25 Year Engineering service life.

Discussion in '200-Series Cruisers' started by LX470Mack, Mar 12, 2018.

1. LX470Mack

LX470Mack

Well folks, this turned out to be very interesting.

Some say hearsay, others say whispers from Toyota. Nothing concrete though. The rumor persists.

Thank you all for weighing in with your thoughts and comments. Long live our cruisers.

2. Markuson

Markuson SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I’m pretty convinced Toyota hasn’t made such an announcement.

But when you crawl underneath the Cruiser after crawling under just about ANYTHING else’s? You come away convinced this thing is built to endure.
    That’s good enough for me.

LX470Mack likes this.
  3. hickuptruck

hickuptruck

Throw enough service money at any vehicle and it'll last 25 years. This term gets throw around a lot because original owners and succeeding owners plop a premium amount of money for a Land Cruiser/LX so they obv by nature will take care of their things by getting it serviced. Service=a long life. If that same service schedule was applied to say a domestic pickup truck made within the past 10 years, they would last 25 years too.

Overall, as much as I f'in love cruisers, its BS. I've seen 15 year old cruisers/LXs that look like **** even though they were 100% pavement princesses with an average service schedule which means oil changes, and things that were fixed when they started to make noises/didnt feel right with the average driver. I've also seen extremely 100% dealer serviced by the book but were mid-west Cruisers that you could kick a tire and rust would fall off of.

Itsky and ryanCA like this.
  4. LX470Mack

LX470Mack

Yeah, I guess that's the thing. I sold classic and pre-owned Mercs, Lexus and Jags etc for around 5 years and you can see mid 90s examples traded in by old men that are perfect and 3 year old vehicles that are thrashed by a careless soccer mum.

Out here in Oz we still have so many 60 and 80s on the road. Where I live 80s are even more common than 100s. Maintenance is key. Often saw LX470's with 90k kms thrashed and pristine examples at 250k.

The one thing I did learn though is Lexus/Toyota never gave us warranty or pre sale issues followed closely by Mercedes. BMW were utter s***heaps. They all pissed oil or had electrical gremlins or some other malady.

5. linuxgod

linuxgod

Media:
    Albums:
    It's a shame that the US gets the top-of-the-line LC model. I absolutely would have picked up a stripped down model if I could have if for no other reason than reliability is far more important to me than the features. But I understand why Toyota doesn't offer anything but the VX here.

Of course now that I have the features I have to say that the heated steering wheel is my favorite whenever I get into the truck when it's -10F here. And the one item which has given me issues is a mechanical component - the center locking diff which still occasionally flashes when starting cold (even with semi-regular use).

6. T4Runner

T4Runner SILVER Star

I’ve put 41,000 miles since new and the only failure I’ve experienced to date is the fuel door spring. (Of course, it took three tries at the dealer to get the right replacement part...)

7. LX470Mack

LX470Mack

It's funny you say that, my diff flashes occasionally too. The painted plastic wood here ends up looking like s*** because of the Aussie sun. It turns to brown plastic.

8. ranma21

ranma21

You guys at downunder have the luxury of getting different spec LC but we only get 1 version!!

9. LX470Mack

LX470Mack

Yes i'm aware. On the whole though, you guys have it much better.

Much better cost of cars and selection. We get none of your big pickups or Expeditions, Yukons, Suburbans, Navigators etc. Also, cost of servicing etc..

Also the top spec cruiser here costs $135k. Even with the dollar discrepancies. Also your fuel is cheap as s***. Costs me $210 to fill the cruiser.

10. linuxgod

linuxgod

Media:
    Albums:
    I had the same failure. Fortunately the part was $4.15. In theory it should've been covered by the Toyota extended warranty but the dealer tried to claim rust and I preferred to tell him where he could stick his incorrect assessment (since it was a Houston truck which had only been in Chicago 3 weeks) and fix it myself. Grossinger Toyota has lost my business forever.

11. T4Runner

T4Runner SILVER Star

Toyota’s weakest link is definitely the dealerships.

mooneywa and terdrocket like this.
  12. SWUtah

SWUtah

I've had really good service with Lexus dealers. Plus how they provide meals while they get your loaner car ;)

13. linuxgod

linuxgod

Media:
    Albums:
    There's another dealer about 15 min farther away (Bredemann) who has been great to work with. They don't all suck, apparently.

T4Runner and Markuson like this.
  14. SchobTime

SchobTime

my 40 is going on 45 years - original F motor. I will go the record and say the 25 year service life is legit ;)

420E61EE-675C-4EFD-97F8-378F5A6290C3.jpeg

SWUtah, Atwalz, LX470Mack and 4 others like this.
  15. Markuson

Markuson SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe a good question for 80 series owners... How many parts does Toyota (or their utilized suppliers like Denso, etc.) still produce/ship to serve the 80 at this point?

SWUtah likes this.
  16. dnh1

dnh1

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a 1975 FJ40 with original motor. Sold it a couple months ago (we are building a house).

SchobTime likes this.
  17. TonyP

TonyP GOLD Star

My '84 German garbagecan has the original motor too. It's a million mile motor surrounded by a 150k mile body.

ryanCA likes this.
  18. SchobTime

SchobTime

Mine is a 74 (built 11/73) .. I should also mention that is has the original 3 spd transmission as well o_O. I finally broke down earlier this year and upgraded the front drums to disc brakes. If the F does die, I am going 2.8 Cummins with a NV4500 5 spd all the way! :beer:

19. subzali

subzali

The Ultimate 80 Series Parts Discontinued Thread

beno and Markuson like this.
  20. Docboy

Docboy

LX470Mack likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.