2f cylinders one and two are not helping... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time to wrap this one up. Thanks to everyone for their input and help in troubleshooting all the problems uncovered while trying to determine why only 3 cylinders were firing.

The primary culprit turned out to be the vacuum leak under the carb. I added a gasket and all is good. I'm reading 20.5 inches (steady) at idle (~690 rpm).

I replaced all vacuum tubing and reconnected per Jim's comments. As I mentioned, the desmog was performed by an unknowing mechanic. I also picked up from another thread that the TP needed to be disconnected... which I also took care of.

Also, the dizzy cap was not vented (for lack of a better term) with a connection to the air cleaner. By adding this, I suspect that the corrosion problem that prevented the vac advance from working has now been cured. The other vac port on the cap is connected to the firewall.

Now to cure the cancer problems :)

thanks again.

HI All.Today I found I have the exact same problem as Bama,though cyl 3 is doing some work.Could somebody please explain in simpleton terms what to do first.I recently bought it from a farmer where it was sitting in a paddock for about 6 months.Dragged it home threw some gas at it,reconnected elec fuel pump and soon had it running.The muffler was blown to hell and exhaust manifold gasket too.Today i got it back from the muffler shop,where they machined manifold surfaces,and I found it still runs like crap at low rev.

Will read through this tread again SLOWLY.

Cheers Tez

HI All.Today I found I have the exact same problem as Bama,though cyl 3 is doing some work.Could somebody please explain in simpleton terms what to do first.I recently bought it from a farmer where it was sitting in a paddock for about 6 months.Dragged it home threw some gas at it,reconnected elec fuel pump and soon had it running.The muffler was blown to hell and exhaust manifold gasket too.Today i got it back from the muffler shop,where they machined manifold surfaces,and I found it still runs like crap at low rev.

Will read through this tread again SLOWLY.

Cheers Tez

Tez - Starting all over again with similar symtoms... If you do not have a vacuum gauge, then first thing is to invest $25 USD down at NAPA. On the 2f there is a vac port on the intake manifold just below the carb. Get your readings at idle and review the chart on the Vacuum 101 (visit tech page) looking for a match.

This tool is also useful in setting the timing, adjusting the carb, and I'm sure countless other diagnostics.

The idle solenoid is an easy check... might want to look at that one right after purchasing the gauge :) ...

good luck!

Oh, and we'll need pics:grinpimp:. Everyone will want to see the carb and dizzy... some will want you to get the valve cover off (with pics of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom