2F carburetor secondary linkage question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

acy76

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all--I am rebuilding the carb for my 1979 FJ-40. The secondary throttle shaft and power piston were completely seized and some of the choke and throttle linkages were bent. Someone was obviously in here before and did a number on some of the fasteners but I have managed to get it all back together and working smoothly.

Regarding the secondary, I can move the diaphragm through its full range of motion and the piece it attaches to on the shaft rotates without issue but it never engages with the shaft at all to move the secondary (doubtless this is the reason the secondary became frozen--inactivity).

I can't find any pictures showing how this is supposed to work. (The first picture in this thread shows it but not from the angle I need: 2f Aisin carb secondary question. (pics) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2f-aisin-carb-secondary-question-pics.515166/)

The throttle stop can only be installed one way that makes any sense, and the little tab on the secondary "puller" hits the stop when at rest (which sticks out at about 90 degrees, the rest of this piece is co-planar) but that is the only part in contact so the shaft never rotates.

Is the other tang on the throttle stop piece supposed to bend inward or something so it can make contact when the diaphragm pulls the actuator part? Everything I have seen seems to indicate this tab is meant to be on the "bottom" of the throttle stop, and if I try and assemble it on the top so it can pull on this stop, it doesn't make sense and seems to bind up.

Any advice? How is this thing supposed to go together so the vacuum diaphragm can do its job?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Here are some picture from when I rebuilt mine off of a '79. Let me know if there are other views that might help. Fwiw I believe this carb is from an '82 given the date code of 2G21.

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

SOLVED.

Thanks for the photos. This confirms once again the basic assembly of parts on that shaft was right in my case, which matches the Haynes manual (single) photo as well as others I have seen.

The problem? Someone assembled this with the coiled spring installed incorrectly.

This spring, which attaches to both the free "crank" as well as the attached-to-the-shaft "stopper" piece, was sandwiched in between the parts and clipped to them as it should be but it was just placed there, it was not pre-loaded.

I took it apart and wound the spring a single turn and put it back together. Now when the vacuum-actuated rod pulls the crank, the spring tightens right up and basically becomes a solid sleeve attaching the two parts on either end. The shaft then rotates when the rod is pulled.

I have not seen this mentioned anywhere (although I am sure some manual must say something?), hoping this helps someone in the future. I spent more time than I should have figuring this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom