2H/H55/ splitcase into HJ45- Some install Qs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ceylonfj40nut

Waiting for Barn Time
SILVER Star
Threads
In the process of installing a:

‘84+ (Late model) 2H
H55f (fj60)
H/F J60 split case

into a stock 1978 HJ45

I used hJ47 engine mounts including mount that has the alternator bracket integrated to the mount.

As you face the motor, I installed the longer power steering engine mount on the left side (front most set of holes) and the alternator bracket mount on the right side on the front most set of bolt holes leaving the bottom set of holes unused.

The frame mounts are in the stock location for an HJ45 which is similar to FJ4X frame mounts.

I tried to install 2H engine rubber isolators from a HJ60 but they did not line up with the engine and frame mounts. Bolt holes line up but are offset by an inch. Since I did not have HJ47 engine rubber isolators handy I tried 2f rubber isolators and they worked bolt in. Everything fits. I know the HJ47/HJ60 mounts are beefier than the 2f mounts.

Have any of you run 2f rubber isolators on 2H setup? Any issues? Anyone know if the hJ47 mounts are thicker than the 2 mounts?

With the 2F motor mounts in place, I was able to position the engine in the bay @ 0 degrees front to back. Fire wall tolerance (bellhousing is about 0.5 inches lower than firewall (too close for my liking). I lowered it to get about an inch clearance between firewall and bell housing. That let to a 2 degree tilt front to back (back lower). Is this ok?

IF HJ47 mounts are thicker and bolt in, I would have to tilt the engine angle some more to get firewall clearance.

For those who have HJ47 with stock 2H, can you send me some pics of your mounts and engine tilt angle? Also, I would like to see the fan you are using. Can you take a picture of the front face of the fan connected to the fan clutch? I think I have a 12HT fan that is hitting the radiator because it is not as recessed into the fan clutch as the HJ47 fans should be.

thanks.

Last edited:
Mounts I used are the two lower ones in bright blue.
495E1C6B-004D-487F-92A1-2FB07E97DF04.jpeg
1336283E-0798-4897-9E33-82EF60AE86D9.jpeg

12HT fan I used. Front face edge of fan not flush with clutch face. Fan is hitting bottom of radiator at zero degree engine tilt front to back. Using hj4x radiator.

E0D60A25-6FF3-4783-A32F-475EFA8B888F.jpeg
351C13F1-2CCB-48F1-A425-E23F8B815512.jpeg

A8371F65-C325-45F6-9C2E-D0695694BCA2.jpeg

6E026902-4129-4EC0-8940-88D558E71FE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Hj47 fan that is flush with clutch face. Pic from online. I am hoping this will clear the fan front the radiator.

DCBB9AE3-03C6-4ADC-8071-8EF7637DD566.png

• My HJ47 fan sits flush with the viscous hub
  • There's a bit of room to move the radiator forward if you need (redrill mount holes)
  • Your right hand side mount with a power steering pump mount position is not off an HJ47 (they never shipped with power steering)
  • There were "late HJ60" and "early HJ60" engine mounts, and engine mount arms (arms bolt to the block). Only the early HJ60 arms and mounts work in an HJ47

Thanks for the response. Does your engine tilt front to back at all?

Any chance you can send me some pics of your engine bay showing mounts and fan? Also a pic of your transfer case hang below the chassis? Are you running a H55f/ split-case set up?

Thanks for the response. Does your engine tilt front to back at all?

Any chance you can send me some pics of your engine bay showing mounts and fan? Also a pic of your transfer case hang below the chassis? Are you running a H55f/ split-case set up?

This is all HJ47.. engine mount arms and engine mounts, and fan.

IMG_6587.jpg
IMG_6590.jpg
IMG_6591.jpg

These are great pics. Does your engine tilt front to back?

I am finding that late HJ60 mounts work in a HJ45 with FJ60 rubber isolators which are thinner that the HJ47 isolators. I am not sure they will hold up. I have a Q out there to see if it would hold up.

Thanks for your help. I am at 2 deg tilt toward the firewall.

Thanks for your help. I am at 2 deg tilt toward the firewall.

I'll get a photo and measurements tonight that tries and shows that.. 2 deg sounds about right.

Also a more complete photo of the front left hand side engine mount arm and rubber mount..

1590741729981.png

Thanks for the pics. Really great help!

One last Q. How low does your transfer case sit below the chassis? Your set up is all factory right?

One last Q. How low does your transfer case sit below the chassis? Your set up is all factory right?

Yes.. all factory (I have 3 HJ47s here and an FJ45 with a 2H conversion using all HJ47 parts). My transfer case sits about 65mm below the bottom of the chassis rails.. Ignore that stupid transfer case drain plug.. this is a new vehicle I got a few months back and I havent fixed that yet.. HJ47..

1590795692700.png

That’s what I needed. Great pic! Do you have a 4 or 5spd in the above pic?

That’s what I needed. Great pic! Do you have a 4 or 5spd in the above pic?

All stock HJ47... so 4 speed with handbrake on the output of the transfer case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom