NV4500 Conversion - Full Write-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cruisermatts.com
Ahead lies over a year of my research, parts sourcing, and a lot of headache.

This is how to put an NV4500 behind your 2F or 3F/3FE engines. This can also work behind a 2H/12HT with a custom adapter plate. I won't go into depth on different transfer case options right now, this is just how to bolt it to the motor.

This is an alternative to the H55f. It does not offer a factory fit bolt-in like and H55f. You will have to cut a new hole for the shifter 4" farther back from the stock shifter hole.

Here's what it does offer:
-Ability to be purchased used or reman all over the country, with widespread rebuild parts availability and knowledge both OEM and aftermarket
-Taller 5th gear (0.72:1 vs the H55f's 0.85:1)
-Lower first gear (5.61:1 vs the H55f 4.95:1) [The 6.34:1 version WILL NOT WORK for this swap]
-Syncronized reverse
-Ability to bolt up virtually any domestic transfer case or doubler behind it (I put a 203 behind mine with an adapter to an 87 split-case)

Here's what you need:

-Dodge NV4500 transmission from behind a GAS V8, 5.2/5.9L. This is often referred to as a "light-duty" variant. It has the correct input shaft dimensions so that there can be an adapter plate.
Any other transmission will need the input shaft swapped for this one. It can't be swapped into the early GM units with the lowest first gear. And those (92-94) have a different bolt pattern
which won't work with the Advance Adapters plate.

-FJ40 3-speed bellhousing. Explained in the next paragraph

-Advance Adapters Kit #712550. An early FJ40 3-speed bellhousing has the same bolt pattern as a SBC manual transmission. So this plate allows you to bolt the NV4500 to a 3-speed bellhousing (which will bolt to your motor)
712550 : Dodge NV4500 5 speed transmission to a GM V8 adapter plate kit. | Advance Adapters

-Advanced Adpaters Ford 302 NV4500 conversion pilot bearing. #716122. They also sell a bushing that will work if you so desire.
716122 : Pilot Bearing .750 ID X 1.377 OD | Advance Adapters

-Chevy 10.5" clutch disc of your choosing

And that's it!! Flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch fork, slave, all will stay stock Land Cruiser.

I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone is thinking about taking this conversion on.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm new to this sight and am trying to navigate. Had a 1978 fj40 in 1985 , paid 4500.00. Just bought a 1980 for 19000.00. I remember wanting an overdrive or 5 speed and I am going to do the NV4500 for the reasons you gave. Can you give me part # for adapter plate , you referred to 3 speed bell housing and mine has 4 speed is there a difference ? And what year dodge NV4500 is the best to my 2f engine with less hassle. Is there much work bolting up my transfer case to the NV4500 ? Is there a chart that gives the engine to adapter to transmission to transfer case to drive shaft Setup?
Thanks in advance

I'm new to this sight and am trying to navigate. Had a 1978 fj40 in 1985 , paid 4500.00. Just bought a 1980 for 19000.00. I remember wanting an overdrive or 5 speed and I am going to do the NV4500 for the reasons you gave. Can you give me part # for adapter plate , you referred to 3 speed bell housing and mine has 4 speed is there a difference ? And what year dodge NV4500 is the best to my 2f engine with less hassle. Is there much work bolting up my transfer case to the NV4500 ? Is there a chart that gives the engine to adapter to transmission to transfer case to drive shaft Setup?
Thanks in advance

2F might not have enough guts to turn an NV4500 in 5th gear (especially with the 3.70's in your 1980), unless you re-gear to 4:56's or 4.88's, or run stock or 31” tires.

An H55f would really be a lot better for you. It would bolt up to your engine and transfer case.

But to answer your questions,
Advance Adapters makes a kit to adapt any version NV4500 to your transfer case. So whatever version or year NV you use just get the correct kit for your transfer case.
You are going to want a transmission with the "late" (most common) front bolt pattern. What matters about bolting up to the F engines is the input. You need an input from a DODGE GAS V8 engine. You can usually swap this input into other transmissions as long as it doesn't have the really low first gear.

And the 3-speed and 4-speed bellhousings are not the same.

Feel free to PM me if you want to verify that a specific transmission or part will work for you.

Matt

Last edited:
How does it drive especially compared to the stock 4 speed?

I'm confused, this thread was about using a NV4500 behind a " ( 2F or 3f/3fe ). I'm told now my F2 in my 1980 fj40 isn't strong enough to put nv4500. Was the initially printed thread wrong or is there a stronger 2f engine?

Is it that much of a diff. between 5th in nv4500 and H55F ? Don't want to lug engine and didn't want to swap out both front and rear differential ring and pinion gears. Was trying to save $$ with used NV4500 now I'm looking for a used H55F.

I'm confused, this thread was about using a NV4500 behind a " ( 2F or 3f/3fe ). I'm told now my F2 in my 1980 fj40 isn't strong enough to put nv4500. Was the initially printed thread wrong or is there a stronger 2f engine?
Is it that much of a diff. between 5th in nv4500 and H55F ? Don't want to lug engine and didn't want to swap out both front and rear differential ring and pinion gears. Was trying to save $$ with used NV4500 now I'm looking for a used H55F.

This thread is a parts list required to ATTACH an NV4500 to your 2F. Without further mods a stock 2F in any vehicle will probably not be strong enough to really use the NV4500 5th. My 3FE with 4000 miles is barely able to with 4.11's. With the diff ratio you have (3.70) you will probably be lugging the engine in 5th with any size tire larger then stock.

5th gear ratios H55f/NV4500:
H55f: 0.85:1
NV4500: 0.72:1

Hopefully this clarifies things a bit.

Last edited:
So what would be the best way to go using H55F ? Go with smaller diameter tires to make shure that I keep rpm's reasonable? And by the way , can you imagine what I would be going through if there wasn't this thread? I'm almost shure now what I need but there is one more question. The fariey overdrive . Are they ok for fj40 ?

yeah...the OD ratio on the N4500 is setup for either a Gas V8 or diesel. The OD ratio on the H55F is not the same (less comes to mind) I too was wondering that you would need some very deep gears in my view to use the nv4500 behing the i6 engine (2F). I have the H55f behind a GM 5.7 and I have a little bit of the opposite impact....not really enough OD even with 35's and 4.11 R&P.

I think there is no problem at all using H55f behind a 2F... it really does not impact much at all in my view, but allows the 2f a little bit better hwy milage and a smoother RPM range on the hwy. I always thought the OEM 4 speed manual on the FJ60 with 2f was very limiting with regard to road hwy use.

There really is not much of a RPM drop between 4th and 5th gear....at least sitting in my truck.

Still running the 2F/NV4500 set up? If so how has it been?

Still running the 2F/NV4500 set up? If so how has it been?

I ran the 3FE/nv4500 combo from 2016/2018. Then I put a V8 in it and have enjoyed the vastly improved performance ever since

Interesting observations about the shifting of the NV4500. I would've expected an NV4500, with new units still being manufactured and the design improving over the years, would shift quieter and smoother than an H55F overall.
This was an interesting read since years ago I had been planning to go the NV4500 route and then later changed to the H55F (love it love it love it, but need to put in new synchro rings. If money allows, gonna put a lower range gearset in the tcase at the same time and a new rear housing that doesn't have buggered up threads for the fill plug). If down the road I replace the 3FE with something non-Toyota I'll likely put an NV4500 behind that.

Interesting observations about the shifting of the NV4500. I would've expected an NV4500, with new units still being manufactured and the design improving over the years, would shift quieter and smoother than an H55F overall.
This was an interesting read since years ago I had been planning to go the NV4500 route and then later changed to the H55F (love it love it love it, but need to put in new synchro rings. If money allows, gonna put a lower range gearset in the tcase at the same time and a new rear housing that doesn't have buggered up threads for the fill plug). If down the road I replace the 3FE with something non-Toyota I'll likely put an NV4500 behind that.

I’ve since changed my mind on that. I think the square top NV4500 shifts better then a H55f

I’ve since changed my mind on that. I think the square top NV4500 shifts better then a H55f
Since you used a Dodge unit, out of curiosity what oil did you use?

Thanks, I had looked but always found rebuilds. Pretty reasonable too
That site describes them as new but it’s probably worth a phone call to verify.

Those are rebuilds. No one sells a new NV4500 off the shelf.
You could however build one out of all new parts yourself, everything is available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom