2018 LC rear E-locker and Crawl control what to expect ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I completely understand how CC works no doubt, my question here is how does it work when you have a rear locker turned on.

As for steering, steering is not going to be hugely affected by a " rear locker " I have no interest at this time for a front locker as I do not rock crawl and if did, would be minimal at best.

CC does not work in 4HI either but having a locker does with in just HI

There are many other uses for lockers that do not involved approach and departure angles.

I do have a ARB compressor on board but still choose E-locker as my preference

The point of this thread was specifically directed as to how CC and a locker work together and what to expect.
Expect to not overspin either rear tire with your locker engaged with crawl control. your crawl control will not be need to be ready to brake the rear wheels.

expect to overspin your rear tires with your locker engaged should you manually apply more throttle than the terrain allows for traction when not using crawl control.

rear locker will affect steering when engaged. It will tend to push you straight slightly even if you turn the front wheels.

If I locked my 200 I would use the locker or I would use CC I don't think I would try to use both at same time. CC on LC was designed with open diffs not locked. I would error on side of computer is expecting open design not a locked one. As CC can be on/off in 4LO I would run with it off If I chose to lock up. My 2 cents and it probably not really worth that.

If I locked my 200 I would use the locker or I would use CC I don't think I would try to use both at same time. CC on LC was designed with open diffs not locked. I would error on side of computer is expecting open design not a locked one. As CC can be on/off in 4LO I would run with it off If I chose to lock up. My 2 cents and it probably not really worth that.
I think you have great thoughts on this as to the ECU thinking something thats not happening.

I just went out in the snow a played with this in the Taco. You can certainly lock the rear and run CC. Essentially I think this is running CC only on the front as there is no difference in side to side wheel spin on the rear so CC doesn’t do anything on the rear.

I purposely got my self stuck climbing a mild slope in an open field with about 5” snow in 2WD using just MTS. It did fine until I took momentum out of the equation by slowing way down while climbing out of a ditch onto a road. I switched to 4H while stopped with front almost on the road and rear in the ditch. It locked in but notta. 4L. Notta. CC. Notta. Rear locker. Notta. I expected all of that but was still a little disappointed none of those things got me out. Just to slippery and steep. All I had to do to get out was back up 5’ and use 4H without stopping. All this proves is that all the gizmos can’t fix bad driving decisions like trying to rock crawl on a snowy slope. Sometimes you need activate the “momentum system” by pressing the peddle next to the brake...
I appreciate you tinkering with this with your Taco, my thinking process on that is that I believe your TACO came with a rear locker so somethings telling me the ECU is understanding it. In my situation , my LC did not come with a rear locker and I wonder how the ECU will cope with that. as said above someone mentioned the ecu monitors the wheel slippage.

For those that fret over E-locker engagements. E-locker engagement on my 200:

I had an Eaton in a Jeep TJ and it had a much longer lock/unlock cycle than what was shown above.

I had an Eaton in a Jeep TJ and it had a much longer lock/unlock cycle than what was shown above.
Thats a Harrop E-locker in my 200. Ive never had any issues with engagement/disengagement and I wheel some fairly technical stuff.

Harrop and Eaton are a collaborative unit.

Harrop and Eaton are a collaborative unit.
Yes, and I wanted to clarify that I have a Harrop branded unit. Thanks.

Thats a Harrop E-locker in my 200. Ive never had any issues with engagement/disengagement and I wheel some fairly technical stuff.
Have you operated your rear locker while in crawl control and how does it react with CC ??????? Finally a member with first hand experience, can you share some do's and don'ts with me ??

Last edited:
Have you operated your rear locker while in crawl control ??????? finally a member with first hand experience, can you share some do's and don'ts with me ??
Sure. Theres no issue running CC with lockers. Even running with center, rear, and front locked. At that point its just basically a low speed cruiser control. I use my lockers more than CC but there are some situations CC works better than lockers. Sand and slick off-camber scenarios come to mind.

Sure. Theres no issue running CC with lockers. Even running with center, rear, and front locked. At that point its just basically a low speed cruiser control. I use my lockers more than CC but there are some situations CC works better than lockers. Sand and slick off-camber scenarios come to mind.
Very very good, thats what I have been wanting to hear.

In your opinion, do you feel a rear locker is a good option ??

In your opinion, do you feel a rear locker is a good option ??
it is for me. I use mine a lot. But I also run some gnarly trails. I do incur body damage and mechanical damage from time to time. If wheeling less aggressive trails it may not be necessary. I would definitely wheel the 200 for a while before committing to a locker, unless regearing, then its a no brainer.

it is for me. I use mine a lot. But I also run some gnarly trails. I do incur body damage and mechanical damage from time to time. If wheeling less aggressive trails it may not be necessary. I would definitely wheel the 200 for a while before committing to a locker, unless regearing, then its a no brainer.
That is actually why I'm going to be triple-locked shortly. I'm doing a re-gear to 4.88s, and so I'm paying for the cost of the lockers but the labor is "free", so to speak. (And I suppose if I wanted lockers I could similarly justify a re-gear).

How have your Harrop's been? Any reliability issues? Any dos/don'ts or words of wisdom when running triple-locked. I prefer not breaking mechanical bits whenever possible, particularly on a trail, if I can avoid it ;)

That is actually why I'm going to be triple-locked shortly. I'm doing a re-gear to 4.88s, and so I'm paying for the cost of the lockers but the labor is "free", so to speak. (And I suppose if I wanted lockers I could similarly justify a re-gear).

How have your Harrop's been? Any reliability issues? Any dos/don'ts or words of wisdom when running triple-locked. I prefer not breaking mechanical bits whenever possible, particularly on a trail, if I can avoid it ;)
I’ve had absolutely zero issues with the Harrops. I’ve ran them in both my 200 and 100 so I’ve had got some good experience with them. I highly recommend the Harrop/Eaton.
As far as words of wisdom I don’t really have any, they just work.. The mechanical damage I incur hasn’t really got anything to do with lockers except maybe the fact that they can get me into some pretty gnarly stuff. If you drive the truck and actually use the capability of the lockers you probably will have body damage/mechanical damage sometimes. Just really no way around it.

I've been tossing around these thoughts also, and wondering if the seemingly stutter step on/off nature of Crawl/ATRAC/MTS is actually a benefit and harvesting additional traction? It's going to be situationally and terrain dependent, but there's certain surfaces where peak traction is in the area where there's minimal slip. Once slip sets in, which traditional lockers and matched wheels speeds may force, traction on some surfaces can actually go down. A locker still has benefits to the types of surfaces that behave differently, as well as in higher speed situations like 4Hi in sand where it can be a benefit.

1614019661757.png

I don't have a 16+, but here's a recent video of a climb where I have my rear elocker in. You can distinctly see ATRAC working the front axle in stutter step fashion, while the locked rear keeps the tire in continuous motion. Not saying that the e-locker was a must as it wasn't, but I did take advantage of it here for smoother progression on a loose surface. Also, the electronic traction aids use brakes, it has limited time before it'll ask to cool down. The e-locker removes this dependency at least for the rear. It's another tool in the ol tool chest.

Last edited:
I’ve had absolutely zero issues with the Harrops. I’ve ran them in both my 200 and 100 so I’ve had got some good experience with them. I highly recommend the Harrop/Eaton.
As far as words of wisdom I don’t really have any, they just work.. The mechanical damage I incur hasn’t really got anything to do with lockers except maybe the fact that they can get me into some pretty gnarly stuff. If you drive the truck and actually use the capability of the lockers you probably will have body damage/mechanical damage sometimes. Just really no way around it.
greetings, thanks for the great information and video to showcase the harrop unit. Does it require a different weight gear oil than stock? If so, what do you use? Thanks!

greetings, thanks for the great information and video to showcase the harrop unit. Does it require a different weight gear oil than stock? If so, what do you use? Thanks!
I am not positive but I believe 75/90 is what we use but on my install quote from East coast gear I think I saw that they were replacing it with 85 / 140 ?

Last edited:
You can definitely use stock weight oil. I chose to use to use synthetic 75-140 on my last change due to the fact that I tow a good bit plus wheel my rig very hard in high ambient temperatures. Plus I weigh over 8k lbs. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom