2004 GX470 Ratcheting Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok guys, I've searched both these forums and other forums on the internet and can't seem to figure out what my issue is. I've got a 2004 GX470 (KDSS replaced) with 110k on the clock. I've owned the vehicle for a few months now and about a month after purchase I started noticing a clicking/ratcheting sound during acceleration once I get to 30-35 MPH. It isn't servo motor as I can also hear that noise, but this noise seems to come from below the shifter and can be heard outside the vehicle when the windows are rolled down. The sound doesn't have a pattern/rhythm and my mechanic wasn't able to diagnose it because I couldn't get it to happen while he was riding with me. Any help or a steer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

I've posted a video below of the noise.

That's interesting and thanks for posting the video.

A couple questions, if I may:
1. When you say "during acceleration", do you mean the sound is only present when the truck actively accelerating to a higher speed? Or do you mean the sound is also present while cruising, just as long as you're at a certain speed range?

2. Did the mechanic look for loose components under the truck while on a lift? Like road debris or a loose heat shield?

That's interesting and thanks for posting the video.

A couple questions, if I may:
1. When you say "during acceleration", do you mean the sound is only present when the truck actively accelerating to a higher speed? Or do you mean the sound is also present while cruising, just as long as you're at a certain speed range?

2. Did the mechanic look for loose components under the truck while on a lift? Like road debris or a loose heat shield?

Thanks for the reply. It makes the noise both during acceleration and cruising at that speed. Also, had the mechanic put it on a lift and the only thing that he could discern was some play in the driveshaft. Everything else seemed rock solid. I️ Thought it could be the heat shield as well but that didn’t seem to be the issue.

Do you feel anything vibrating in the chassis when the noise happens, or with your hand on the transfer case shifter? How often does it occur? Only when the mechanic isn't listening?:bang:

Hey Dan Kunz, would a broken diff mount make that noise?

Yea of course it didn’t make the noise while he was with me. So frustrating. Not really any vibration felt during, just the strange noise. Literally have found nothing on this issue with GX470s. Mechanic thought it was safe to drive it in the meantime and didn’t seem to think it was transmission related as it shifts perfectly.

hmm, that is a new one. It seems to happen when the truck is disturbed (small bumps). Do you hear it on smooth roads? Almost sounds like the front drive shaft or a heat shield is tapping something.

upload_2017-11-15_20-33-53.png

Coming from almost the exact same spot....worth checking.

hmm, that is a new one. It seems to happen when the truck is disturbed (small bumps). Do you hear it on smooth roads? Almost sounds like the front drive shaft or a heat shield is tapping something.

Yes, it can be heard on smooth roads. Doesn’t seem to be the result of any bumps and only happens once it gets to 30-55 mph. I’ll def check out the exhaust in the same location as the one you posted. Thanks again for taking the time to find it.

UPDATE: Checked out the exhaust and wasn’t able to find anything that could be making that sound. I was riding with the windows rolled down this weekend and could hear it outside the car. It is LOUD and sounds more like a popping/clicking sound coming from the front of the vehicle. It is cold in Alabama this morning and my wife just called me to tell me it is even louder this morning.

Sounds like a bad CV

I should have clarified that it’s not so much a popping noise as much as it sounds like I’m running over an aluminum can over and over haha. I’ll have them check the CV joints as well but there is no noise made while turning, just straight-line driving. Could it be converter or something within the exhaust?

Turns out there was Zero grease in the transfer case from some bolts that came loose.

:eek::eek::eek: Aye yai yai!!! That ain't good news. I hope it is okay, though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom