2017 LC rear shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While rotating the tires on the wife's 78K mile LC the other day I noticed a couple of things:
1) the rear rotors have some tiny little surface cracks eminating from the permiter and pads are almost done. Ok, I can fix this.
2) the rear shocks appear to be standard run-of-the-mill types, only longer. I ask because when the vehicle is loaded up for vaca's there is quite a bit of wallowing going on at speed as if the shocks have no damping left in them, so I like to replace them. Or is there another issue beyond the shocks?
TIA

The OEM rear shocks are “standard run-of-the-mill types”. They do their basic job ok and would normally last through 78k miles. However, if you are experiencing wallowing and don’t seem to have enough ride dampening anymore when loaded, that’s the first thing I’d suggest replacing. I’m considering replacing rear shocks at 60K mikes for the same reason on my ‘17.

How loaded for vaca are we talking? Big trailer? Or just stuff in the back/on the roof?

Im talking about just stuff in the back, 3rd row seats stowed, loaded floor to ceiling. When on the interstate at 70-75mph and crossing over an overpass bridge, if the transition from road surface to bridge surface and back to road surface is not perfect it will induce a fairly disconcerting wallow that lasts two or three cycles.

If there is any curvature in this section it upsets the chassis even more. Very uncharachteristic for such a vehicle, IMO

Last edited:
The OEM rear shocks are “standard run-of-the-mill types”. They do their basic job ok and would normally last through 78k miles. However, if you are experiencing wallowing and don’t seem to have enough ride dampening anymore when loaded, that’s the first thing I’d suggest replacing. I’m considering replacing rear shocks at 60K mikes for the same reason on my ‘17.

Ok cool. Im going to replace them and brakes at same time.

Ok cool. Im going to replace them and brakes at same time.
Post back on the change in driving dynamics. I need a little push to get out my 22mm box ratchet. ;)

What all parts will be needed to change the OEM shocks? Just so I know to budget.

A 50mm fan clutch spanner and a flexible end 22mm ratcheting wrench are very, very helpful for changing rear shocks.

A 50mm fan clutch spanner and a flexible end 22mm ratcheting wrench are very, very helpful for changing rear shocks.
Is it the 22 or the 19? I can't ever remember. One is OEM and one is the Kings. :)

Is it the 22 or the 19? I can't ever remember. One is OEM and one is the Kings. :)
22mm for OEM, 19 aka 3/4” for the kings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom