2H oil pressure problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just about finished transplanting a 2H into an FJ55.. Had it running before christmas without issues - but now after abit of a break - the problems start.

When the engine is started cold - there is no oil pressure - and the EDIC controller switches the engine off after 10 seconds or so.

I can repeat this as many times as I like - and there is no oil pressure..

However - if I unscrew the oil filter a little - and start it - after a second or two oil spirts out over the filter .. And now if I re-start the engine everything will be fine...

Whilst the engine is hot - it can be stopped and started and oil pressure looks perfectly normal. But if I try the next day when the engine is cold... no oil pressure again.

I have searched high/low across the forum - I see that 2H's seem to have high oil pressure problems when the relief valve gets stuck - but I cant find anything that helps me here..

These are the things that we have tried...

a) Replaced Oil Filter (with different brand)
b) Replaced oil relief valve (spring and plunger) [geniune Toyota part]
c) Put a washer (as a spacer) in the oil relief valve spring to make spring stiffer

This made absolutely no difference

Today tried

d) Put 2 bottles of oil flush through and drained oil again
e) Installed genuine Toyota Oil Filter

Next Morning -when cold - started engine and no oil pressure...

Cranked it over one more time - and got oil pressure..

This engine came from a wrecked HJ60 - so I dont know the history behind it other than the front oil seal on the crankshaft was leaking really bad. But never saw this issue on the 3 or 4 occasions that we started it in its original location

Dont think this makes much difference - but was using Shell Rimula 10w-40 diesel oil..

I am 100% sure based on my observations - that there is no electrical problems - and that there really IS oil pressure issues.

I am relatively new to the 2H oiler.. but I believe that the oil pump is a constant displacement oil pump so it should have issues losing its prime.

I also believe that neglected engines can have the splines wear off the gear that drives the oil pump.

But considering once this 2H is started - oil pressure seems to behave itself nicely - I wouldnt think that worn splines or worn oil pump would behave like this..

Intermittent problems like this are always the most frustrating to diagnose...

I really dont like the idea of having to start the engine multiple times before getting pressure or having to loosen oil filters to regain oil pressure

Any advise is much appreciated...

I think that in a 2H you can see the oil pump gear from the oil pan ? if it's true, change your gear. Lost of pressure like you tell me normaly begin afer 4 week without using the truck. You always need to prim your pump.

In any case, your pump is to worn change it.

did you measure the oil press at the factory oil press sender with the engine at normal operative temp .?

There is a O-ring in the base of the oil pump gears .. it can be the problem.

just my .0002 cents ..

hi Tapage.. I dont have an external oil pressure gauge that I can hook up - but the dash gauges seem to show the oil pressure is in the expected levels once it is warm and going... (using the factory oil sender and dash gauge)

This O-ring at the base of the oil pump gears - what does it do?

And confirm that my next step should be to replace the oil pump?

thanks for your input...

hi Tapage.. I dont have an external oil pressure gauge that I can hook up - but the dash gauges seem to show the oil pressure is in the expected levels once it is warm and going... (using the factory oil sender and dash gauge)

This O-ring at the base of the oil pump gears - what does it do?

And confirm that my next step should be to replace the oil pump?

thanks for your input...
This is an old post but l’m having a similar issue with my 2h after it sits for 2 weeks not started. Oil pressure takes a long time to build but if started everyday or so no issues. Oil pressure is all with in factory specs. Did you ever get this issue resolved rossg?

Last edited:
Just about finished transplanting a 2H into an FJ55.. Had it running before christmas without issues - but now after abit of a break - the problems start.

When the engine is started cold - there is no oil pressure - and the EDIC controller switches the engine off after 10 seconds or so.

I can repeat this as many times as I like - and there is no oil pressure..

However - if I unscrew the oil filter a little - and start it - after a second or two oil spirts out over the filter .. And now if I re-start the engine everything will be fine...

Whilst the engine is hot - it can be stopped and started and oil pressure looks perfectly normal. But if I try the next day when the engine is cold... no oil pressure again.

I have searched high/low across the forum - I see that 2H's seem to have high oil pressure problems when the relief valve gets stuck - but I cant find anything that helps me here..

These are the things that we have tried...

a) Replaced Oil Filter (with different brand)
b) Replaced oil relief valve (spring and plunger) [geniune Toyota part]
c) Put a washer (as a spacer) in the oil relief valve spring to make spring stiffer

This made absolutely no difference

Today tried

d) Put 2 bottles of oil flush through and drained oil again
e) Installed genuine Toyota Oil Filter

Next Morning -when cold - started engine and no oil pressure...

Cranked it over one more time - and got oil pressure..

This engine came from a wrecked HJ60 - so I dont know the history behind it other than the front oil seal on the crankshaft was leaking really bad. But never saw this issue on the 3 or 4 occasions that we started it in its original location

Dont think this makes much difference - but was using Shell Rimula 10w-40 diesel oil..

I am 100% sure based on my observations - that there is no electrical problems - and that there really IS oil pressure issues.

I am relatively new to the 2H oiler.. but I believe that the oil pump is a constant displacement oil pump so it should have issues losing its prime.

I also believe that neglected engines can have the splines wear off the gear that drives the oil pump.

But considering once this 2H is started - oil pressure seems to behave itself nicely - I wouldnt think that worn splines or worn oil pump would behave like this..

Intermittent problems like this are always the most frustrating to diagnose...

I really dont like the idea of having to start the engine multiple times before getting pressure or having to loosen oil filters to regain oil pressure

Any advise is much appreciated...
I had that problem with the nlow oil pressure on my 500,000 km hj60. The part that nthe oil relief plunger fits in becomes worn and makes either high or low oil pressure. Terrain tamer from austrailia offer a longer plunger tha t solves the problem because the longer body rides in a chamber that is not worn. If oil pressure is too high after nthat, you just clip the sring. Now I am down to the toyota guage thatnis not very accurate. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom