285/75/16 BFG KO2 vs 255/85/16 BFG KM2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, they're on! They are definitely skinny looking but I like the reduced steering effort, and there is a slight gain in acceleration according to the butt dyno.

I'd post pics, but photosucket is dead...

Well, I got crazy today and ordered up a set of the ST Maxx in 255/85-16. I've run them on my diesel in both
295/75-18 and now 305/75-18 and they've been phenomenal. I thought about the 285s again, but the lighter weight, possibility of no rub (285s rub a tiny bit) and a possible decrease in rolling resistance and minuscule increase in mpgs made me go 255. Time will tell if any of the above are actual pluses.

I thought the 285s were supposed to fit without rubbing?

Well, they rubbed on mine with OME suspension and 1.5" spacers with stock wheels. It could be that the spacers moved the wheels out of the "sweet spot"? It was only minor rub on the plastic fender liner, so no big deal.

As a side note, my factory wheels are 8.5", and the Cooper 255s recommended a max of 8.0" wheel. I always thought my wheels were 8.0".

Mastercraft Courser CXT, which is made by Cooper, is also a good option which is available in 285/55/16.

CourserCXT_1.aspx

As a side note, my factory wheels are 8.5", and the Cooper 255s recommended a max of 8.0" wheel. I always thought my wheels were 8.0".

Are they stamped 8.5" or did you measure them? And if you measured them, did you measure from bead-to-bead or the overall width of the wheel? I mention this as wheel widths are measured bead-to-bead and not the overall width, so an 8" wheel will actually measure about 8.5" wide.

I need to figure out some form of image hosting...

The measurement was using proper wheel width measuring callipers. That was outside of mounting surface, not total width. They would probably be 8" between the beads, but I've never seen them measured that way.

Either way, there is still sidewall bulge enough to protect the wheel, but it is noticeably less (1/2") than the 285s.

Well, they're on! They are definitely skinny looking but I like the reduced steering effort, and there is a slight gain in acceleration according to the butt dyno.

I'd post pics, but photosucket is dead...

Use Imgur for free hosting.

I run 255s and have for years. Great size because you can use chains without clearance issues. Chains will get you through snow and mud better than any tire can on its own. Rud chains aren't cheap but worth the money.

Pics:

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

I should add that I have 1.5" spacers front and rear as well. I think the "goofy looking" factor would go up considerably with stock wheels and no spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom