235/85/16 Nankang on fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Choosing wheels and tires was a lot more stressful than I thought. Since I'm not really a fan of the 15" stock chromers, I had to make some big decisions. Thanks to mud, I had a lot to go on.

16x7 tacoma steel wheels $221 from Wheels Tires and More.

1.25" spacers $80 (Note: the TRD hub centric spaceres work on the rear but don't fit over the front hubs, have to use none hub centric spacers up front). Torque spacers to 90ftlbs.

235/85/16 Nankang n889 Mudstar tires $500 from simple tire. gonna try these out, I really love the look of them. I will review these in some time.

Mount and balance $80.

Barely clears the TR but does!

20190320_224334.jpg

20190320_224217.jpg

They look good. A bit narrower than I expected, though! I run an all season lanvigator in the same size and I think it’s a really good size for a 60. I’m tempted to go with a 7.50r16 next but I hear mixed information about true sizing.

I second narrow. My wife says "looks like a big beast with chicken legs". I do like the tall skinny look on land rovers and 40's, but the 60 has a modern grunt to it that seems to accept fatter tires. Unfortunately, It burns to drop another $700 on tires...so I'll rock these for a while.

On to the tires themselves. The Nankangs are impressive. I took them on a 250 mile highway trip cruising 70-75 and they worked great. Can't hear them at all, but then again the 60 isn't quiet at 70mph. I'm impressed with how well they balanced out. Even with spacers I felt no noticeable vibration. I gotta say, for the price, it's a fantastic mud tire. I like the old school agresive look w/out the ugly sidewalls of moderns mudders. The ride is just fine, I notice no differnece over my A/T tires on the stock 15's. They are set at 38psi which seems perfect.

I second narrow. My wife says "looks like a big beast with chicken legs". I do like the tall skinny look on land rovers and 40's, but the 60 has a modern grunt to it that seems to accept fatter tires. Unfortunately, It burns to drop another $700 on tires...so I'll rock these for a while.

On to the tires themselves. The Nankangs are impressive. I took them on a 250 mile highway trip cruising 70-75 and they worked great. Can't hear them at all, but then again the 60 isn't quiet at 70mph. I'm impressed with how well they balanced out. Even with spacers I felt no noticeable vibration. I gotta say, for the price, it's a fantastic mud tire. I like the old school agresive look w/out the ugly sidewalls of moderns mudders. The ride is just fine, I notice no differnece over my A/T tires on the stock 15's. They are set at 38psi which seems perfect.
That’s great to hear!
I’ve had them in my shopping cart on flea bay for a while. And I totally get no reason to buy anything else just because they are a little skinny. No doubt that skinny is better than wide in almost every situation anyway

If you wouldn’t mind, could you measure the true height?

Tire looks good, though I'm curious about their sidewall strength.

They are 10 ply E rated w/3 ply sidewall in this size.

Looks good. Could you measure to the top of the tire, and actual tread width and post the numbers? Just trying to get a real read on their size.
Andrew

Sorry have been meaning to do this. Tread width is 7.5", overall width is 9", height is 31.25" on 16x7 rims @ 38psi.

Could you take couple more photos of the rig and the tires? Hows the fuel economy with these tyres compared to stock/something you run previosly? Thinking of putting similiar tyres on my other hj60, currently running 33x12,5 on both cruisers but i'd like to try narrower tyres.

I don't have enough miles too give any fuel economy numbers yet as i have only filled up once. I was running 30x9.5x15 and was getting around 16 on the highway. However, I have added an arb bumper and winch since putting the 235s on and haven't got it running until today (coolant hose replacement). I too like the narrow tires, wife doesn't but it's my cruiser soooo.... 🤗. They have very little road noise considering and seem to be fine at 70mph.

20190504_190529.jpg

20190504_190511.jpg

20190504_190553.jpg

20190504_190520.jpg

Just this week I said I'd never run 235s on my 62. I may have to eat those words.

How do you like them after a few more weeks of driving? Though I understand the grain of sand needed for ARB, et al, any insight to MPG? What tires were you running before?

I've gotten lots of compliments on the tires and i think they look prefect on the 62, very Australian looking. Mpgs seem to be down, but i don't have any numbers to give. The arb with winch adds at least 200lbs. If i could guess I'd say 11-14 highway. I was running 30x9.5x15 A/T tires before and was getting close to 16.

Get them, you won't be disappointed and they look really aggressive.

@ravenplague Really glad you like them! I've got about 1,000 miles on them now and they look new. Not a bad tire and I think they match the 60 perfectly. Looks good with a 2" lift too, I don't think it looks small (some said a 235/85/16 would look too small after a lift). Report back after you get some miles on them!

I like too the "old school aggresive look w/out the ugly sidewalls of moderns mudders"!
Any report after two years of use?

My brother is considering them for his HJ61...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom