2016+ Steering Wheel Leather Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmc

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.expeditionamericas.com
Anyone else with a 2016+ have a steering wheel that looks like this? Leather is starting to peel off. Started happening last fall but is getting worse. In a 200 series FB group, that is primarily Aussies, it is a common issue and many of them are getting their wheels replaced in and out of warranty. I doubt with our low US volume we'll ever get enough to create a large enough case with Toyota USA but I'm going to see if I can get a response from them. Then probably go through my favorite local service writer. Unfortunately I'm well out of warranty mileage.

20210709_101721.jpg

Anyone else with a 2016+ have a steering wheel that looks like this? Leather is starting to peel off. Started happening last fall but is getting worse. In a 200 series FB group, that is primarily Aussies, it is a common issue and many of them are getting their wheels replaced in and out of warranty. I doubt with our low US volume we'll ever get enough to create a large enough case with Toyota USA but I'm going to see if I can get a response from them. Then probably go through my favorite local service writer. Unfortunately I'm well out of warranty mileage.

View attachment 2729277
Defenetly looks way worse than my 2008. It’s not the same material than before.

I hope toyota takes care of this...it really shouldn’t look like that on a 2018.

If you are out of luck and don’t get a new steereing wheel... it’s actually really cheap to get it rewrapped if you take it to someone that does this things. I did it on a different car.

Defenetly looks way worse than my 2008. It’s not the same material than before.

I hope toyota takes care of this...it really shouldn’t look like that on a 2018.

If you are out of luck and don’t get a new steereing wheel... it’s actually really cheap to get it rewrapped if you take it to someone that does this things. I did it on a different car.
Agreed. If they don't take care of it I'd take it to a local upholstery shop and get it re-wrapped.

Have you had issues like this with other leather covered steering wheels? I have several friends that have this same issue with every car they drive regularly. The oils in their skin affect the tanned leather, causing this issue.

The wear seems beyond just the leather. I can see it even on buttons. I had 2016 LC for four years before selling and it was pristine. This is just an assumption but if you are using lotions or alcohol to disinfect your hands and not letting it dry on your hands, it will destroy the steering wheel. As well if ionizer was used previously to remove smells and was left too long, it may have caused issue as well. I hope this helps.

The wear seems beyond just the leather. I can see it even on buttons. I had 2016 LC for four years before selling and it was pristine. This is just an assumption but if you are using lotions or alcohol to disinfect your hands and not letting it dry on your hands, it will destroy the steering wheel. As well if ionizer was used previously to remove smells and was left too long, it may have caused issue as well. I hope this helps.
Button wear seams normal to me. I do have 144k miles on my truck. The leather coming apart does not seem like usual wear. I don't use lotion, even my sunscreen is spray on. It could have been hand sanitizer that I used early last year but stopped that about a year ago. The frequency of it happening in other regions leads me to believe it's not just me however.

Dave, it’s definitely not just you but unfortunately I can’t provide much more insight than that. As a recreational 200 series shopper, I can confirm I’ve seen the same issue on 10s of steering wheels on MY16+ trucks. I’ve seen issues on trucks as new as MY18 and with sub 60k miles. Given the cost of a new wheel from Toyota, I think mid $800s from a discounted site, you’re likely correct to out source a solution from an upholstery shop.

Reactions: dmc
What’s causing the wear of the faux wood? looks almost scraped off near upper junction of the leather and wood. Jewelry , rings etc? I’ve yet to see any wear like this in the 200s I’ve come across in Colorado

Yeah that’s a lot more button wear than i have 440k mile LC100. I’m guessing skin oils. It happens.

Couple screen caps of two trucks on the market. I quickly found 3 others with with similar issues but the pictures were not high resolution enough to clearly demonstrate the flaws. It’s not terribly difficult to find on trucks with over 80k miles. It is is typically worse on the left hand side of the wheel; I would assume because folks frequently touch that side with more abrasive force as they either enter or exit.

3E6805A1-1F8D-46DB-BA2B-FB4893246176.jpeg

3187E75B-D6B4-4003-956E-E1E24D24BDEE.jpeg

Reactions: dmc
Couple screen caps of two trucks on the market. I quickly found 3 others with with similar issues but the pictures were not high resolution enough to clearly demonstrate the flaws. It’s not terribly difficult to find on trucks with over 80k miles. It is is typically worse on the left hand side of the wheel; I would assume because folks frequently touch that side with more abrasive force as they either enter or exit.

View attachment 2729782

View attachment 2729783
Thanks for sharing these. Those are much worse than mine. My 100 was 11 years old when I sold it and the wheel looked perfect. Hard to believe these are breaking down so quickly.

I have a 2016 and my wheel is starting to have those same issues. Like it is 10 years old!

The leather is peeling off like that in spots.

I am not sure how to fix it other than replace the wheel, which I'm sure will not be a cheep job.

None of my other cars have had this issue, just this LC200.

This will hurt some purists but the fortunate thing about owning a global car like a LC200 is that there are lots of companies that make aftermarket ones that are similar and will be produced for ages to come. My friend got a similar one for his 2000 LX470 and it looks great and brand new, although its slightly different than the one he replaced the leather isn't in shambles.

Here is an example of one currently on eBay for 420 dollars. They are relatively easy to replace. Make sure you unplug the battery when working around the airbag and loosen but do not remove the center nut while you are tugging the wheel loose in order to keep your teeth intact.

For Toyota Land Cruiser J200 2015-on Dark Brown Wood Leather Steering Wheel | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/173912387422?fits=Year%3A2016%7CModel%3ALand+Cruiser&hash=item287dfc6f5e:g:-jkAAOSwL6Fc55-T

1626224179352.png

I forgot this was already mentioned elsewhere, Loncky makes a 16+ kit.

My ‘11 has this and appears to be holding up well so far. Just takes a couple hours to patiently sew it up.

I forgot this was already mentioned elsewhere, Loncky makes a 16+ kit.

My ‘11 has this and appears to be holding up well so far. Just takes a couple hours to patiently sew it up.

Thank you sir. I swear I searched. I hope to have Toyota replace it like they are in Australia but if not the Lonky is a good option. I had a Wheelskins wrap on my 80 and loved it. I'd be fine going that route again if it comes to it. My 80 was 250k miles and 12 years old when the wheel needed a wrap. Just expect more from the 200.

Steering Wheel Leather.jpg

My 2017 is having the exact same issues. Looks like crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom