2013 Land Cruiser on 20" Platinum Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I based the load index / speed rating on the OEM fitments for a 2013 LX 570 from Tire Rack. I looked at a few other sites and they list the same tires.

There is a pdf of specs available here but it does not provide detailed specs.

Edit: Found the spec in the owners manual available on the Lexus Owners site for a 2013 LX 570. The link to the section of the pdf is Here, scroll to page 10 or 28 (of the pdf ... or page 887 per the page numbers in the pdf) and the spec is "P285/50R20 111V".

For a 2013 LX 570, USA spec, that is an approved tire. I do not know if it is approved for any other spec of 200 series.

That's good detective work, elkaholic!

Since the GVWR is the same for the LX570 and the LC200, it is a mystery to me why the tire recommendations are different for the two :confused:

If we could get a pic of the door jamb label that shows the GAWR numbers for the LX570 that should be definitive.

For the LC200, the GVWR is 7,385 pounds (same as the LX570) but the GAWR numbers are 3,595 pounds front and 4,300 pounds rear for a total of 7,895 pounds.

Maybe the LX570 has lower GAWR numbers? :meh:

:cheers:

P.S. I would not trust Tirerack's recommendations as definitive. They certainly get the sizes right, but often the Load Indexes are wrong. For example, when I had my 2005 VW Touareg V8 I'd type in the make, model and year and get this result: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2005&autoModel=Touareg+V8&autoModClar=Standard+Model&width=255%2F&ratio=55&diameter=18&sortCode=54250&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=T&minLoadRating=S&tab=All The sizes are all obvously correct, but VW specs a tire with an "XL" Load Range. Not all the tires listed by Tirerack meet that part of the spec. :whoops:

gaijin - The link you posted does not have an "Original Equipment" tab. If you do a search on 2013 Lexus LX 570 like Here there is an "Original Equipment" tab. Clicking on that lists the OE tires. I have found when they have this tab, it is pretty accurate.

Agreed that a GAWR tag would be nice to see, but then again, we are "Monda Morning engineering" the specs.

but not :beer: then :steer: :hillbilly:

I had the same wheels since 2010..

here is mine at newport beach with the stock dunlops 275/55/20

now I have Miche LTX-MS2 tires 275/60/20.. fits perfect! and no ride issues at tall. Quiet and yet I have plent of meat for off road duty.

Nice wheel and tire! May i know if you can post tyour cruiser with the 275-60-20 tires? I am also considering the size but just want to make sure how it looks...:)

Any follow-up on this? Is this truly a safety issue? I'd like to look into something like this when we replace the tires in a few thousand miles.

Forget what the rest say, Im a moderator on Club Lexus and if the "trend" or the "mood" of the masses don't match what you like, you might get flamed. I for one say the truck looks great.

I understand...I am concerned about the safety concern that was expressed by running the truck on a different size tire than the OEM rated/recommended size. It's my wife's...she is not going off road. I just want to put a 20" wheel on it if I can...without jeopardizing my family's safety.

It is dangerous. I'll explain again in a different way to make the point clearer.

Tire Load Limit/Pressure tables are published by the Tire and Rim Association, Inc.: http://www.us-tra.org/

Basically, the Tire and Rim Association provides the necessary information to determine which tires fit which applications.

In the case of the LC200, an SUV, there are a couple of guidelines which apply when choosing a tire size that can be used safely on the vehicle:

1. Half of the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) cannot exceed 94% of the Load Limit for the tire at the cold pressure used.

2. When using P-Metric tires on an SUV/Light Truck, the Load Limit must be increased by 10%.

Here's the door sticker for a typical LC200:

LC200DoorSticker_25MAY13_zps8fa9ec4a.jpg

Since recommended Cold Tire Pressures are the same for Front and Rear, we must choose the higher GAWR which, in this case is 4,300 pounds.

Half of that GAWR is 2,150 pounds. Since the tire in question is a P-Metric tire, this must be increased by 10% which equals 2,365 pounds.

2,365 pounds can not be more than 94% of the Load Limit of the tire. Therefore, the MINIMUM tire Load Limit which can be used safely on the LC200 is approximately 2,516 pounds.

The Load Limit of the OEM 285/60-18 tires at the factory recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure of 33psi is 2,512 pounds.

The OEM tires with a Load Index of 114 meet the safety requirements spelled out by the TRA.

There is no amount of air you can put in the 275/55/R20 Michelin LTX M/S2's with a Load Index of 111 which will support the required 2,516 pounds. The MAXIMUM Load Limit for those tires is only 2,403 pounds at 44psi - 113 pounds/tire too low!

If rvaupel23 is making a common mistake and running his 20" Michelins at the same tire pressure as the OEM tires, then the Load Limit is further reduced to approximately 2,340 pounds - 176 pounds/tire too low.

It is not safe. Period. Full stop.

Not only does it endanger the safety of the owner of the vehicle, it endangers others on the road as well.

Further, it opens the owner up to serious liability issues should there be an accident because the owner chose to use a tire which does not meet the minimum performance characteristics (i.e. Load Limit) specified for the vehicle.

Do all the research you want, but please, know what the required performance parameters are - don't simply assume that because you are unaware of them they do not matter.

I replaced the tires on my LX570 with MicHelin Latitude 285/50/20 112V rated. The factory puts on 111V rated. The 112V rated are almost 80 lb per tire
Assuming you mean 275/55R20 ...

Those tires are Load Index 111 tires and do not have enough load carrying capacity to be used on the Land Cruiser!!!

The OEM 285/60R18 tires for the Land Cruiser have a Load Index of 114.

At the factory recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure of 33psi F/R the OEM tires have a Load Limit of 2,512 pounds.

The MAXIMUM Load Limit for the 275/55R20 Michelin LTX M/S2 tires is only 2,403 pounds. NOT STRONG ENOUGH FOR USE ON YOUR LAND CRUISER!!

This is a potentially dangerous situation!

I would strongly suggest you change to a tire like the LT285/55R20 Michelin LTX A/T2 which has a Load Index of 122 and will work very well with the Land Cruiser: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...LTXAT2V2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Nowhere in any Toyota documentation will you find a recommendation to use any tire with a Load Index of 111 like the tires currently on your truck.

If you are in an accident, I strongly suspect the insurance companies involved would not look favorably on the fact that you have a tire that is not rated for your vehicle.

THIS IS SERIOUS!!!

ETA: @rvaupel23 - I have PM'd you in hope you read this message.

ETA: @rvaupel23 - I have e-mailed you in hope you read this message.

My Lexus weighes more then a LC but the factory puts 285/50/20 tires rated at 111V around 2140 LB's per tire. So are you saying that Lexus IS putting unsafe tires on from the factory? When I repaced the factory tires I put 112V rated tires that are rated at 2450 LB's, same size.

Yea...this is getting really confusing. We may find a way to make a Lexus wheel work (have to modify the emblem/center cap) or wait and see if Toyota offers a 20" wheel option one day on the LC.

My Lexus weighes more then a LC but the factory puts 285/50/20 tires rated at 111V around 2140 LB's per tire. So are you saying that Lexus IS putting unsafe tires on from the factory? When I repaced the factory tires I put 112V rated tires that are rated at 2450 LB's, same size.

If you're using factory equivalent spec tires or better, then you are obviously OK.

HTH

If you're using factory equivalent spec tires or better, then you are obviously OK.

HTH

The MicHelin 285/50/20 Latitudes in the 112 V are Green X and weigh 3 lbs less then the stock ones in the 111 V rating and they were $30 per tire cheaper? Plus carry more weight, seemed like a win/win ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom