265/255 skinny tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good to know on those tires. I am re-thinking whether to spend upwards of $1400-1500 for new rims just to get the smaller diameter rim in a style I like or stick with the 20s I have, which I like the design, just wish that they were smaller. The BFGs KO2s are some of the ONLY 20" snow rated ATs that I can find! I have spoken with someone else locally who is running them that is very happy, but they literally just put them on when we spoke, so no long term off-road data here.

Good to know on those tires. I am re-thinking whether to spend upwards of $1400-1500 for new rims just to get the smaller diameter rim in a style I like or stick with the 20s I have, which I like the design, just wish that they were smaller. The BFGs KO2s are some of the ONLY 20" snow rated ATs that I can find! I have spoken with someone else locally who is running them that is very happy, but they literally just put them on when we spoke, so no long term off-road data here.

I have a set of 5 excellent 18's I just took off my 200. I have 5 and they are in great shape.
-Was going to put them on Craigslist...

18's would give you a heck of a lot more sidewall than 20's.
Let me know if you are interested. I'm in So. Cal... Don't know about shipping...

Anyway... Just thinking. No biggie. Putting them on Craigslist soon.

Markuson

I have a set of 5 excellent 18's I just took off my 200. I have 5 and they are in great shape.
-Was going to put them on Craigslist...

18's would give you a heck of a lot more sidewall than 20's.
Let me know if you are interested. I'm in So. Cal... Don't know about shipping...

Anyway... Just thinking. No biggie. Putting them on Craigslist soon.

Markuson

PM me. I would be interested in what the total price with shipping to 83709 (Boise, ID) would be.

OK. Devil's advocate mode...ENGAGE! :)

In South America where I was born, it rained 170 inches a year. it was common to see skinnies on Jeeps, because they cut past the rain-soaked top-mud...and dug into the hard clay just beneath...resulting in better traction that would be missed by wides that tended to slid around on the muddy top...

They can be helpful in slushy snow over pavement for the same reason...or mud over bedrock too.

Personally, I'd rather have wide for floating over soft sand or powdery snow or hard-pack...but I don't think skinnies are "bad" so long as they fit these kinds of unique needs. i do think that MOST of us likely benefit from wider though...

My 1.5 cents... ;)

Markuson

In my 25 years living in the northern reaches of the Midwest and New England, I've learned that one does not want to "float" over snow (soft or hard pack) because this is how one looses control and ends up ass over teakettle. You want skinny tires on snow and ice cut through it to the pavement/ice beneath and/or to increase friction on the edges of the tread. Skinny tires also function perfectly well on sand when they are aired down (making the contact patch larger).

Your points on the advantages and disadvantages of skinny tires in shallow vs deep mud are well spoken.

I see a few responses since I posted. I have no issue with going skinnier than 275 but my question is why? 275-70-18 is available nearly everywhere and isn't an oddball (expensive ) size. For aesthetic and cost reasons only, I wouldn't go skinnier than 275. There is merit to the skinnier tire, although it's a big azz truck and I wonder how much difference 10mm makes when cutting through deep mud

I see a few responses since I posted. I have no issue with going skinnier than 275 but my question is why? 275-70-18 is available nearly everywhere and isn't an oddball (expensive ) size. For aesthetic and cost reasons only, I wouldn't go skinnier than 275. There is merit to the skinnier tire, although it's a big azz truck and I wonder how much difference 10mm makes when cutting through deep mud

Ya... When I say skinny tires on Jeeps in South America, I mean VERY skinny. Almost like the proportion of a rear John Deer tractor tire...but in miniature. Think WW2 Jeeps and even heavy trucks.

Look at the tires on these...

Skinnies WORK in the nasty stuff...
SkinniesWork.jpg

Bumping.

Curious what ever came of this?

I was just thinking of going to a 275. Right now my front end is leveled and I want to go as tall as I can fit.

I might actually bump the truck up an inch or two with the upcoming tire purchase. But, if I don’t, curious what I get from 275?

What about gas mileage? Would the skinny offset the increase size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom