25 Year Engineering service life. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the 25 year minimum engineering service life of a Cruiser is thrown around quite a lot on the forum and in reviews and I believe it to be absolutely true, however, has anyone got any actual proof from Toyota that this is a design mandate? Or is it all just hearsay and speculation that they are supposed to last that long.

Would be cool to see a document or statement from Toyota that actaully attests to it is all.

Is a man (who's a representitive of Toyota) speaking not a statement?

No need to be facetious. You said it may have been a drunken hallucination....

Got a link to this guy called Dave saying it?

I was hoping for a chief Japanese Engineer or something.

Give me a year and I'll let you know for sure...

Sometimes those sorts of things may be internal documents but are not shared externally or in any form that would imply a legal obligation. I can just see someone trying to interpret it as some form of guarantee. Or getting into some battle with Toyota about what "service life" means. Would it apply to the Nav system? Or the wireless charging pad on the 2016+ models? But I can definitely see it as internal guidance to the engineers. But I would be surprised if it were in any document, much more a document that was shared externally. And it has certainly never shown up in marketing - probably for similar reasons.

I guess most Toyotas, past and present, are good for 25 years. Corolla, Hilux, Land Cruiser-just take your pick. I have a 29 yr old example and another at 28.

Sometimes those sorts of things may be internal documents but are not shared externally or in any form that would imply a legal obligation. I can just see someone trying to interpret it as some form of guarantee. Or getting into some battle with Toyota about what "service life" means. Would it apply to the Nav system? Or the wireless charging pad on the 2016+ models? But I can definitely see it as internal guidance to the engineers. But I would be surprised if it were in any document, much more a document that was shared externally. And it has certainly never shown up in marketing - probably for similar reasons.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just trying to determine if this is a rumor or not. It would just be nice to have something, even a video statement in an interview from an engineer saying "we try and design them to last 25 years". I'm thinking maybe somebody said sometjing once while drunk and it's been turned into gospel.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just trying to determine if this is a rumor or not. It would just be nice to have something, even a video statement in an interview from an engineer saying "we try and design them to last 25 years". I'm thinking maybe somebody said sometjing once while drunk and it's been turned into gospel.

Every company has design requirements that guide their design decision making process with regards to component selection and structural design. The public will never see these and I wouldn't expect to see Toyota's either. I would bet though the 25 year requirement is all non consumable items that go into the LC. The reality is when properly maintained pretty much any vehicle can last 25 years... the LC200 simply designed to do it in a much more rigorous environment (The FEA on the design calcs are based on offroad, extreme loading with much higher safety factors I am guessing)... but if you're buying a LC to drive on pavement, save yourself 50% and go buy a 4Runner, it'll last 25 years no problem.

FWIW, Click and Clack (The Tappet Brothers) always said any vehicle, with proper maintenance, should last 30 years or 300,000 miles.

Ship of Theseus

Not really Theseus' Paradox. The way the 25 year service life theory is thrown around, it implies that it is without major component failure or an engine tear down necessary. Do we count perishables like bushings and shocks etc? I don't know....

Dave from Toyota made more of a hedged statement last year and said “The 200 was designed to have a normal service life in places were there are no roads.”. He definitely didn’t say anything about a magic number of years, and I think it would be foolish to do so. 25 years isn’t that long when you think about it - does that mean all Land Cruisers made before 1991 are past their usable life? I think what he was trying to say is the Land Cruiser is designed to a higher standard than everything else and is intended to be reliable in harsh environments where there aren’t smooth as glass roads.

Toyota never stated this. It's just hear-say that has been repeated over & over again until it became a meme. Since many LC do survive 25 years without catastrophic failure (blown block), it could be deduced that the vehicles were designed to last that long. But a car is only a sum of its parts. What would constitute "vehicle lasting 25 years?" The head gasket? The radiator? The valves? The power steering pump? The EGR valve? The body paint? The gaskets? The oil seals?

None of those items will last 25 years in most land cruisers, they usually have to be replaced before then. The problem with the "25 year" statement is: where do you draw the line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom