2010 GX460 blinking 4LO, Check Engine and Slip lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting. I literally just changed it right _before_ adding the fuel system cleaner. I had my 5,000 mile service, brought it home, drove it about 30 miles until the lights came on, added enough gas to get it to half a tank, then added the fuel injector cleaner. Still think I think I should swap the oil based on a brand new oil service?

I'd look at it. If it's black I'd want to change it. Maybe wait until after you do the second treatment or decide not to.

I'd look at it. If it's black I'd want to change it. Maybe wait until after you do the second treatment or decide not to.

Good idea. I'll run a second round of treatment for overkill, and then drain a little bit of the oil and see what it looks like.

Reactions: r2m
Each time I have used fuel system cleaner the engine oil's looked dirty. I think some of the carbon makes its way past the rings. So you might want to change the oil.

Have you used the fuel system cleaner to actually resolve specific issues, or do you use it as a precaution/maintenance?

Good idea. I'll run a second round of treatment for overkill, and then drain a little bit of the oil and see what it looks like.
I've never had much luck draining just a little oil by unscrewing the drain plug. It's hard to get back in properly while oil is gushing out. There's a good chance of cross threading it or losing the washer. And 100% chance of making a mess.

I just look at the oil on the dipstick. Clean oil is nearly clear to somewhat amber colored (like an IPA). If the oil is black you can see that on most dipsticks. If it's a black dipstick then you can wipe it on a clean paper towel and look at that. Sorta black is tolerable, really black is not so ok. In my opinion. The black is tiny carbon particles. There are other ways oil can wear out, like reduction in viscosity. That's not going to happen from fuel treatment, just from too high temperatures and being used in an engine for a long time.

I just look at the oil on the dipstick. Clean oil is nearly clear to somewhat amber colored (like an IPA). If the oil is black you can see that on most dipsticks.

In my brain I was thinking that the carbon would settle in the pan, but you are right, it should get all mixed up into the mysterious unknown where the bottom of the dipstick sits too, so that will be a lot easier to check.

I've never had much luck draining just a little oil by unscrewing the drain plug. It's hard to get back in properly while oil is gushing out. There's a good chance of cross threading it or losing the washer. And 100% chance of making a mess.

I just look at the oil on the dipstick. Clean oil is nearly clear to somewhat amber colored (like an IPA). If the oil is black you can see that on most dipsticks. If it's a black dipstick then you can wipe it on a clean paper towel and look at that. Sorta black is tolerable, really black is not so ok. In my opinion. The black is tiny carbon particles. There are other ways oil can wear out, like reduction in viscosity. That's not going to happen from fuel treatment, just from too high temperatures and being used in an engine for a long time.
this is when a fumoto valve would come in handy, you could def only drain a little with that. It makes oil changes 100x less messy

Its the powertrain range control senor or I've seen it called neutral start switch assembly, there is a plastic part on the outside that cracks and fails over time. Mine went out a few months ago. Sits on the passenger side of the outside of the transmission, I didn't want to bother with it so I had a local shop install it.

Amazon product ASIN B00KTJDKMM8454060050

View attachment 3342793

View attachment 3342796

Can you confirm that your issue was exactly the same, in that it was throwing a p0304 as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom