22RE Timing Chain Symptoms? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are the symptoms of a timing belt that needs to be be changed on a 22RE? And how hard is it to fix?

I was checking out at a nice looking '90 4x4 at a dealership tonight. It was a 22RE with 129,000 miles on it. When I started it up the ingine ideled smoothly, but there was a distinct and very rapid metal pinging sound comming from the engine. I couldn't pinpoint the source of the sound but it almost sounded like a valve clearance issue. Also when I climbed under the truck there was evidence of small oil leak down the front of the engine. It was dark so it was hard to tell, but the leak appeared to be comming from the bottom of the chain cover.

Thanks,

Curran.

if it's coming out from behind the lower pulley it's your front main seal.
it's a couple bucks anywhere, and easy to do once you pull your radiator and fan (also easy).
if you suspect your timing chain, then just do it.
go to here
http://www.engnbldr.com/ToyotaHotLicks.htm
and look at part number
TKS900SR - Timing Chain set with Driver side steel rail
it's the one i got. many people at pirate will back this guy up.
the only specialty tool you need is a torque wrench. you don't have
to pull the head (i didn't) to do the fix, but you want to seal it up really
well when you replace your timing chain cover.

Thanks, Rusmannx.
Are there any particular noises that a worn timing chain/sprocket would produce? Or do you think that pinging sound that I refered to above is something else completely?

Gracias.
:beer:

pull the valve cover off and take a peek at the timming chain, make sure the plastic guides are still intact on each side of the Cover.

this will take you 10 min to do.

While you have the cover off you may as well adjust your valves. they are famous for getting out of adjustment. and will tick tick tick when out of whack,

Heres Rogers Browns write up for timming chain replacement http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/EngineMods/TimingChain.shtml

Heres a write up on Valve adjustment
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/22rvalves/

Edit: Sorry just noticed you dont actually own the truck yet. But it is an easy fix either way. If you buy the truck you'll want to replace the chain anyway. May guess is the noise is from the valves

Last edited:
when my chain went, the noise could be heard steadily at about 2200rpm. if the chain has worn through the cover, it will almost positively be on the driver's side since that is the guide that breaks first 99% of the time. and ya, you can definitely pull the cover off and shine a flashlight down inside the timing cover to check the guides. it's tough to tell if you don't know what exactly you're looking for (i didn't).

I would replace the head gasket per the factory manual procedure. Many don't but given the lifespan of a headgasket on an alum head, iron block motor that has not seen frequent coolant changes... It's a pain but just think all the other things you could do at the same time...
SS valves, oversize, from EB
New ported, reinforced EB head
hotter cam and fresh rockers
decarbon pistons

In other words, in the name of preventive maintenance you get to spend more money on your toy. It's a win/win. (Actually, you'd be surprised how little all that costs...)

Red_Chili said:
In other words, in the name of preventive maintenance you get to spend more money on your toy. It's a win/win. (Actually, you'd be surprised how little all that costs...)

That's the exact reason I've started this pickup project. The 80 gets to be darn expensive to have too much fun with.

Thanks for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom