2H starter = 2F starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sandcruiser

....back in the saddle again....
Threads
2H starter = 2F starter ??

Can I swap a 2F gear reduction starter into my 2H?

anyone done it?

Last edited:
Not sure but from the looks of my 2H starter is does not look anything like the 2F starter/ I would think it would be a bit heavier than the 2F Never seen a gear reduced 2F at least in the states.

Cheers,

Michael

The 60 series 2F has gear reduction starters I think.

Dave

1st: the starter on my '84 fj60 is definately a gear reducer. No doubt about it.
2nd: the starter on my 2H is definately NOT a GR.

I guess I'll just have to pull them both and see if they are swapable.

Still, if anyone has the info, I'd love to know beforehand as that'll save some time, and I'm short on time this week (but really need to get the job done).

Latin American Spec hj60= 12v so that's what I've got.
I'm going to go pull the gr starter off of the fj and see if it looks like it'll fit the hj.
will report back

I lent my fiche out to check, but the 60 series 2F engines definitely had gear reduction, I have a spare one right here.

No doubt about it-- the GR starter from an '84 USA spec FJ60 is absolutely in no way interchangeable with the GR starter in an '88 Latin Spec HJ60. No question about it. Pulled them both off today and tried it out.
I've gotta say, the mounting on the LatSpec HJ60 was a lot better to deal with- nut on top was 17mm head, bolt on bottom is 17mm head, nut connecting big wire... 17mm.

On the FJ it was an 19mm bolt on bottom (?WTF? Aftermarket?) A 17mm nut on top (but the stud spun out, grrrr) and the big wire was held on by a 14mm nut. Stupid. Especially stupid when you are working under the vehicle and there is nobody nearby to hand you a wrench. I was doing frickin calesthenics.

The HJ starter came out easily with the exception of the little rubber boot on the big wire. Darn thing didn't want to budge! I'm glad that I didn't just cut it off, but I was tempted.... very tempted.

According to the Gregory manual, it appears that the early HJ60 starter *might* be the same as an FJ. But the "late" model starter is MUCH larger (and heavier!!).
starters.jpg

starters2.jpg

Got everything opened up ok, and sure enough, the contacts were worn. Actually, I guess I should say the contact was worn. One of them looked nearly new.
worncontacts.jpg
But I decided to replace both so I dismantled the contacts, then spent the next couple of hours driving around to various garage-type places, hardware store type places, gas station type places (if you had been here would understand....) but none had what I needed. Did finally find some other contacts that were sorta-kinda similar (not that much, really) and decided to give them a whirl... need the 60 running tomorrow and didn't want to fab my own contacts despite having heard it is pretty easy to do. Here's a pic of the other contacts- they're not *that* different:
contacts.jpg

Reinstall went smoothly, and the starter works great! Fires up quicker than before and fires on the first try every time (so far). It always started well before once it turned over. I'd like to think it fires up even better now, but it isn't that much of a difference. Certainly no worse.

All in all- if you can find contacts ahead of time (ie: your parts store has a computer and/or a phone) then the whole job shouldn't take more than two hours. Less if you have your tools organized and a clean workbench to do the work on.

sandcruiser said:
The HJ starter came out easily with the exception of the little rubber boot on the big wire. Darn thing didn't want to budge! I'm glad that I didn't just cut it off, but I was tempted.... very tempted.

I've had that problem before, too and found that use of a heat gun (or hairdryer) will greatly aid in the flexibility of that rubber boot.

Seems like in your part of the world you could just use a fan ;)

Glad you got it done sucessfully...
:beer:

Nice writeup! I've never been into my starter--is the worn contact the one in the middle?
Glad you got it sorted out,
Steve

yes, the worn starter contact is the center one in the pic w/ the blue towel background. I was surprised how worn one contact was when the other was nearly new looking. this was a really easy job, mechanically. maybe a 2 banana, but probably only 1.5.
The worst part is pulling the old starter off- if you pressure wash the area first I'll bet it is a MUCH nicer task. I had all sorta oily gunk all over my torso, face and hair. You should see my shoes....

No doubt about it-- the GR starter from an '84 USA spec FJ60 is absolutely in no way interchangeable with the GR starter in an '88 Latin Spec HJ60. No question about it. Pulled them both off today and tried it out.
I've gotta say, the mounting on the LatSpec HJ60 was a lot better to deal with- nut on top was 17mm head, bolt on bottom is 17mm head, nut connecting big wire... 17mm.

On the FJ it was an 19mm bolt on bottom (?WTF? Aftermarket?) A 17mm nut on top (but the stud spun out, grrrr) and the big wire was held on by a 14mm nut. Stupid. Especially stupid when you are working under the vehicle and there is nobody nearby to hand you a wrench. I was doing frickin calesthenics.

According to the Gregory manual, it appears that the early HJ60 starter *might* be the same as an FJ. But the "late" model starter is MUCH larger (and heavier!!).
starters.jpg

starters2.jpg

Got everything opened up ok, and sure enough, the contacts were worn. Actually, I guess I should say the contact was worn. One of them looked nearly new.
worncontacts.jpg
But I decided to replace both so I dismantled the contacts, then spent the next couple of hours driving around to various garage-type places, hardware store type places, gas station type places (if you had been here would understand....) but none had what I needed. Did finally find some other contacts that were sorta-kinda similar (not that much, really) and decided to give them a whirl... need the 60 running tomorrow and didn't want to fab my own contacts despite having heard it is pretty easy to do. Here's a pic of the other contacts- they're not *that* different:
contacts.jpg

Reinstall went smoothly, and the starter works great! Fires up quicker than before and fires on the first try every time (so far). It always started well before once it turned over. I'd like to think it fires up even better now, but it isn't that much of a difference. Certainly no worse.

All in all- if you can find contacts ahead of time (ie: your parts store has a computer and/or a phone) then the whole job shouldn't take more than two hours. Less if you have your tools organized and a clean workbench to do the work on.
Old post but I’d love to see those photos. Any chance you still have them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom