2f/sm/dana300 on one ton worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any have ran that? I already got a 2f and one ton axles with 4.56.. worth all that work for just a 2f? may propane it down the road if I do

What is in it now? 1F?

and what all work you talking about? the SM and D300 are still gonna require work. the 2F swap isnt a big deal really. and of course a 3 speed bell housing will mate the 420 or 465 to the F engine.

I want a T case that can do front digs...

Any have ran that? I already got a 2f and one ton axles with 4.56.. worth all that work for just a 2f? may propane it down the road if I do

What size tires you planning? Steven (posey) runs a 2F w/ SM420/ Atlas / tons & 42's & I know that truck scoots down the road pretty good. If you can go for the 32 spline output, that would be my only concern. I have the same setup you going with slated for my latest ongoing build if the economy & my paycheck ever picks up :rolleyes:

It has a 2f in right now, I have a 1f bellhousing laying around.

something between 39-42. Linked front (tired of leafs up front) 55 rears

I have a paned 2F with a 420 to a toybox to a 3 speed case on 40's and it is a great gearing combo. I think they make some 4:1 gears for that D300 (have a jeep buddy with one and he swapped the gears out for lower ones) and he is running a stock YJ engine and transmission with the D300 on 42" TSL and tho he isnt as low geared as me his truck works really well.

I think the 300 is a good transfer case and I have thought time and time again about getting one to bolt to my toybox so I have the ability to do front digs. I just cant justify it as of now cause I already have great gearing and the couple of times I could have used a front dig I am usually able to slide the front over enough to work for me.

I think you will like the 420 especially for a trail rig. and on the street 4th is still 1:1 so its like running with a stock trans, but gearing between 3rd and 4th are noticeably farther apart.

I like the ability you could up grade the 300 or replace with a atlas or a stak when moneys there.

Was thinking of propane or even tbi the 2f. What set up are you running? and how do you like it?

Its all the same stuff from got propane just not from them. So all Impco parts.

I love the pane, Its great for those big climbs where you are verticle trying to crawl something or if you are way over on your side or a combination of the two, the truck never shuts off. And if you stall it out somehow it will fire right back up and run nice and smooth.

I think I need to rebuild my vaporizer but other than that it does great. I run 2 tanks with 1 always being full. and I can get a solid 2 full days of trail riding in on 1 tank. which includes stopping to eat and stuff and not always running the truck when people arent moving and stuff. and when I get on straight aways or sandy turns I like to floor it and try to slide the huge beast. but most stuff I do in single low with the toybox in high range and the 3 speed case in low and 1st or second gear with the SM420.

For a trail tractor it works awesome, completly functional, but it just wasn't much fun. The F is slow and the sm420 is a clunky, chunky, POS. The 2uz/auto combo going in its place will largly increase increase the fun levels.

I got a sm465 trans from a buddy, try matting it with my 3speed housing and it looks like the bell housing needs to bore out.

Going to be picking up a dana 300 in a few weeks.
Will be looking for a adapter soon.

Need to find a sleeve for the throw out bearing to ride on the front input shaft? any suggestion?

I dont remember if the bell housing has to be bord or if you are supposed to machine the input of the SM... I think the transmission side and you use a stock throwout. but that could be all wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom