24 Volt Starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi new here in UK

Problem with intermittant starting on 1995 4.2TD.
Batteries and conections OK.
Voltage converter suspected and changed. Fault remains.

When the starter will not operate properly solenoid clicks and converter buzzes.
When the ignition key is switched on a relay can be heard near the right battery/aircleaner.

When the vehicle starts the above relay does not appear to click.

Another and poss linked symptom is that on starting the charge circuit does not start immediately. The guage reads low and after a few minutes a relay can be heard and up goes the charge guage. If the engine is stopped before this it will not start.

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited:
Has any one got any ideas? Do u have the TD in the States or are most Gas??

Petrol/gas here. A few imports in the U.S. Canada has a few diesels. Try the International forum -- they might have more information there.

I currently have much the same symptoms.

My last remedy was a bypass that worked steadily for a few 3 or 4 months but the problem has returned. I'm now looking at my alarm as a possible cause, but no solid clues.

Kalawang

Mine does the same when the starter gets hot. Wont start, but clicks and clicks, then randomly as if its stopping me from getting in a car wreck or something, it goes ahead and cranks over.

I think my main culprit will be wiring. I will be tracing, and if nothing is found/ replacing, all the wires related to starting.

skyshark186 said:
Mine does the same when the starter gets hot. Wont start, but clicks and clicks, then randomly as if its stopping me from getting in a car wreck or something, it goes ahead and cranks over.

I think my main culprit will be wiring. I will be tracing, and if nothing is found/ replacing, all the wires related to starting.

That bit about not starting when hot was the assertion of one of my friends. However I dismissed that as there are times, at first start, that it is reluctant to turn over, and also other times wherein it's been parked a half hour or so and it refuses.

I've checked my wiring and it's passed all tests. Likewise the relays, and there are a surprising number. The headache with electricals come when the problem is intermittent. I would change all the parts if I could find the replacements, or afford the cost. :confused:

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom