2h h55f clutch on it's way out.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just over 320k kms on my 88 hj75 troopy. I think my clutch is on it's way out. Frequent heavy loads, more city driving than what I would like and 2 teenagers learning how to use a clutch is doing the damage. Slipping in acceleration, a little late in clutch release, higher fuel consumption and an annoying smell are the signs I am going by. She is probably about due. Always been conscious of every time you touch the clutch pedal you are wearing the pad..

Is it worth me replacing the rear end oil seal whilst I have the trans out? Guess I shall see when I pull her open. Any tips?
I have pulled apart another troopy but not put it back together yet. I have a machined flywheel, clutch kit, spindle and throwout bearings, trans jack. Need to get the alignment tool.
Researching the job , so far this youtub is most helpful

Your balls deep by the time the flywheel is off.. I would 100% do the rear main at the same time, it would be crushing to have to go back in there anytime soon.

^This. I am in a similar situation, replacing my clutch on an engine with about 220k miles (~350k km) with what is presumably an original rear main seal. Still looks great, but for a $30 part I would much rather replace it now than have to pull everything out again just for that.

Nothing wrong in being balls deep.! So happen to have a spare seal, so that is good. Interesting to see how closely related the prado is to me.

I don’t know what the original Prado rear main seal is like, I never tore mine down that far. On the VW engine I just swap out the complete seal retainer with seal already installed. The whole thing is less than $30.
IMG_5776.jpeg

So far, from what I can see, the 2h rear main seal is pretty straight forward, whilst you are in there. Looks like you have more experience than me, which is easy! Wouldn't want a prado myself..I like old school

As far as I can see whilst digesting all the steps, my sump pan gasket seems totally fine, so prefer not to have to do that too. If I need to later, that can be a separate job.

Do the rear main, spigot bearing and throwout bearing while you're there. Sump gasket is easy without removing the transmission. It's been a while since I worked on a 2H but it may be easier to install the rear main with the sump off and the seal retainer removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom