Builds 2010 gx460 CO build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whoa! I suck at build threads. OK, so let's see. Issues were discovered with the Ultraterrains. One of them was shaped like an egg, clearly saw it spin on a machine with my own eyes at another tire shop. Went back to Discount tire, said hell with these, and ordered some BFG KO2s, in 17s and put them on some TRD wheels:

IMG_20201020_142845.jpg

They helped, but when I took them to a 2nd shop for balancing, it was discovered two tires are still bad. Discount insists GX wheels are hub centric and balanced as such. The other, local tire shop says definitely not, these are lug centric balanced. Both shops insist they're right. The local shop gave me a significantly smoother ride after balancing, so I'll believe them. Unfortunately two of the BFGs are still bad- they wobble side to side. I've been going through BFG corporate to enable to the local tire shop to swap them out, I don't want to go back to Discount after they keep putting wobbly tires on and not balancing them right. BFG just agreed to swap them out through my local shop, so it looks like im going to 285/70/17, up from the 275/70/17s I currently have.

I put some morimotos in my low beams. They worked worse than the silverstar ultra 11s in there.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20201107164605148_COVER.jpg

So I swapped them out for some xenondepot HIDs with thr 4300K phillips bulbs, and they made a WOLRD of difference. They're incredibly bright, with a strong cutoff. No regrets, LEDs just felt dangerous after putting the HIDs in.

I messed around with my exhaust. I saw the Magnaflow Overland series, but for $650 it seemed like I could do something similar to that for a fraction of the price. I drove a straight pipe for a couple of weeks. It was fun to turn heads as I puttered around parking lots, but it was obnoxious at 3K and 70MPH driving up a grade to get home BLLLLAAAARRRGGGHHHHH
Screenshot_20201114-161732_Sound Meter.jpg

My first iteration was a Magnaflow 11xxx series muffler, dumping right before the axle. I "bolted" it in, starting right at the Ypipe. But that muffler honestly didn't make much difference. Maybe a bit quieter on normal acceleration, but still, BBLLLAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH climbing up a grade:
Screenshot_20201116-180529_Sound Meter.jpg

ew1.jpg

So I went to the longer, wide 12xxx series, and cleaned up the install once I committed to the measurements.
The 12xxx series is much better for me. It smooths out to a mellow tone at 3K RPM up a grade, is stock quiet on idle, and growls when getting on the gas. A much better compromise!

ok2.jpg

Still have to use those bulky ubolt clamps on the short downturn since they also acted as hangers for everything after the ypipe.

I also installed Diode Dynamics Sport (the cheapest) Fog lights. I had to modify the bracket to get them to fit, it was an easy zip with the dremel.

zip1.jpg

zip2.jpg

Honestly, I'm not impressed, at all. I took a quick, sub 10 minute drive, and they seemed not $180 significantly brighter than the h11 silverstar ultras I had in there prior. I tried calling them today but it was late, so I'll try calling DD tomorrow. Maybe I installed them incorrectly? I know I got the R + L sides correct. Are the chrome bezels supposed to come off? Did I reverse polarity? They're just... not that bright, not as bright as I was expecting when spending the extra to bypass the Luxeon drop ins. Do I just need to go to the next series up? Still.. I feel like I've had $50 pods/light bars that seemed like they had more output than these. Again, Less than 10 minutes on them, and maybe it's user error?

I have the ARB twin under hood also. I’m satisfied with performance airing up tires.

The toughest challenge I’ve put it through - on my adventure trailer, I just converted to air bag suspension. I used the ARB to inflate the air bags and found that the max pressure it will provide is 150 psi and it is slooooooow at that pressure.

Reactions: r2m
I have the ARB twin under hood also. I’m satisfied with performance airing up tires.

The toughest challenge I’ve put it through - on my adventure trailer, I just converted to air bag suspension. I used the ARB to inflate the air bags and found that the max pressure it will provide is 150 psi and it is slooooooow at that pressure.
I too have the same compressor under my hood. Agreed, it does slow down for me also when I'm airing up all four of my tires from 15 psi to 50 psi. This last weekend I was at 3 minutes/tire on average. The first two tires were closer to 2-2.5 minutes/tire, the last two tires closer to 3 minutes/tire.
But I do love it! I have a small 2 gal air tank I'm thinking about mounting under where my spare tire was. That'll help with airing up a little quicker.
But, hey, can't really complain airing up tires at a little over 2 minutes/tire!

Bummer hearing about the DD output, hopefully they have some ideas for a better result.

They're going to swap them out with the Pros, even though I'm past the return period, so that's cool. The guy I spoke with said Pros are their most popular and noticeably brighter than the sports. The thing is... all of a sudden I'm spending $300 on "auxiliary" lighting that only turns on with low beams, when it would be nice to have the option to use them when high beams are on. I could install them in a separate location, run them on a separate switch and drop some some cheaper Luxeon fogs in the stock location; but I was trying to avoid going down that hole of running a harness, installing a new switch...somewhere, and all that jazz. It would be nice if someone figured out how to jump the fogs on the 460 to be able to be on when high beams are on.

On that note, where is a good source to get a stock style rocker switch that fits in our panels?

Can't get to their website on my PC, but I've only bought through Rago Fabrication recently, they're like $5 ea right now. If I recall, the GX has only one size switch (for the typical blank locations), which is the smaller square one (vs the larger rectangular).

Other then that, I've just gone through Amazon. Tough to find both a quality one and the right backlight color sometimes though.

Last edited:
For bigger tire clearance on the front bumper, there's a single 10mm bolt just forward of that little "mud flap", if you drill a hole about 2 inches closer to the tire that it currently is and shift that plastic forward and reinstall the bolt, it provides enough clearance for my 285/75R17s. Also, one of the previous owners of my rig put LED fog lights in, not sure which ones, and they offer quite a bit of extra low-down light in the mountains. I'll also second with TX said; airing down off road is one of the best bang-for-buck ways to improve your ride quality. I'm about to buy a Powertank setup just for this reason. You can run something like an ARB on-board air compressor for about the same money. I offroad 10-20 times a year and the 15 lb Powertank setup should only need refilled once a year with that use and thus it's a more reliable option for me.
Have you bought your power tank? If so, where do you keep in the car?

I have the ARB twin compressor, on-board and it works great as long as I don't air down to 15 psi and/or re-inflate to 65 psi. I have the "LT" BFG M/T's and they're rated up to 85 psi, but in never go that high. I'd feel like I was on solid tire and probably rattle my teeth out at that pressure.
Anyways back to my point... Boy, can I rabbit trail!!
The ARB is great airing up to about 50 psi, but trying to do 4 tires with much more pressure without letting the compressor cool down, will take a looonnnng time.
I know it says that these compressors are 100% duty cycle, which basically means they will not over heat and shut down. But their psi output will significantly drop.
I'm actually thinking of getting a tank myself. After a long day of wheeling or foul weather, I don't look forward to squatting by each tire for 15 minutes to get up to 65 psi when a SCUBA tank can have it done in about 4 minutes/tire. (Actually, I usually just fill up to 50 psi and call it done till I get home.)
curious what you've ended up doing here. Have you purchased a scuba or power tank and if so how is it? And where do yo keep it?

I am trying to settle on an onboard air mod but the various choices are getting overwhelming. I like this option from viair but now sure where it would all fit in.

curious what you've ended up doing here. Have you purchased a scuba or power tank and if so how is it? And where do yo keep it?

I am trying to settle on an onboard air mod but the various choices are getting overwhelming. I like this option from viair but now sure where it would all fit in.
One of my buddies in our 4x4 club is also in a diving (SCUBA) club and is one of their officers. He has all kinds of tanks and fittings that people give him (after upgrading to better stuff) to sell for the club fund. Funny you should ask, He just called earlier today and said the tank he's selling me with all the hoses and fittings just came back from being static tested and it's good to go. I'll be picking it up in a couple of day.
Where I'll be putting it??? Don't know yet. I'll probably post something about it when I figure it out. I'm pretty packed out as it is when we're doing multi day overlanding.

I'll be picking it up in a couple of day.
Where I'll be putting it??? Don't know yet. I'll probably post something about it when I figure it out. I'm pretty packed out as it is when we're doing multi day overlanding.

cool! look forward to seeing an update. An ideal scenario is that we have something set up before we go to KOFA in a couple of months. Our current portable model takes about 30 minute to air up.

but yeah, cabin space is such a premium, particularly with a family. I wonder if we could even jerry rig something for putting a tank beneath the car. Thanks for the quick follow up!

Have you bought your power tank? If so, where do you keep in the car?

I did buy the power tank and just kept it loose in the cargo area (loose but secure from rolling around).

We loved how fast the tank filled the tires, but frustration grew from airing up a few times per trip when we’d hit a few miles of pavement in-between stretches of trails. To be confident we had enough air for a trip and 6 tires (the trailer included), I ended up filling it every 2-4 trips. Add too that the convenient shop that refilled it upped their price to $40 or so and a few times ask to keep it over night to refill and I just got turned off to it.

We sold it and now run an ARB compressor. The wife complains how long it takes to air up now though, but I feel it’s a better compromise. We have the single ARB, will probably get the dual for faster fills next time.

I did buy the power tank and just kept it loose in the cargo area (loose but secure from rolling around).

We loved how fast the tank filled the tires, but frustration grew from airing up a few times per trip when we’d hit a few miles of pavement in-between stretches of trails. To be confident we had enough air for a trip and 6 tires (the trailer included), I ended up filling it every 2-4 trips. Add too that the convenient shop that refilled it upped their price to $40 or so and a few times ask to keep it over night to refill and I just got turned off to it.

We sold it and now run an ARB compressor. The wife complains how long it takes to air up now though, but I feel it’s a better compromise. We have the single ARB, will probably get the dual for faster fills next time.
yeah, as I continue to research, I am settling on this path.

-twin ARB. Location: if it can fit in the side compartment in the rear as opposed to under the hood. May seem like a small thing but I figure if we're doing the work.. I don't want to have to worry about opening the hood every time we air up.

Here is my setup and I love how convenient it is.:
Start at post # 65, then drop down to post # 79. That will show were I keep my air attachments. 👍
I used the ARB compressor mount from Slee off road: SLEE - ARB Compressor Mount - '10+ 4Runner / GX460 - Slee Off Road - https://sleeoffroad.com/products/sok0027/
Popping the hood is not an issue since you're not going to driving anyways.

Here is my setup and I love how convenient it is.:
Start at post # 65, then drop down to post # 79. That will show were I keep my air attachments. 👍
I used the ARB compressor mount from Slee off road: SLEE - ARB Compressor Mount - '10+ 4Runner / GX460 - Slee Off Road - https://sleeoffroad.com/products/sok0027/
Popping the hood is not an issue since you're not going to driving anyways.

That is good stuff. Thanks for this. I'm going to spend some time going through your build thread.

Electrical is something else I'd like to get done. (this winter want to do Fridge, OBA, and electrical, maybe ham radio too (currently studying for license).

I'd ike to copy this setup. basically: Double battery, portable solar, and a couple auxiliary plugs for the car (and whatever connections need to be made to fridge, air, radio..)

That is good stuff. Thanks for this. I'm going to spend some time going through your build thread.

Electrical is something else I'd like to get done. (this winter want to do Fridge, OBA, and electrical, maybe ham radio too (currently studying for license).

I'd ike to copy this setup. basically: Double battery, portable solar, and a couple auxiliary plugs for the car (and whatever connections need to be made to fridge, air, radio..)
I've done pretty much everything you have listed. As you go through my thread, you'll see what I've done.
Me, I'm just about done with my build.
There are just few things I'd still like to get like a cell phone booster, air horn, a couple of minor steel plates for protection like for the window washer bottle and a few other minor things.
But as a whole, my wife and love our setup for overland, camping, exploring and anything off road!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom