2004 LX 470 intermittent head unit failures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I have a 2004 LX470 mark levinson sound system with navigation. A few months ago I began to have an intermittent issue where the volume knob would not change the volume and adjusting the temperature would not give the "Beep" sound. Next, intermittently the bluetooth device I have installed (BT45-TOY) would not be recognized by the head-unit. Then intermittently the temperature control would not display or function. If I cycle the power to the head-unit by turning the ignition on and off some of these may regain function. If I drive for a while some of these may regain function if not working when I start the truck.

I can't find great diagnostics on how to find the causes of these issues. I don't even know if it's one issue or several. I'm resigned to the fact I'll likely be spending some serious money but I'd like to make a diagnosis to ensure I'm replacing only what needs to be replaced and not just unloading a very expensive parts cannon. I've attached a photo from the head-unit diagnostic screen at a single point in time (again things were intermittently not working here). I've seen similar issues but not these exact symptoms where people replaced the head-unit, the cassette unit, or the amp under the passenger seat (each around $700).

Has anyone had these exact symptoms or does anyone have a manual I can follow for these diagnostics? I have the FSM but don't see anything for this.
PXL_20240217_165716693.jpg
PXL_20240217_165833395.jpg

CD unit is replaced so NCON is expected.

Thanks for your time and any help.

I had my whole head unit stop working a few years ago — not intermittent, like you describe. I got a message on the screen to “check connection to the air conditioner” then the physical buttons stopped working under the screen. I had the local dealer replace the head unit with a reman version but that didn’t fix it, so they tried an AC amplifier and finally it was determined to be the gateway ECU that fixed it. There is a thread where I documented my issues and shared the part number — I’ll see if I can find that.

I had my whole head unit stop working a few years ago — not intermittent, like you describe. I got a message on the screen to “check connection to the air conditioner” then the physical buttons stopped working under the screen. I had the local dealer replace the head unit with a reman version but that didn’t fix it, so they tried an AC amplifier and finally it was determined to be the gateway ECU that fixed it. There is a thread where I documented my issues and shared the part number — I’ll see if I can find that.
Thanks for getting back to me! Is it this one?

Yep, hope this helps somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom