1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

29th Annual Rubithon 2017

Discussion in 'Trails - Events - Expeditions' started by Bad Coco, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Bad Coco

Bad Coco

I would like to take a minute to thank a few people in particular.

First, a huge thank you to Dion Mattei for all he has stepped up to help with at this year’s Rubithon. Not only has he taken care of the Marauder Bar for the last few years, when the past Cook Crew Leads had to stop handling the kitchen due to being out of school and in the work force. Dion stepped up and just asked… “what do you need me to do?” I can’t tell you all how much all of Dion’s and the rest of his PMC guys have done to help take stress off of me as Chairman!

Also, I’d like to thank Toys on the Rocks. They chipped in and purchased a case of Champagne for the RTF wine tasting fund raiser. I’d like to also thank specifically Jerry and Julie Reffner who went out and got more donations and even purchased some “Chocolate Splash” for all to enjoy. The Reffner’s played a huge role in getting our wine tasting off the ground in its first 2 years of the event. Last but certainly not least, I’d like to thank Jerry Schroeder who has been an absolute boss in procuring some great wines and raffle prizes for the event. Jerry S. has now taken over the lead for the wine tasting itself and his passion for the wine is apparent to all!

Also from Toys, I’d like to mention a huge thank you to Brian Kaiser who will be taking the lead of our Camp Crew again this year. We will certainly have our work cut out for us after this brutal winter. I have no doubt Brian will again do an outstanding job getting the Springs in the condition we are accustomed to seeing it!

I'd also like to thank John Evans for his very large donation to help make our kids driven activities even better. Thank you John, I'm glad you too value bringing the kids into our great sport!

Without the efforts of volunteers like these, we would not be able to put on such a great event. One of the great things of being a part of TLCA is the people. When work like this needs to be done, our guys always step up.

Thank you to all of the volunteers that help with the various Committee positions!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    beno likes this.
  2. Bad Coco

Bad Coco

Both Eric Smith and friends went in this weekend from Tahoma and here are their Pre-Run reports:

This first came in from Eric Smith:

We made it in from Tahoma. Cadillac is pretty dry for the most part. There was no water bar needed at the log. I found one bathroom on the way into the springs that’s a bit beat up and there a few in dirty dozen that need work/replacement. There are also a lot of downed trees in dirty dozen. We did a lot of clearing trees on the trail. It is definitely possible to make it through, but I wouldn't recommend it for those not as experienced. There are still plenty of spots with lots of snow and water. It is melting fast though.

Also, we have 4 rigs broken down on the trail including mine. Two blown motors (mine being one of them) and two with front end issues. We are trying to work on getting those out next weekend. . I am probably going to have to do an engine swap in there, I don't think I will be able to get mine towed out. Mine is at the bottom of Cadillac near the water hole on the springs side, there is another one on Cadillac and two more in the snowy parts near miller.

There were a lot of people that went from loon to buck just fine. Buck has so much water and it rises at night. It is best to camp higher up away from the water.

Also, when driving out Tahoma side, when approaching the big water hole that separates Cadillac from the Springs, people need to stay to the left through the trees, if you go straight; you will submerge your truck and in cases like mine, blow your motor.

The other is from Kade Hendrick “Pooz”

We made it in all the way to the Springs from Tahoma side. Looks like others have already gone in and cleared some of the trees. We had to cut it more like for buggies. Our rigs had 37” and 40” tires.

Two biggest issues:

1 – A 5’ bolder at the base of Morris Rock on Cadillac. We were able to crawl over it, but wagons would likely do a lot of body damage to get through.

To put things in perspective, I’m running 37’s and the drop is 2.5 times my tire.

This will need to be moved!

2 – There is a pool on the trail before the Cemetery, the area that is often a mud bug. Well right now it’s about 4’ deep.

There will be several work parties between now and Rubithon, so we should be good to go by then. If you go in early, be prepared, and I’d recommend using a long stick to sound the water before crossing.

Somewhat to my surprise, neither mentioned anything about crossing over Miller. Since they both go through to the Springs, I’m guessing it is ok, but cannot confirm.

Photos can be found on Rubithon's Facebook page. I'm having problems loading the videos.

beno likes this.
  3. Bad Coco

Bad Coco

Happy to be able to say that TLCA is again refocusing on acknowledging the Member of the Year and Business of the Year.

While these are not Rubithon awards, we will be announcing and presenting plaques to not only the Hall of Fame inductees, but also the 2016 Member of the Year and Business of the year, since Rubithon is its hosted event.

We are working on having a tab put on the TLCA webpage that list all past recipients of these awards, but this will not be completed until after Rubithon.

See you in 18 days, and it’s not too late to sign up! Here’s the link: Rubithon Registration | The Official Toyota Land Cruiser Association Annual Event

Eric

chairman@rubithon.com

530-401-0800

4. Bad Coco

Bad Coco

Glad to report that Eric Smith and friends were able to get all 4 of their rigs out this weekend.

Eric reports that snow is melting fast, but still very deep water. Also to be careful, that several snakes were seen.

Pictures can be found on our Rubithon Facebook page: Rubithon