2h HJ47 not crancking. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I have a big problem with my HJ47 2h engine Frankenstein. And I need you help.
Engine never gave me any problems, although I do not use it often.
Started normal to warm it up, after about 20 min running and it died.! Tried to started again and “nothing” just a big click, like a bad starter solenoid.
Installed new starer, battery fully charged, check all possible ground cables, changed the aftermarket solenoid that previously had….. still nothing!!!! Cannot male it to crank.
Below you will find a small video of the type of sound it makes, along with a few pictures of what I have. Running out of ideas here; EDIC maybe?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

BCDB012A-81FB-4151-89AA-BFE62E0E388F.jpeg

42C97EB6-D20D-44F5-B11A-B35B619696C3.jpeg

4B8993FE-AFEC-400E-A432-DB41586CE8F7.jpeg

E9C57710-8E34-4313-8F02-1C1240AF7E03.jpeg

Maybe fuel edic or electrical ground I am guessing. Can be a problem when not used frequently.

Seeming it started but you could not restart it, makes you think fuel. Any little soft fuel hose leaks? Sedimentor?

Does the starter crank at all? If not, electrical. Could be starter relay, check it and grounds.

Do you store it in garage or outside, lots of rain moisture messes with electrical grounds. Have to trace all connections from battery to starter. Fuses? Fusible link? Eliminate one at a time.

Sometimes have to pull things individually , clean and check then put back on. Chances starter is ok if it recently cranked.
Probably sh#ty connection somewhere with all the rain we have had.

There's a "starter relay" in your passenger footwell.. if the starter motor cranks with a positive lead directly attached to the starter "start" post then I'd look at the Starter Relay next..

Hello, I have a big problem with my HJ47 2h engine Frankenstein. And I need you help.
Engine never gave me any problems, although I do not use it often.
Started normal to warm it up, after about 20 min running and it died.! Tried to started again and “nothing” just a big click, like a bad starter solenoid.
Installed new starer, battery fully charged, check all possible ground cables, changed the aftermarket solenoid that previously had….. still nothing!!!! Cannot male it to crank.
Below you will find a small video of the type of sound it makes, along with a few pictures of what I have. Running out of ideas here; EDIC maybe?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

View attachment 3090676

View attachment 3090677

View attachment 3090678

View attachment 3090679
There's a "starter relay" in your passenger footwell.. if the starter motor cranks with a positive lead directly attached to the starter "start" post then I'd look at the Starter Relay next..
I’been looking for it, the original one that is.
I believe they removed it and installed the one circled in red in the pictured below.
Changed it for a new one, still nothing!
Red and black wire going straight to starter, the smaller gauge black wire goes inside the fire well….. I will trace that one to see where it goes.
Trying to post a small video but the site will not let me, you can see on that one the EDIC arm moves when I open the switch and try to start.
I will remove the starter again and take it to test, supposed to be new.
Thank you guys.

1091EE39-6895-431A-B036-8549C20FC391.jpeg

Maybe fuel edic or electrical ground I am guessing. Can be a problem when not used frequently.

Seeming it started but you could not restart it, makes you think fuel. Any little soft fuel hose leaks? Sedimentor?

Does the starter crank at all? If not, electrical. Could be starter relay, check it and grounds.

Do you store it in garage or outside, lots of rain moisture messes with electrical grounds. Have to trace all connections from battery to starter. Fuses? Fusible link? Eliminate one at a time.

Sometimes have to pull things individually , clean and check then put back on. Chances starter is ok if it recently cranked.
Probably sh#ty connection somewhere with all the rain we have had.
Stored in garage, The starter wants to crank but just a big “Click”. I cannot fine the famous starter relay just an aftermarket solenoid on the firewall with both wires going to the starter.
What throws me off is that it was running and then suddenly died, and from there just the big “Click”, without cranking I cannot tell if it was fuel that made it stop running.
Thanks, I’ll keep trying.

yeah, that is the weird thing, cutting out whilst running, which makes you think edic. But then the starter not kicking over means perhaps the edic is still switched off when trying to start again. Does it start up again after a period of waiting? Bad electrical connections can be erratic, sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

Once on a ford lpg engine I had intermittent cutting out. Took ages to find that when hot, the expanded coolant would drip and land on a solenoid below, cutting out the engine . Just one drop. No leaks of anything anywhere?

Have you had a good look at the earths for the edic? some folks remove it and use a stop cable instead. Your pics look like you keep things pretty clean.

Unusual thing happened for me the other day, I was cleaning the engine bay with crc (bulk 20l cheaper than kero on sale, says doesn't hurt rubber), wd40 equivalent ,and the original ome oil pressure switch starting working again, it never had before in 5 odd years.

The starter solenoid throws me off too, hard to tell what the pvo did. Have to look for everything which leads to your starter. In bay and cab. If that thing is the replacement, you may want to try an ome relay too.

The little big box pic you have is the external reg, nothing to do with starting.

I assume you are getting good glow if you can start in the first place?
Having a cheapy ebay voltmeter in your cig lighter can tell you how much you drop in voltage whilst glowing, voltage goes back up a bit when they are warm. If battery is good you should have enough cold crank.

Is it a solitary click or several clicks? Several clicks can be a bad connection to starter. There is also the solenoid on the starter, which you shall diagnose when you pull it and test. Sometimes the chassis earth to the starter can rattle loose.

Single click could either be relay or edic. Bet it is a loose wire somewhere. Most of the time in the past I have found if it can start but erratic starting, it is a loose wire.
There is also the fusible link on the positive side of your battery too, sometimes they cook or corrode on the hj75 2h anyway.

It never starter back after it died that first time.
Just that weird click sound that you hear in the video.
Thanks for all the help. I’ll keep trying.
once the same happened to me when I had a small hole in the soft fuel line from sedimenter to fuel pump. I had a spare hose, reprimed and it is good since...maybe?

Can you turn the engine over by hand??
Well, now that you mention it, I tried to turn it and I cannot do it, even with a long bar…..Engine has oil, changed the water pump not to long ago.
So looks like the engine is frozen.
Going to have to open it up.
Have a 4bt cummins with all the adapters, seriously thinking on doing the swap.
Might be much cheaper than rebuilt the 2h.
Thoughts?
And thank you for all the pointers.

whilst the 4bt is a good engine, it seems a bit premature to throw out the 2h without further investigation. ?The 2h is a reliable engine. When did you last start it?

whilst the 4bt is a good engine, it seems a bit premature to throw out the 2h without further investigation. ?The 2h is a reliable engine. When did you last start it?
I been trying to get it to crank for the last 2 months, when it was idling and then died.
Have not been able to get it to crank since. Put new starter, check every possible cable, fuel relay, battery, etc. everything seems to get power, relays clicking and such.
Now that Whitey45 mention if I’d try to turn it by hand, I did today and I cannot turn it.
I only put my hands on it a few hours on weekends when I have time to push it out of the storage.

Just seems unusual that it would seize out of the blue without hearing something catastrophic like a piston or conrod breaking or observing over heating cook smoke to me. 2h is a very tough engine. Some reason or major sign for it to seize. They can sit a long time without being used without seizing. Two months would not be long enough for rust to seize it imo, maybe if your oil looked like milk from water.

Maybe, if you really can't get the harmonic pulley to rotate, pull the sump , to at least see if you see something which stops the crankshaft from rotating. Maybe it just needs some full cleaning, attention, time..

Just pulling the engine and swapping the 4bt is not completely straight forward either. Is that a known runner.? Mounts? Gear splines? etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom