For Sale 2018 Onyx Blue wTerra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am super new to the LC community and am learning as much as I can before I buy one. I know the BFG KO2s are a popular choice, but can you and LX Luthor tell me why you chose them? For what purpose will you use them - mostly on-road interstate driving, light/moderate/heavy off-roading, overlanding, etc.? Are the KO2s good for all seasons including snow? Got any photos of the tires on your rigs? Any and all information is very much appreciated!
Snow and ice are supposedly the KO2s weak spot. I have had good results with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and I have been hearing good things about the Toyo Open Country AT3 as well. Either of those would be better than the BFGs in winter conditions. They are both 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake rated. The KO2s are not.

Snow and ice are supposedly the KO2s weak spot. I have had good results with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and I have been hearing good things about the Toyo Open Country AT3 as well. Either of those would be better than the BFGs in winter conditions. They are both 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake rated. The KO2s are not.

Most KO2s are actually rated for snow and have the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake (info below from TireRack). I've had them in a few sizes (2 of our vehicles including a 200 run KO2s right now) and all have/had the 3PMSF rating on the sidewall, but there is a type called "DT" for different tread that is not rated. I personally like the KO2 and think they do well in all conditions except ice and very hard packed snow, but only a dedicated snow tire like a Blizzak excels in those conditions IMO.

ko2.JPG

ko2 2.JPG

ko2 3.JPG

Most KO2s are actually rated for snow and have the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake (info below from TireRack). I've had them in a few sizes (2 of our vehicles including a 200 run KO2s right now) and all have/had the 3PMSF rating on the sidewall, but there is a type called "DT" for different tread that is not rated. I personally like the KO2 and think they do well in all conditions except ice and very hard packed snow, but only a dedicated snow tire like a Blizzak excels in those conditions IMO.

View attachment 2568041

View attachment 2568042

View attachment 2568043
That's new in the last 12 months when I bought my Wildpeaks, or maybe Discount Tire had the DTs because the ones I saw did not have it. How do you like them in our CO mountain winters? I drive over Berthoud Pass 30+ times a winter, so snow traction is key for me. Just got my new 200 and haven't decided which tires to put on.

That's new in the last 12 months when I bought my Wildpeaks, or maybe Discount Tire had the DTs because the ones I saw did not have it. How do you like them in our CO mountain winters? I drive over Berthoud Pass 30+ times a winter, so snow traction is key for me. Just got my new 200 and haven't decided which tires to put on.

Sounds like you got bad info from Discount...I put KO2s on our LX570 in November 2017, and they definitely had the 3PMSF then (it was a specific requirement for me at the time). I realize the KO2 is pretty old now, but I still think it's an awesome all around tire even in the CO winters going up and down I-70. Tire preference is similar to ride quality preference though which is to say it's personal. I always put E rated tires and a "stiff" suspension on the 200 for example, and many people like C rated tires and the soft factory ride. If I was using the 200 for frequent ski trips, I would absolutely get a set of Blizzaks and use those for the winter season. We rarely go skiing more than 3x a year these days, so a second set of winter tires doesn't make a lot of sense for us.

Sounds like you got bad info from Discount...I put KO2s on our LX570 in November 2017, and they definitely had the 3PMSF then (it was a specific requirement for me at the time). I realize the KO2 is pretty old now, but I still think it's an awesome all around tire even in the CO winters going up and down I-70. Tire preference is similar to ride quality preference though which is to say it's personal. I always put E rated tires and a "stiff" suspension on the 200 for example, and many people like C rated tires and the soft factory ride. If I was using the 200 for frequent ski trips, I would absolutely get a set of Blizzaks and use those for the winter season. We rarely go skiing more than 3x a year these days, so a second set of winter tires doesn't make a lot of sense for us.
Thanks. I've got a set of Wildpeaks on the 100 and those do great in the snow. Well enough that I've never thought of needing something like Blizzaks for it. Thankfully we don't get much ice around here.

My KO2s on the Cruiser do great in the snow here in Wyoming. Nothing, but dedicated snow tires are going to be good on ice. What makes the biggest difference is the all time 4wd. Even the LX on stock 21 inch wheels and the Dunlops does fine in the snow around town. Depends on how you drive. I've had many different AT tires on many different rigs and I like the KO2s best. Currently running the BIG O tire Bigfoot AT on my work truck and they suck.

My KO2s on the Cruiser do great in the snow here in Wyoming. Nothing, but dedicated snow tires are going to be good on ice. What makes the biggest difference is the all time 4wd. Even the LX on stock 21 inch wheels and the Dunlops does fine in the snow around town. Depends on how you drive. I've had many different AT tires on many different rigs and I like the KO2s best. Currently running the BIG O tire Bigfoot AT on my work truck and they suck.
Awesome, that is helpful information. I recently visited Wyoming for the first time on a road trip and loved it there. In fact, that road trip was part of what led me to LCs and my current goal of purchasing one within the next 12 months or so. Thanks!

I think you will find KO2's are a love them...or hate them proposition, and folks feel strongly on both sides of the aisle (hmmmm, sounds like something else, but I digress).

I am in the hate them camp. Had them on two different rigs in W. Colorado. Much happier with Nitto's or Toyo's

CF17C7EB-F80E-49C9-ADFE-F640A32E5053.jpeg
0A1B6A44-5676-42C6-8186-FA2E6DAF8E18.jpeg

Finally got the tires on (really hard to find KO2s now a days) and this week I’m getting Firestone airbags put into the rear springs with an on bird compressor & the RedArc Brake Controller and we got our Blue Ox weight distributing hitch.

Also, found a nice front badge to cover the oddly placed (Japanese sized) holes for the front license plate.

Airstream is in full on restoration mode (we bought a 2000 Excella with 630 lb. tongue weight.) It’s stripped bear and being rebuilt internally and lifted.

As an aside, my wife ran into two people in the last week who own Land Cruisers and they gawked over the Blue on Brown.

It was a good showing of the Land Cruiser community to someone besides myself.

Wanted to post as a status update to all who were interested when we purchased in late January

Last edited:
My silver one came in about a month ago. I now own a 2021 white with terra (wife), 2021 silver with terra, and the 2004 pewter with grey. Love all 3. If they still made blue, that white one would have been blue with terra.

FF08F34F-4657-409B-87F4-84D223B568B3.jpeg

My silver one came in about a month ago. I now own a 2021 white with terra (wife), 2021 silver with terra, and the 2004 pewter with grey. Love all 3. If they still made blue, that white one would have been blue with terra.

View attachment 2663084

Agreed, we love the blue as well. That 100 looks clean, how many miles? What a lineup!

Agreed, we love the blue as well. That 100 looks clean, how many miles? What a lineup!

we bought it early 2020 with 133k from a friend who’s wife drove it the last 8 years. It is bullet proof, which lead us to buy 2 more before they quit making them. We would have bought used but prices for low mileage 200’s are not much less than the $81k we paid for these 2.

Did this truck have AHC and you deleted it or does the new suspension work with it?
Did this truck have AHC and you deleted it or does the new suspension work with it?
No Land Cruiser in the U.S has AHC, only the LX does. I have a blue Merle. Love Aussies. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom