready to head back over to Japan on another shopping trip. When they find particular items to buy, they supervise the cuts themselves--only AFTER having driven the vehicles and gotten a good feel for their condition. They actually videotape the vehicle being run and let you check it out before you buy. Disclaimer: I have no connections with Jarco except as a customer, and I'll be able to say more once I get over to Canton and pick up my half-cut either later this month or early next month.

dieseldog said:
harveya, just to be clear, what I hear you referring to as the "1H" is more than likely the 1HZ. I point this out because there is an "H" diesel which is the forerunner of the 2H. I have an H diesel in my 45 pickup and would not recommend using it for a swap. In fact, I'm pulling the H and installing the 1KZ-TE that is being supplied to me by Jarco.

And for the record, the 1HZ engine is fabulous.

Sorry when I said the 1H I meant any of them in that series - 1HZ (good), 1HDT (better), 1HDFT (Very good), 1HD-FTE (the best).

2H series (2H or 12HT) are also good motors, 1KZTE is alos good but not up to a 1HDT for torque levels in a big motor, great in the 4runner.

Where can I find info and spec's on the 1H series of motors. I have searched for info but I want more.

I should tell you all about the truck, Its a 1985 FJ 60 series. I bought it 4 years ago for the body, its mint and deserves an engine swap. I use it as a work truck, and at times a daily driver -I haven't been off road in years since I sold my other 60. I want a reliable and more economical motor and know that a petrol motor is a waste of time.

I have spent the last 3 months trying to source a US Cummins or possibly a Hino or Isuzu. All good motors, but finding a low mileage 4 cylinder Cummins is next to impossible and the cost is outrageous, add to that what might be a headache with the swap.

Then comes along the 1/2 cut. Makes total sense to me. My problem is deciding on a motor / transmission combo before I have Jarco go search for one.

thanks

Bruin

Well the 1HZ engine off course still continue in the poduction line, and Toyota offet it in TLC Land Cruiser 105 series and 70 series.

In the other had over USA maybe is more easy finding a decent 4BT by cummins, and adapt it with AA adapter to you stock tranny, and entire drive train ..

Is a good conversion, you lost the Toyota soul, but the 4BT is a really good engine with a more HP and Torque than 2H engine .. maybe can comparate with 1HD-T.

Thanks Tapage,

My original plan was to use the 4BT Cummins and mate it to a 5 speed toy transmission.

I am having a difficult time finding a source for the 4BT.

-bruin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom