2023 Toyota Sequoia - 3rd Generation REVEALED (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, as much as I would love a giant tank, none of my Toyotas have had the option. However, I did experience an emotional roller coaster reading this thread since I have a deposit in on a TRD Pro. I guess I'll just have to bust out the Jerry cans for road trips. Maybe an excuse to invest in rotopax.
I have a Tundra with a 5.7 now. I'm currently mid-trip on my from Utah to Alaska towing my 20 foot travel trailer. The 38 gallon tank is almost a must-have for a trip like this or jerry cans. Especially with a 5.7 getting 8mpg. Ouch. I would love the efficiency of the V35A. But it's great having 300+ miles of range towing.

Most recent I heard was they expect order banks to open in August for the Sequoia with a 3-8 month wait depending on trim/color. Hopefully this is accurate as I don't want to wait until April of next year for this vehicle.

I don't think there's going to be a lot of demand. My bet is you can pick one off the lot by fall. It's just not good enough to be competitive at the price they're setting.

I don't think there's going to be a lot of demand. My bet is you can pick one off the lot by fall. It's just not good enough to be competitive at the price they're setting.

Personally, I view it as very competitive with the Expedition or Tahoe, and very similar pricing, just without the lower entry level prices for a base model. Also, it is the first 2023 vehicle with pricing, I would expect moderate price increases on all 2023 models.

The new Sequoia? I'll have to agree to disagree, it's much better than the trash that GM puts out that 100K+ idiots lap up annually. They will never compete in overall units sold but that's also not their model. I think they will sell three to four times what they have been selling with the second Gen.

I hope they’re readily available on the lot along with plenty of other makes and models.

Personally, I view it as very competitive with the Expedition or Tahoe, and very similar pricing, just without the lower entry level prices for a base model. Also, it is the first 2023 vehicle with pricing, I would expect moderate price increases on all 2023 models.
I personally like a lot of things they did with it, but it's such an odd compromise that I think appeals to very few people. Like a solid axle that's good for off road, but then a hybrid system that's highly compromised for the same user. Just using lithium batteries would have resolved about half of the hybrid issues. Anyway I think the vehicle lacks a cohesive vision and it's expensive enough that it won't sell very well. Especially if build quality is as bad as the new tundra.

Care to elaborate? Just curious. Is this comment based off the waste gate issue?
I've seen videos showing poor workmanship with external body panel alignment.

FWIW I've seen one up close in person and thought they were really nice.

Care to elaborate? Just curious. Is this comment based off the waste gate issue?
I test drove a 22 tundra intending to buy one and decided after the test drive to buy a used prior gen. It had a lot of cosmetic issues. Poor paint quality - not only bad orange peel, but uneven across panels. If it wasn't new I'd have been sure it was a respray. It probably was a respray at the factory. And the panel fit wasn't good around the front clip. But even worse was the inside. The seat covers didn't fit well. There were wrinkles in the leather at the corners where there aren't supposed to be wrinkles. Like the seat cover was too big or the foam underneath was cut too small or ?? Whatever the case it didn't fit correctly.

The cab design and use of space was also a downgrade. They compromised everything for style. The rear window from the inside is like a chopped hot rod. It still rolls down, but why? The rear headrests block nearly the entire window and there's really no reason to open anymore. With the middle headrest up where it would be normally they almost entirely block the rear window.
2022-toyota-tundra-limited-crewmax-169-1648649428.jpg
I just grabbed this image from car and driver and incidentally you can even see the poor fitting seat cover on this one too. It's better than the one I looked at. But it's not good. You'd think the press model would be as good as possible. Softex is pretty elastic. It should fit and conform really well. I loved softex in my 4runner and would take over leather without hesitation BTW. It's held up much better than the leather in our rx350 that we bought the same day.

The visibility all around is poor due to the high belt line and ridiculous hood. Frankly I don't understand how it's possible to have a hood long enough to land an airplane on that also requires a cab off to access the engine. There must be 3 feet of empty space between the engine and the grill. The result is that the truck got longer but the cab is noticeably smaller. Rear seat room in particular was significantly less. The numbers don't tell the whole story on how much smaller it is. You'll have to sit in one to see.

Engine is great. Powerful and plays well with the 10at. I'm sure it'll pull like a champ. Driving comfort was good. I like the new steering lane center assist. Miles better than the last GM version I drove. But it's been a few years and now GM has full hands free. Toyota is actually quite a bit behind for a new model. It's like a 5 year late tech set. But it's a decent upgrade from the older model.

Anyway my opinion on build quality is from driving a new 22 that I decided not to buy because of build quality. It wasn't a terrible truck. But it wasn't good enough for $68k. Not to me.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you think they are overpriced when they similarly priced to their direct competition and even beat out the Tahoe in the higher trims by a few thousand?!

If Toyota goes domestic on marketing where it's $10k off MSRP every other weekend, sure it's competitive on price. If it's more typical for Toyota to keep the actual otd price near MSRP then it's $10k higher than the GM competition. We'll see when the market retuns to normal.

Last edited:
Well that's true, but right now domestics are the ones charging "market adjustments" more regularly than Toyota. Now the TRD Pro models have always been the exception, especially in certain regions of the country. IMHO, the domestics have long had deep discounts because that's reduces them to a more realistic price that better matches their true value. To add to that, the Toyota almost always has a better resale value as well so while you might pay a higher purchase price (in comparison to a deeply discounted domestic product) you will always do much better when it comes time to sell. Value retention is definitely worth a higher entry price, at least it is to me.

I think the strategy for the domestics is targeted at a different kind of buyer. You can just walk into a Toyota dealer and a Chevy dealer and see the customer base is different. The 10% discount is (I think) an intentional strategy to deal with sales tax. The lender usually won't lend over MSRP but the buyers often can't afford the $5-8k in tax on a new truck so in order to finance the sales tax they either bump up MSRP and then discount it back to get to a net OTD less than MSRP. And then you can sell a $70k SUV to someone who can't afford to even pay the sales tax up front. Seems like a pretty fragile market to me.

Luxury brands almost always lease cars for the same reason. Something like 90+%.

I don't think price inflation can last as interest rates climb. The bubble is already busting in housing. So maybe Toyota will have big discounts too? It's kinda hard to back off MSRP unless Toyota offers a non hybrid. It should - the hybrid sucks. Or offer a good hybrid? But that's another issue.

I see this as Land Cruiser 200 USA part 2. Limit the trims and price it high that sales remain low so Toyota corporate can justify discontinuing the model because it doesn't sell very well.

A lot of lenders will lend up to 120-125% of the vehicle value which takes into consideration the TT&L, new vehicles of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom