2017 initial impressions - driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I thought would post my initial impressions of driving new to me ‘17 LC200 and see what were your impressions, as well as what is ‘normal’ from a driving standpoint. Just some background, the rig is CPO with 41k miles, new brakes and tires. The following is not that I had not felt during the test drive but thought over a relative small period of time my driving style would normalize and adjust to something as required for a heavy truck. I used to drive 2010 Acura MDX (prior to that 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee) and liked nimble driving which had a quick break response. I am now adjusted to the aspect of driving a rig that could sometimes lumber, but having little tough time aligning with breaking. It is not very responsive. Is that normal? It is like you need to dig into the brake pedal to find the right spot that would gradually slow the vehicle instead of unwanted hard breaking with jerks, but haven’t been able to adjust so that I can do more of short distance gradual stop...it is now either a slow long stop or hard stop.

Last edited:
It takes some time to get used to the LC200 after driving other SUVs. The braking you describe sounds about right for Land Cruisers. If you suspect something strange, one approach is to test drive a brand new Land Cruiser and see if there is a difference.

You mentioned new brakes. The pads and rotors need some time to dance together well. My ‘17 has excellent linear OEM brakes but they did not start that way.

I had the same experience when I first got a 2017 LC. Actually I also had trouble with the gas pedal. It seemed to be from the same school - grandma or Joe racer.

My wife's Avalon doesn't have the same brake feel as the LC. And if I've been driving her car a bunch, then we hop in the LC, she frequently complains about husband induced whiplash.

Look into “bedding in” your brakes. Might help a lot with that initial bite. Btw if you do this, our trucks are heavy and take a very long time to shed the heat in the system before you can park it. At this point I take mine on a 30-minute highway loop with a rolling u-turn in the place I have to turn around and head home to make sure they aren’t too hot. When I only spent 15 minutes driving, they were still too hot and I had to redo it.

Also try to figure out what pads they put on it. If not OEM or high quality aftermarket you might be much happier with something.. well... better.

I have a new 2020. When I first got in mine, the brakes felt the same way to me. Almost an all or nothing experience when pressing the peddle. Now that I'm 10K miles in, though, I don't have that experience anymore; the brakes feel smooth. But I'm honestly not sure when the brakes have adapted, or whether my brain has adapted.

Wow...break bedding. Didn’t know there was a way to accelerate the break-in process. Thanks

Wow...break bedding. Didn’t know there was a way to accelerate the break-in process. Thanks
Due to the curb weight and expected use you won’t need to be as aggressive as you would with a sports car, but yes it can help a lot. And any time!

That sounds about right. The LC is big and heavy stock and it takes time getting used to it. It took my wife about 3 weeks to get used to it. She would hit the gas way too hard or not enough and hit the brakes way too hard or not enough. She almost rolled over her aunts tesla from behind at a stop light the first time she drove it. I can't blame her. She has been driving tiny sports cars her whole life prior. They handle a lot different than 95% of SUV's made today. As mentioned above bedding in the fresh pads should help you get to "normal" a bit faster but it will never have the same brake response as the lighter acura or jeep. It's apples and oranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom