29th Annual Rubithon 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time to bump this back top the top! Just 3 1/2 months away......
My, that's some snow pack up there. I wonder how much will be left in June?:rofl:

Well anyone that has been following the weather and snow pack here in California has probably seen this coming, but here is the official update. After much discussion with those that live in the Tahoe area, those with a lot more history on the Rubicon in the spring, the Rubicon Trail Foundation and with the heads of other events, I have come to the conclusion we need to change the dates for this year’s Rubithon. The new dates will be July 11th-16th.

I have run this past the TLCA President, and my predecessor, Tony Twiddy, and they are in full agreement. My hope is to make this change with enough notice as to not affect travel plans and vacation selection. I have contacted all of the run leads and all of the runs will remain unchanged with the exception of the new dates.

I’m sure there will be many questions, so let me try to answer some of them before the phone calls start.

1. Why are you doing this?

With the amount of snow in the Tahoe area and the forecasted snow still to come, even the local ski resorts are stating they will be open through July 4th.

This amount of snow can present a safety hazard due to the potential snow drifts and water crossing drop offs on the Tahoma side, and greatly influence whether the trail is even passable.

2. Can’t we just go in through the Loon side and exit the same way?

Yes, there is a possibility we can get in and out via Loon. However there are 2 issues that make me think this is not wise. First, there is the real possibility that the Rubicon will be closed at times by El Dorado County during the run off do to water levels on the trail to prevent soil erosion. Second, I think we would not be being good stewards of the trail to have that many rigs on it while conditions are that wet, even if the trail is not closed.

3. What happened to the idea of just camping at South Fork Campground or Airport Flat and doing day trips?

Same reasons as listed in #2 above.

4. How did you come up with those dates?

I first found out what dates were available for us to be able to use the Springs. This was the only one available that did not interfere with other local events, work projects on the trail and schools being back into session. We have such a large number of our participants with school age children, that it was felt there would be too much of an impact if the kids where back in school. In addition, the other date available is in the middle of fire season. Several of our leads, including the chairman J, are either firefighters or police officers.

5. What if I’ve already registered and I can’t make those dates?

I will fully refund your registration. The only thing that I would not refund is your AirMedCare Network membership and TLCA membership. Those items are still good and the monies have already been sent to them. If this creates a hardship, contact me and we can work something out.

6. What if there is still too much snow or water run of with the new dates?

That issue is still being worked out. We are looking at other SVRA’s where we might be able to do the event on those dates.

7. What should we expect in the Springs?

It will likely be a wet year, I would definitely plan on a lot of bug spray. Also, there was already a large release of water that we believe may have severely flooded the Springs requiring a lot of clean up. Bring a positive attitude if it is not the normally well-kept lawn we enjoy. Also, be prepared for “rustic camping” also known as bring your own bumper dumper or PETT toilet. It is believed many of the restrooms may have become canoes and will need to be brought back into position. BE PREPARED!

8. Will we have company?

Maybe. I have been talking with my counterparts at Jeepers Jamboree. They have the same concerns and may need to do more than their normal 1 work party before their event. If so, they will try to use a small area for camping and will be joining us for dinner on Saturday night. We are all there for the trail and to enjoy the Springs, so I hope all will see them as our fellow wheelers and welcome them.

9. Are there any other special considerations?

Yes. There has already been a lot of road and infrastructure damage related to the rains. Plan extra time to get to your check in location. For example, Hwy 50 is down to 2 lanes at Bridal Veil Falls due to road collapse. I would not be surprised if more issues develop with storms yet to come. You will want to check on the status of road closures before you depart. One good site is www.quickmap.dot.ca.gov

All registration links have been updated to reflect the new dates for Rubithon. If there are any other questions, feel free to email me at chairman@rubithon.com or call me at 530-401-0800.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation,
Eric

Not surprised about the date change, Eric. Many of us knew this announcement must be coming given the record breaking amount of precipitation we'd had in northern CA already this season. Thanks for making this decision early on and getting the word out quickly.

Always a tough decision but kudos Eric for putting the interests of the Trail first, and providing early notification.

I will go one step further to express my support for this decision by purchasing an event T-shirt for anyone who has already registered and cannot accommodate the date change.

Bummer on date change as this will be the first Rubithon in 28 years (did not go to the first one) that I will miss. I have 2 significant obligations during that week in July so I'll see all you fine folks at the 30th.

Cheers, Bruce- Medic Lead

Bummer on date change as this will be the first Rubithon in 28 years (did not go to the first one) that I will miss. I have 2 significant obligations during that week in July so I'll see all you fine folks at the 30th.

Huge Bummer!

So sorry to hear. You will be missed my friend!

Yeah serious huge bummer. Great talking to you in the Rock Garden last year Bruce.

We're officially out (and seriously bummed). The new dates presented a schedule conflict and we've already put in for the scheduled time off in June. We're sticking to our planned dates and going to find adventure in southern UT (got to get those details figured out). I hope we can get a two-week stint off next year and attempt the 30th Rubithon.

We're officially out (and seriously bummed). The new dates presented a schedule conflict and we've already put in for the scheduled time off in June. We're sticking to our planned dates and going to find adventure in southern UT (got to get those details figured out). I hope we can get a two-week stint off next year and attempt the 30th Rubithon.
Have a great trip to UT and hope we get to see ya next year!

Congrats to Andy Hagin, our winner for February’s extra grand prize raffle ticket drawing. His name gets put back in the mix for future drawings as well.

As posted earlier, the new date has been set for July 11-16th. Now get those registrations in!

Eric

Hello everyone. Just a reminder today is the last day to get your registrations in to be included in this months extra grand prize raffle ticket drawing.

Happy wheeling!
Eric

Congrats to Gordon Wood, he's the March winner of an extra grand prize raffle ticket. Get your registrations in and get those rigs ready!

Here is a link to the online registration for all non-committee members: RUBITHON REGISTRATION | TLCA

If you should be a committee member, you should have received an email already. If not contact me at chairman@rubithon.com and I will get it to you!

Happy adventuring!
Eric

Just out of curious how does running the trail work? Do you start on the Tahoe end and then camp near loon. then retrace the trail to exit near Tahoe?

IF and that is a big if i can make it i could not stay the whole time. I would need to head out at the latest early sat. make a Long drive back to north west WY and be ready to work Sun morning.

So i i showed up Wed, ran the trail in one direction. Could leave but roads from Loon lake late Friday or early Sat with out retracing the trail?

Just out of curious how does running the trail work? Do you start on the Tahoe end and then camp near loon. then retrace the trail to exit near Tahoe?

IF and that is a big if i can make it i could not stay the whole time. I would need to head out at the latest early sat. make a Long drive back to north west WY and be ready to work Sun morning.

So i i showed up Wed, ran the trail in one direction. Could leave but roads from Loon lake late Friday or early Sat with out retracing the trail?

If you are planning on going with the Rubithon group, almost everyone starts from the Loon lake and spends a night at Buck then pave their way to the springs the day after. At least that's what we've done on the wagon run.

Most rigs coming from the Tahoe side usually are on their own, and the ones bringing supplies to the event since it's shorter.

Last year we left Saturday morning after breakfast and couldn't stay for the raffle.

It sounds like, if you are not registered for a group run, then you are a "renegade" and can run the trail any way you want. How many times you run the trail in which direction is up to you. If you are in a hurry and your truck is road worthy/legal, you can drop your tow rig at Tahoe and drive pavement to loon lake and do the trail one way to Tahoe.

To answer your questions, yes, both ends of trail have roads , & parking. You could enter either end, camping for the event is mainly at Buck Island & Rubicon Springs. Buck Island being more or less half way & the Springs being closer to Tahoe ( Hwy 89 ). It really depends on if you want to see the whole trail or just get in & out. FWIW during the week the Springs is pretty slow until Thurs & Fri so if you wanted to meet people and see trail and leave early your best bet IMO is to start at loon, go to buck, leave back to loon, however the leave part could be done via loon or tahoe time wise about the same but depends on if you have a trailer & tow rig at trail head you have to get back to. The party is definitely at Buck Wed & Thurs. Hope you can make it. Plenty of people have left early, some for Nascar, some after the raffle Sat night, but getting back to WY Sat night means you are gonna be on a long haul even if you leave Friday morning but it's doable.

Congratulation to Janice Watkins, she won the April drawing for an extra grand prize raffle ticket. There is one more drawing for the month of May and then no more. Please remember to have your shirts ready at the event, registrations must be received by June 7th. After that there is a $25 late fee and your shirts will be mailed to you after the event.

Here is the link for online registration: RUBITHON REGISTRATION | TLCA

Count down is on!
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom