2H Swap into my 1967 FJ45. Educate me on bell housing and transmission compatibility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Like the title says. I'm a few days away from picking up a 2H engine to swap into my FJ45.

I'm debating transmission options, and a little confused about what I actually need.

I'd like to go 5 speed, and I'm leaning NV4500 rather than H55f partially for cost reasons, partially to keep my J30 Transfer case (using advanced adapters adapter)

I came across this thread: NV4500 Conversion - Full Write-up

That talks mating an nv4500 to an F/2F using a 3 speed bell housing and a GMv8 adapter plate. Pretty straightforward.

My question is, will this setup bolt up to the 2H?

I already have a 3 speed bell housing in my truck currently. So that's something I wouldn't have to source and it seems like this could be a fairly straightforward swap if everything mates together.

Is there anything I'm missing here?

Seems like even with a bunch of stuff from Advanced adapters this still comes in a good $1.5-2k cheaper than sourcing an H55f/split case, and I get to keep my parking brake.

Only bellhousing I’m aware of is a 2h bellhousing with the 4, 5 speed pattern. Early cast iron 3 and 4 spd housings do not bolt up.

No, they have completely different mounting, anything could be made but at what cost! At the end of the day, your way ahead just doing the h55, splitcase route.

No, they have completely different mounting, anything could be made but at what cost! At the end of the day, your way ahead just doing the h55, splitcase route.

I mean even if it costs me $800 to have a custom adapter plate machined this swap will still be at least $1k cheaper than going to and h55/split case, and better ratios...

As nice as it would be to do he h55 I just don't think it makes sense for me.

This is neat, saving a grand and getting an arguably better transmission seems like a no brainer if it all works out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom