2009 LC with 108,600 miles. Transmission shop says I need a rebuild at $4,437. Sound right? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hit the unlock button on the remote three times in a row, holding it down on the third press.

Not sure why this is in this thread...but...
It’s not necessary to press three times.
Just press and hold.

Check VSC System light intermittently came on. Toyota replaced the neutral safety switch and 30 miles later Check VSC System light came back on and was told to take it to a transmission shop. Now, transmission shop says I need a transmission overhaul/rebuild. Has anyone ever heard of a Land Cruiser transmission dying this early? The error was a P0705.

Lots of good advice so far in this thread. I would also suggest giving LexTech a call to see if they would take a look at it. That's as close to a LC shop in Charleston I can think of. I'd also bet on water/corrosion being the issue. That transmission work is not going to solve the problem IMO.

The 200 is very finicky on the electrical side of things. My LX had a ton of gremlins after I installed a dual battery setup. Turned out the dual battery setup was not managing the voltage within the specs the ECM liked so it would just puke up a Christmas tree of lights on the dash sporadically.

@corysmith32 I'd eat the $500 for now (preferably charge it to your credit card), try to find a competent Toyota (or Lexus) dealer or a really good indy mechanic to figure out the real issue. When you have it figured out and it's not a complete transmission failure, I'd then go back to the original shop and demand they refund your $500 for the improper diagnosis. If they don't, call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

@HGB when your transmission had issues how did you know? Just a check engine light or did it behave poorly (engagement issues, slipping, over-revving, etc?

@corysmith32 I'll check the diagrams to see where all of the above harness connectors are located. I don't think any of those in the troubleshooting steps above are along the floor so it seems odd that they'd be the culprit. Either way if you find a good independent mechanic and you need more diagnostic steps from the FSM just let me know.

FYI, A38, C19, and C53 harnesses are all under the hood. E52 is inside the vehicle underneath the center console by the gear shift.

I'd start with the C19 connector. Especially if the dealer thought it was the neutral safety switch.

1602596152017.png

1602596084357.png

1602595320497.png

@corysmith32 I'd eat the $500 for now (preferably charge it to your credit card), try to find a competent Toyota (or Lexus) dealer or a really good indy mechanic to figure out the real issue. When you have it figured out and it's not a complete transmission failure, I'd then go back to the original shop and demand they refund your $500 for the improper diagnosis. If they don't, call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

@HGB when your transmission had issues how did you know? Just a check engine light or did it behave poorly (engagement issues, slipping, over-revving, etc?

@corysmith32 I'll check the diagrams to see where all of the above harness connectors are located. I don't think any of those in the troubleshooting steps above are along the floor so it seems odd that they'd be the culprit. Either way if you find a good independent mechanic and you need more diagnostic steps from the FSM just let me know.

Mine would shudder intermittently. I suspect OP doesn’t actually have a transmission issue, especially as it displays zero symptoms.

Thansk @HGB. That's the transmission symptom I'd expect to see as well. Or slipping/sloppy enagagement.

Reactions: HGB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom