24v Window Regulator Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Paco

SILVER Star
Threads
I did some searching and was unable to find very much so starting a post on this.

The regulator motor on the passenger side window went out on my 88 HJ61. I have power to the switch and it seems to be functioning properly. Questions...

1) Are 24v replacement motors available? I was unable to find a source.
2) Could it be rebuilt? Has anybody done this? If so do you know a good place to have it done, preferably on the west coast in Oregon?
3) Can the rear motor be swapped with the front one? My plan is to dig into it tonight so either way I will know the answer later this evening, but hoping to swap it over to make the passenger operable again until fix or replace.

Cheers

Is it the LH or RH side? Its taken from the drivers position looking forward. Search using these numbers on google.
85710AMOTOR ASSY, POWER WINDOW REGULATOR, FRONT RH
85710-90A021$264.70
85710BMOTOR ASSY, POWER WINDOW REGULATOR, REAR RH
85710-90A031$264.70
85720AMOTOR ASSY, POWER WINDOW REGULATOR, FRONT LH
85720-90A021$264.70
85720BMOTOR ASSY, POWER WINDOW REGULATOR, REAR LH
85720-90A031$264.70

Thanks Rosco!

Thanks Kevin - I will keep you posted.

Are LH and RH are interchangeable? My HJ is LHD so I need a RH for the passenger side. Probably should have clarified that...

I ended up ordering one from a Japanese vendor site (first time with something like this) so will see what shows up in 3 weeks.

I ripped into both front and rear doors last night and realized that getting the regulator out is better with another person to hold the window. Also realized that swapping the front to the rear would take more than an evening, if even possible. Will leave in for now and then replace when the new one comes. I did find a couple of local places that said they could rebuild, so will take it into them and then maybe have a spare for the next one that goes out.

Are LH and RH are interchangeable?

I think they will be mirror opposites like a manual crank. They are basically a mini gearbox with an electric motor. Im keen to know if the motor spins the same way. If they didnt, you could probably reverse the polarity. And Im guessing other 24v vehicles in the toyota line up may use the same motor.

Thanks Kevin - I will keep you posted.

Are LH and RH are interchangeable? My HJ is LHD so I need a RH for the passenger side. Probably should have clarified that...

I ended up ordering one from a Japanese vendor site (first time with something like this) so will see what shows up in 3 weeks.

I ripped into both front and rear doors last night and realized that getting the regulator out is better with another person to hold the window. Also realized that swapping the front to the rear would take more than an evening, if even possible. Will leave in for now and then replace when the new one comes. I did find a couple of local places that said they could rebuild, so will take it into them and then maybe have a spare for the next one that goes out.
Mine is the other side. If someone can rebuild it I’d go that route. Pretty sure the rear motors are different/won’t work

So...the Japanese vendor emailed back a few days later saying that the part is unavailable. I did some further searching and could not find it anywhere. At least they gave me a full refund. Looks like I will be taking it to a local motor shop for rebuilding.

Cruiser world is great! Unfortunately I did not see this on their website.

I think they will be mirror opposites like a manual crank. They are basically a mini gearbox with an electric motor. Im keen to know if the motor spins the same way. If they didnt, you could probably reverse the polarity. And Im guessing other 24v vehicles in the toyota line up may use the same motor.

So I pulled the motor out last night to take in for rebuilding and discovered that they are interchangeable. The numbers on my motor are for the LH side. The other clue was the taped connection. The plug on the motor is gone and the pins were held in with electrical tape. I am guessing the PO replaced with a used motor which I am now going to try and rebuild.

Assuming the rebuild is not an issue, the bigger problem is how to put it back together. When removing I unbolted the regulator from the door first which was a mistake. Trying to hold the window and regulator at the same time was a pain. It would have been easier to unbolt from the window first and then remove the regulator. I looked in the FSM and it said to "Unbolt the four bolts holding the regulator and remove." Not very descriptive, especially since I had 6 bolts, plus the 2 holding the channel to the bottom of the window.

Putting back together will take some time to make sure the motor and regulator are in the proper position. I have the window held up with wood wedges so hopefully I can bolt up while it is in place. Any pearls of wisdom from others who have replaced their regulators?

I did a little searching after my last post (instead of work) and found a thread on removing the regulator. Apparently it is supposed to be removed in the down position. With my motor not working that was not possible, but hopefully I can put it back in that way. Just need to figure out how to hold the glass in the correctly aligned down position. I also saw another post on a window that shattered while trying to remove a regulator. Guess I got lucky on that one...

Just need to figure out how to hold the glass in the correctly aligned down position
You could try some small wooden/plastic wedges jammed between the window and the door. I did that when I was fitting the manual crank mechanism.

1560936956524.png

I am using wood wedges now to hold the window up now so will likely use that for positioning as well. I heard from the shop yesterday and it will be 2 or 3 weeks before I get the motor back. The rotor has to be sent out to be had wound. Hopefully this is the only one that goes out...

Electric motors last longer with a good supply of power, which is why the one furthest from the drivers seat goes 1st. Keep the contacts clean and it shouldn't be a problem.

Window update - got the rebuilt motor back and installed. When you can lower the regulator all the way to the bottom it is way easy to install! The shop that rebuilt it said that it was fried! Almost like the switch was held on for a long time. Trying to figure out how that could have happened - maybe PO.

So now it works great with the switch on the door, but when I use the switch on the drivers door it goes almost half speed. Thinking this may have be related to why it burned out. Could this be a bad master switch on the drivers side, or the wiring between? Anybody seen this problem?

Could this be a bad master switch on the drivers side, or the wiring between? Anybody seen this problem?

Most likely. It could be a bad earth or corroded components. Its fairly normal on most cars when they are 20-30 years old.
I bet if you got a multimeter you would be down 1-2 volts when the power is coming via the master switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom