2H and 3B alternator compatibility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I'm looking to swap my toast externally regulated 24v 3B alternator for an internally regulated 2H alternator. I dont see why there would be fitment issues, but has anyone done this? Thanks!

are you willing to re wire it .? clearly you are not gonna need the external regulator anymore .. ( assuming both are 24V ) and sure both will have the vacuum pump attached behind .. ( be sure both are in good working order, good moment to replace the oil o ring and carbon blades .. )

iirc you can add an internal regulator to a non internally regulated alternator fairly easily. If you take the two to A&B starters by the airport they can rebuild it to use an internal regulator. I have had them build/modify a few for me over the years. The ear mounting pattern changed slightly over the years and model to model 24/12, 2h/3b but a lot of parts are interchangeable.

Maybe im just confused by terminology but my 12v 3b's have the voltage regulator mounted on the side into the alternator. I would have called that an internally regulated alternator?
Maybe its a difference between 12v and 24v but I have at least one 24v kicking around and it's looks the same.
IMG_2901.JPG
A

Edit: A little more info aparently some were externally regulated. In here a guy talked about gutting a 2h to swap the internals. 3b 3.4 4 cylinder diesel alternator

If the bearings are good there's not a lot to go wrong with these. voltage regulator, brushes or a diode none are big deal to replace or rebuild.

Last edited:
iirc you can add an internal regulator to a non internally regulated alternator fairly easily. If you take the two to A&B starters by the airport they can rebuild it to use an internal regulator. I have had them build/modify a few for me over the years. The ear mounting pattern changed slightly over the years and model to model 24/12, 2h/3b but a lot of parts are interchangeable.

Awesome! Thats great to know. The shop I work for has an account with Brian Roberts auto electric in Victoria so I'll give them a call to see if they can convert it.

The issue isn't with its rebuild-ability as this one was rebuilt about 10 years ago and never run on the truck.. But it developed issues somehow after sitting for 10 years haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom