2f manifold gasket questions (1 Viewer)

New to me fj60- I have found intake manifold has some serious leaks all around the gasket. bolts seem tight. After reading all the threads here and elsewhere on the subject it seems there isn't a lot of agreement on the best solution (double gasket vs single, gasket brand, sealant/no sealant etc. etc.). A couple of questions: I have read thet the remflex gaskets between the E/I are too thick and create alignment issues when trying to mate the manifold to the block, true? Or is the remflex kit good to go? Also, how many gaskets do I need to order to get this job done? From what I've read it seems I need six?? 1-manifold to block, 2-between I/E, 1-carb to manifold, 1-exhaust mani to ehaust pipe, 1- EGR gasket. Is this right? I just want to order everything at once and dig in.

New to me fj60- I have found intake manifold has some serious leaks all around the gasket. bolts seem tight. After reading all the threads here and elsewhere on the subject it seems there isn't a lot of agreement on the best solution (double gasket vs single, gasket brand, sealant/no sealant etc. etc.). A couple of questions: I have read thet the remflex gaskets between the E/I are too thick and create alignment issues when trying to mate the manifold to the block, true? Or is the remflex kit good to go? Also, how many gaskets do I need to order to get this job done? From what I've read it seems I need six?? 1-manifold to block, 2-between I/E, 1-carb to manifold, 1-exhaust mani to ehaust pipe, 1- EGR gasket. Is this right? I just want to order everything at once and dig in.
As far as gaskets needed,

I used the felpro intake manifold. its 20 bucks and comes with both the gaskets for inbetween the manifolds. If yours arent leaking there, I would leave it alone because you are going to strip out the screws in the aluminium and going to have to helicoil the holes or re thread

I have gotten away with reusing the egr gasket with no leaks. I guess it depends on the age and condition. Mine wasnt that old.

The carb will not need a gasket it just bolts tight to the carb base which acts as a gasket.

I would get a new donut gasket for the down pipe too.

I hope this helps. I am no expert so I may get corrected, although I actually took an intake/exhaust manifold set off tonight.

Thanks for the reply. Any way to tell if the gaskets between I/E are leaking or not? Carbon buildup? How has the fel pro held up? Did you use any copper sealant?

The carb will not need a gasket it just bolts tight to the carb base which acts as a gasket.
That is not true.

though that may work, the carb base actually has a gasket on both sides of it.

check the parts diagrams in the service manuals and you'll see

They are cheap - like 2 bucks. might as well put them in there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom