2018 LC rear E-locker and Crawl control what to expect ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What type of gear oil should I use with the ELocker?​

• Most gear oils are sufficient: a quality, petroleum-mineral based oil is recommended.
  • Synthetic oils and friction modifiers can also be used, but are not necessary.
  • In cold weather conditions, a lower viscosity gear oil (equivalent to API GL-5 75W-90) is recommended.

9771A1A2-FC2B-49FF-87E4-405046BFCFFD.png

Put in the rear elocker when doing 4.88s. Use it infrequently except to horse around for fun. Little downside except $$ if you’re already in the diff for other updates.
Engages very quickly as pictured earlier in thread, though it is a different brand.

Hey @mcgaskins, I pulled up this thread recalling the discussion on using lockers and CC to refresh my memory and I reread one of your posts saying the 2016 MTS is better than prior years. Is the difference just in the software or are there other things involved? If it’s just the software, could you “transplant” or somehow upgrade the per 2016 MTS to an older LC? I’ve heard of people adding MTS/crawl to an older gx460. There is a mud thread somewhere on this and I think a local guy in KC has done it on his GX.

Hey @mcgaskins, I pulled up this thread recalling the discussion on using lockers and CC to refresh my memory and I reread one of your posts saying the 2016 MTS is better than prior years. Is the difference just in the software or are there other things involved? If it’s just the software, could you “transplant” or somehow upgrade the per 2016 MTS to an older LC? I’ve heard of people adding MTS/crawl to an older gx460. There is a mud thread somewhere on this and I think a local guy in KC has done it on his GX.

This the thread you are looking for: [Guide] Retrofitting Multi-Terrain/Turn-Assist/5-Speed Crawl - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/guide-retrofitting-multi-terrain-turn-assist-5-speed-crawl.1245282/

I'm starting to look into retro-fitting the 2016+ system to my 2013.

MTS is going to be less noisy and more intuitive on the fly of course…but I seriously doubt it will outperform an engaged crawl control…

after all, MTS is reactive and crawl control is proactive. crawl control is constantly pulsating brakes as it slowly crawls but will also aggressively brake a slipping wheel…MTS applies brakes only when it slips.

crawl control is MTS plus

Last edited:
So, dumb question, but if Crawl and MTS are so good, then when not skip the locker and supplement them with something like a Truetrac or Torsen LSD? Wouldn't the two compound each other? Your truck uses its brakes to control the traction and then the Truetrac/Torsen LSD multiplies the torque transfer across the axle?

That way you get the ability to maneuver well without giving up the 4 wheel traction.

Nevermind the fact that a Torsen/Truetrac is always on so it helps immensly in snowy conditions and the like. I ran Truetracs front and rear in my Liberty diesel and it was an awesome setup, but that thing didnt have a traction control system like the Toyotas .

So, dumb question, but if Crawl and MTS are so good, then when not skip the locker and supplement them with something like a Truetrac or Torsen LSD? Wouldn't the two compound each other? Your truck uses its brakes to control the traction and then the Truetrac/Torsen LSD multiplies the torque transfer across the axle?

That way you get the ability to maneuver well without giving up the 4 wheel traction.

Nevermind the fact that a Torsen/Truetrac is always on so it helps immensly in snowy conditions and the like. I ran Truetracs front and rear in my Liberty diesel and it was an awesome setup, but that thing didnt have a traction control system like the Toyotas .
I don’t think there is a trutrac/torsion option for the 200 front or rear…your options, I believe, are Harrop e locker OR arb air locker.

I don’t think there is a trutrac/torsion option for the 200 front or rear…your options, I believe, are Harrop e locker OR arb air locker.
That would be an issue if they were not available :rofl:

that stinks though. I bet it would work extremely well. When it is in Full-time mode with the torsen center diff and torsens in both axles, it would be pretty damn good.

Edit, here is an option for the rear:

That’s interesting. I don’t know how I never came across rhat.

is there an option for the front too?

Torsen LSD's are pretty incredible on the street, but they need torque to 'work against.' Audi went through all that and ended up with lockers on the 4k. Then they developed the split technology because you didn't need switches, and the race continues to this day. The BMW x, which I had for several years, claimed that it had both the problems fixed and all of the benefits. But I could not get it to ever work in conditions that the LX just romps through in open center, high. To do a diff change the costs are basically the same LSD or locker, just pick a locker. My entirely biased opinion.

To do a diff change the costs are basically the same LSD or locker, just pick a locker. My entirely biased opinion.
I have to agree. The full time 4WD system in the LC/LX does a good job in most conditions. VSC does a good job helping in rainy or snowy conditions in which a LS diff might save your bacon. If you need serious traction though you need lockers... I don't want to be off-camber or climbing an obstacle when a wheel spins and I slide until the LS grabs traction.

Wish my son had taken a photo but when we did Fins N Things in Moab there was one steep climb at ~45 degrees in which I used my center and rear locker and the truck pretty much just climbed right up. I would not have wanted my tires slipping on the way up in order for the LSD to engage.

I'm actually in the process of getting my gears and locker install scheduled. I've decided to only go with a rear locker specifically because of how well ATRAC/MTS and CC work, particularly in conjunction with a rear locker. I figure I can let the rear locker do its job and then let the software and ABS handle slip in the front, without the potential for stress on the front diff and CVs that a front locker can introduce. For the life of me I can't think of an obstacle I have encountered or skipped where not having a front locker would have made the difference and I don't run muddy bog holes where being triple locked is essential.

I'm actually in the process of getting my gears and locker install scheduled. I've decided to only go with a rear locker specifically because of how well ATRAC/MTS and CC work, particularly in conjunction with a rear locker. I figure I can let the rear locker do its job and then let the software and ABS handle slip in the front, without the potential for stress on the front diff and CVs that a front locker can introduce. For the life of me I can't think of an obstacle I have encountered or skipped where not having a front locker would have made the difference and I don't run muddy bog holes where being triple locked is essential.
I think mud or maybe soft sand might be it. And I've seen videos of CRAWL getting a cruiser unstuck from sand that I wouldn't have believed, so that really just leaves mud. And frankly if you're in mud or similar terrain that requires a front locker, I think you'd still be better off putting your $ into serious M/T tires and recovery gear first.

I don't regret doing the front locker, but after wheeling this year in Ouray and Moab I do regret not putting that same $ into a 50W ham setup and some other goodies instead which would've been more useful. I think you're making the right call.

Good video.
Here’s another. 3 minutes in or so is when the vehicle almost flips.

First thought looking at it from the outside... slowly rotate front tires to straighten out and ease down. It's not actually that off-camber, but the hole in the back he dug makes it steep upwards.

That's a lot of wheel spin up front. MTS disabled? Or does the Prado not have MTS?

My question with these videos is, if you lock center and rear, do you need the front locked to get out or will MTS suffice? I definitely am a rear locker fan now, but not convinced a front locker is necessary with MTS. I mean, I dropped the coin and installed one...

Not sure if posted already in this thread, but LC300 lockers are not compatible with any traction control. So if you activate ANY off the lockers on Lc300, all traction control systems turn off. So you should lock all axles or none at all.

just interesting that Toyota went this route to turn off all electronics when you activate locker. I wonder why? For safety reasons? To prevent powertrain issue?

Not sure if posted already in this thread, but LC300 lockers are not compatible with any traction control. So if you activate ANY off the lockers on Lc300, all traction control systems turn off. So you should lock all axles or none at all.

just interesting that Toyota went this route to turn off all electronics when you activate locker. I wonder why? For safety reasons? To prevent powertrain issue?

good question…some people might want to just lock the rear and allow the front to spin how it will (plus traction control).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom