2010 Radio Knobs/Buttons not working? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In a last ditch effort to fix the radio in my LC I am reaching out here to see if anyone else has had this problem.
The manual controls for my radio have stopped working. The steering wheel controls are fine and the touch screen works too. The radio works and there are no issues with audio. Its just the knobs and buttons.
The one thing the Power/Volume will do is cause the radio to switch to the Blutooth player input setting. Just once. Nothing else.

Any ideas?

So all the hard controls on the head unit are not working? Can't eject CDs? Can't switch tracks? Or is it just the power/volume that has failed? Is it a LX or TLC?

So all the hard controls on the head unit are not working? Can't eject CDs? Can't switch tracks? Or is it just the power/volume that has failed? Is it a LX or TLC?
It’s a TLC. None of the manual buttons work except for the power button switching the player to Bluetooth. That only works once then you have to use the touch screen to get back to another mode.
We were able to get the cds out, so the elect button did work. The discs also played just fine, but you could only use the screen controls or the steering wheel.

Ok. I have an LX so limited info, but the TLC uses MOST to communicate between the different things. It's kind of like a dedicated token LAN. I would guess that since the HU provided functions are working, but not via HU buttons, that the issue is with the HU itself, in the portion that receives the hard button commands.

The first easy troubleshooting step is to unplug the battery negative terminal for 10+ minutes. There is also a 'hidden' menu you can access via the touchscreen which allows for resyncing the devices on MOST (I think). Try the battery first, and if that fails we can go look up the instructions for the menu.

Alright, disconnected battery for an hour. No change to the problem.
None of the buttons have any effect when pressed (including the power button).
When you rotate the Power/Volume button it causes the radio to switch to Bluetooth.
When you rotate the Tune button it causes it to try to go to CD mode, but there are no discs loaded.
Touch screen works.
Steering Wheel controls work.

On to the hidden menus. Be careful!

I went through the menus. Was able to confirm that the most of the buttons were not registering as you can see in the video I linked below.
VIDEO
I also took apart the control panel to see if I could find a misaligned button part or damaged ribbon cable. Everything looks fine and nothing obvious stands out.
Looks like to fix this I am going to consider replacing the whole infotainment system with one of those android/tesla jobs. Phoenix?
Unless...someone has an suggestions?

Update:
I have taken the radio completely apart after discovering that something internally was running constantly and draining the battery. It is a circuit board problem that I dont think is fixable, at least at my skill level.
So:
I need to replace the radio. I only see two options:
1) Build a custom wiring harness adapter and fit a regular double din stereo. This would be ideal as I could leave all the climate control functions alone and factory.

2) Put in one of the Android Tesla systems. I am hesitant to trust the reliability of one of these systems.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the radio with navigation? I need to figure out what wire is what on the 28-pin connector.

Anyone done anything besides the Android systems?

some discussion on replacing the jbl system or amp here. it is not simple.

Thank you
some discussion on replacing the jbl system or amp here. it is not simple.

Thank You. It is starting to seem like the android based systems are the 'easiest' replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom